McCall warns Jig....

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-boss-stuart-mccall-warns-5480520?

STUART McCALL has warned Lee McCulloch that his Hearts red card could cost him a place in Rangers' promotion push.

The Light Blues captain was handed a two-match ban after being sent off for an elbow on Jambos striker Osman Sow in the 2-1 win.

He'll begin that suspension by sitting out the trip to Queen of the South at Palmerston tomorrow before missing Sunday's clash with Raith.

McCulloch will miss next two Gers games Keith Campbell

And McCall admits McCulloch is not "undroppable" as his side push for second spot and momentum going into the play-offs.

He said: "Lee made a poor decision. I understand why he did it but it was a blatant red card. He led with his elbow and it was wrong - but he knows he was wrong.

"He has got to take his punishment and move on now. He has got a two-game ban - whether he gets back in the team thereafter we will see.

"Since I've been at the club he has done fine. He's been good in the dressing room and his performances have been good.

"If whoever comes in over the next two games does really well, then he might not get back in.

"He's not undroppable no, but at this moment in time with the games we have played he has done nothing to merit being dropped."

McCall also admits his players will not know their future at the club until the end of the season.

Twelve first team stars are out of contract in the summer, including McCulloch, Kris Boyd, Kenny Miller and Ian Black.

But the interim Gers boss believes the impending arrival of Dave King as chairman makes the end of season picture no clearer.

He insists Rangers have to know what league they will be playing in first.

He said: "I don't think it will be too long before Dave becomes chairman of the club, so that is another positive move.

"I'm not really (being kept up to date with what is going on off the field). I'm just concentrating on the football.

"I've spoken to a couple of directors about things but we have five games in 14 days so I'm just focusing on that.

"As for contracts, that can only be sorted when the club knows what league it's going to be playing in next season, so that is the key."

Last Sunday's win over title winners Hearts puts Rangers back into the driving seat for second spot.

Motherwell's 5-0 victory over Premiership basement boys St Mirren last night virtually sparing them of the automatic drop.

But McCall is not worried about meeting his former employers in the play-off final.

He said: "It's not looking likely at all because Motherwell are not going to finish in the bottom two - I hope.

"First and foremost we have to do our job and get in the play-offs.

"But I said when Motherwell signed Scott McDonald that I believed - and I still do - that they would have enough to get out of trouble."

McCall must first navigate his way past a tricky away trip to Queen of the South if he's to keep his unbeaten record since joining the club going.

He said: "I'm still aghast because I've just watched a video of the second half.

"I haven't showed the players because I think they know they were not in a good place at that time.

"The news about Ally broke on the afternoon of the game and it was just a down day.

"As much as Rangers underperformed, all credit goes to Queens. They are a good side, especially down there. We know how difficult it will be."

If the defence plays well in the next few games while McCulloch is out then he walks back into the team then he obviously does have a clause in his contract. It would be really disappointing if he walks back in the team unless its for footballing reasons.

The last bit of the article - we shouldn't be looking at who we could potentially be playing in a play off, we have to reach the final first which wont be easy as if its Hibs they will 100% be better prepared than the game last month. First we just need to take care of our job then worry about Motherwell, Ross County or Partick.

Is McCulloch still performing a coaching role or did that cease with the departure of McDowall and the arrival of Stuart McCall and Kenny Black?

A very interesting question!

Personally, I'd like to think that Jig won't have a permanent coaching role with us when his playing contract runs out because we need good quality, experienced coaches.

I wasnt even aware he was a coach. I dont see how his team mates can consider taking coaching advice from someone who has been one of our worst performing players.

What was your user name before you changed it? That has been making my pull my hair out today. :thup:

Say what you want about Jig, but he would not have ducked out of the way of any shot for the first and would have been in position for the second -- or fouled someone to stop the play! If Jig played, the first and second goals would not a gone in. I think we missed him; which says more about the cover we have than him to be fair. IMO.

(let me have it...!!!)

You clearly haven't watched Jig too much then if you think he would have blocked that first goal. At best he might have half-heartedly stuck out a leg rather then turned his back, but to say with any assertion he would have prevented that goal flies in the face of the many similar goals we have conceded with Jig at CH.

I really laughed out loud at your mentioning Jig being in position for the second goal, as you wont find many (any?) Bears that think Jig has got any positional ability whatsoever.

No argument that the choices we have at CH are not of a long-longed for standard, but Jig wouldnt make my top 6 at CH (or any position in the team)