McCall: Rangers would do well in Premiership.

I've adjusted the headline the morons at BBC Scotland decided on...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32542780

Rangers manager Stuart McCall believes Rangers would do well in the Scottish Premiership next season.

McCall is also confident should they fail to make it through the play-offs they will be promoted from the Scottish Championship within a year.

"If you look at Hamilton this season, top three until they lost their three best players, Dundee have finished top six," McCall told BBC Sportsound.

"If we were in the Premiership we would do well."

The Ibrox club trail Hibernian by a point ahead of the final day of the league season on Saturday, with McCall taking Rangers to champions Hearts, and Hibs travelling to fifth-placed Falkirk.

Whoever finishes third face a two-legged tie against Queen of the South, with the winner then playing the side who finishes second, over another two legs.

The winner of that tie will then play home and away against the side finishing 11th in the Scottish Premiership to determine who is in the top-flight next season.

"I believe if we were in the Championship next year we would get things right and bounce straight up," said McCall.

"If we got promoted, there might be a long way to go before we're challenging Celtic and possibly Aberdeen to maybe an extent."

McCall, who has taken charge until at least the end of the season, said their celebrations will be muted should they finish second ahead of Hibernian.

He said: "We are aiming to finish second but it won't have any impact on how play-offs finish.

"There are no favourites going into the play-offs, it comes down to who handles the games.

"There won't be a great deal of celebration if we finish second, because we won't have achieved anything."

McCall also believes the club are right to defy league bosses and allow season ticket holders into their play-off clashes for free.

That would breach the rules of the Scottish Professional Football League, which claims 50% of the gate receipts from each play-off match and shares it amongst its remaining clubs.

Rangers insist they will hand over half the cash they receive from the sale of one-off tickets, but their decision could cost the SPFL thousands of pounds.

"A full Ibrox would be a big advantage in the play-offs. It's totally right for the clubs," said McCall.

"When I bought season tickets you would get all the league games and pay for the cup games. The play-offs are classified as league games, so fans should be let in. The supporters have paid, they've shown loyalty in buying season tickets, they deserve to be there [for free]."

I'm confident if we go up this season (which I still believe we will) then Rangers are looking at a 2nd place finish next season at worse, with our superior resources and ability to attract quality footballers with the prospect of qualifying for European football the following year, then the sheep, the arabs and all the rest will soon discover at short shrift notice that the honeymoon is well and truly over.

Edited by Bearman

We have nothing to fear from the SPL - the quality is woeful and our resources should instantly have us hammering everyone apart from Celtic. We do, however, need significant investment, new players and a new manager.

If we are to do well next season, McCall will need to play no part in it. 5 wins in 10 is just abysmal.

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

Our resources should have had us hammering everybody in the lower leagues. Didn't quite happen. It's how the resources are applied and who's applying them that matters.

Our resources should have had us hammering everybody in the lower leagues. Didn't quite happen. It's how the resources are applied and who's applying them that matters.

Hence why I said we need significant investment, new players and a new manager.

We need to be investing in our infrastructure, particularly scouting, coaching and youth development. I'm not holding my breath.

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

I remember when the thread title would have had us thinking about England.

Changed days.

That's what I thought till I clicked in. I still have the SPL in my head, no amount of jiggery pokery to TRY and spice things up will change that.

His point simply is that those the teams beyond the top three in the Premiership are probably not much better than Falkirk, QotS, Hibs and Hearts. We all know that. And our team of mainly average-standard players can compete with those - and won't get relegated instantly. One has to keep in mind that the style of play up there will be and is somewhat different than what we face now (i.e. more often than not well drilled brick walls and pacy counter attacks), so those who can play football amongst our lot may actually be able to show their skills. (No sneering at the back!) Should we go up, the squad will most likely look rather different next season too*, so there is no need be overly negative about us holding our own up there. One can project all sort of shyte scenarios and horror experiences of 2014-15 to the next campaign, the truth though is that the future is not ours to see and we have no real clue what will happen in the next few months team- and clubwise.

*That will also be the case if we don't go up, of course.