[FT] Celtic 5 - 2 Rangers (Youth Cup Final 2015)

QUOTE=RANGERRAB;570030]It's called 'Jobs for the Boys'. Rangers is & always has been rife with this. If you're a 'Rangers man' then you get the job regardless of whether there's someone better. Classic example was McCoist becoming Rangers manager. No one would seriously suggest he was best candidate would they?

Walter was convinced and convinced everyone who would listen. That was our problem there.

Edited by SteveC

QUOTE=RANGERRAB;570030]It's called 'Jobs for the Boys'. Rangers is & always has been rife with this. If you're a 'Rangers man' then you get the job regardless of whether there's someone better. Classic example was McCoist becoming Rangers manager. No one would seriously suggest he was best candidate would they?

Walter was convinced and convinced everyone who would listen. That was our problem there.

I agree on the Walter side of things.

He did more harm than good, latterly on the football side. His recommendaton on Ally, Kenny and Durrant was an utter disaster.

I think we are also ignoring the lasting negative impact on the youth side of the Club thanks to Sinclair's "footballing beliefs". It will take a couple of years to shake off the archaic manner in which Sinclair operated. He went for big, physical types simply because he wanted to win games.

Craig Mulholland has only been in the job a few months but he is very highly thought of (as I said previously, a Premiership Club with a very successful youth program tried to hire him a year or two ago) and has a more progressive belief in how football should be played. He likes it played on the deck and doesn't mind if a kid is smaller so long as he can play football the right way.

Durrant has his team playing in the "Mulholland way" - but we should also remember that he has only had them for a couple of months. It is highly unlikely that a coach can completely break down and re-coach players that quickly who haven't been used to playing free-flowing football. Durrant deserves time, at least next season anyway, to see if he can turn the fortunes around.

We have an awful lot of good youth players at U15 and down who like to play the game properly, on the ground, pass and move football - with Mulholland preferring that style of play I am hopeful that we will see greater success in the next few years. Durrant played that way as a player himself so you know he will want his team playing that way..... can he coach it ? I don't think he has had the time to be either proven or disproven.