Latest Scottish football league reconstruction plan will be welcomed by all fans

There's a reason none of the top leagues in Europe use mid-season splits and daft systems where 2 leagues split into 3 for part of the season and the reason is that it doesn't make any sense.

Other than the 18 team Bundesliga the top leagues in Europe all use simple, logical systems with large premier leagues of 20 teams. The teams only play each other twice which stops it becoming monotonous and the system works flawlessly.

The Italian football league system would be absolutely perfect for Scotland because they have 42 teams like us, 20 teams in Serie A and 22 teams in Serie B with 3 regional leagues beneath that creating a pyramid system. That is exactly what Scotland needs to go for.

Edited by Zappa

I quite like it...but I'd like to think it's not something that would affect us ie we'd never be involved in the middle section!

Would anyone be in the least bit interested in the middle section?

There's a reason none of the top leagues in Europe use mid-season splits and daft systems where 2 leagues split into 3 for part of the season and the reason is that it doesn't make any sense.

Other than the 18 team Bundesliga the top leagues in Europe all use simple, logical systems with large premier leagues of 20 teams. The teams only play each other twice which stops it becoming monotonous and the system works flawlessly.

The Italian football league system would be absolutely perfect for Scotland because they have 42 teams like us, 20 teams in Serie A and 22 teams in Serie B with 3 regional leagues beneath that create a pyramid system. That is exactly what Scotland needs to go for.

Bigger countries have more bigger clubs hence they can have 18 or 20 club leagues.

However smaller countries like ours do not have many big clubs hence smaller league sizes.Back in 1975 when the old 10 club premier division started the main reason for this was to get rid off the number of meaningless games we had in the old 18 club first division.I'm not convinced going back to an 18 club top flight would be a good idea for that reason alone

Edited by RANGERRAB

Bigger countries have more bigger clubs hence they can have 18 or 20 club leagues.

However smaller countries like our do not have many big clubs hence smaller league sizes.Back in 1975 when the old 10 club premier division started the main reason for this was to get rid off the number of meaningless games we had in the old 18 club first division.I'm not convinced going back to an 18 club top flight would be a good idea for that reason alone

We already have the 42 SPFL teams and the lower level regional leagues ('senior non-league') required to do it almost exactly like the Italians do, so the number of Clubs isn't an issue at all.

People always bring up the 'meaningless games' subject when discussing larger leagues, but it doesn't make any sense to me because every single team in a larger league should always have several things to play for. They're playing for their Club, their Club's supporters, league position, prize money and the players are also playing for their contracts, livelihood, potential moves to bigger clubs and the possibility of national team call-ups.

There's always something to play for.

However smaller countries like ours do not have many big clubs hence smaller league sizes.Back in 1975 when the old 10 club premier division started the main reason for this was to get rid off the number of meaningless games we had in the old 18 club first division.I'm not convinced going back to an 18 club top flight would be a good idea for that reason alone

I reckon us, Hearts, Falkirk and Queens could hold their own in the spl

We already have the 42 SPFL teams and the lower level regional leagues ('senior non-league') required to do it almost exactly like the Italians do, so the number of Clubs isn't an issue at all.

People always bring up the 'meaningless games' subject when discussing larger leagues, but it doesn't make any sense to me because every single team in a larger league should always have several things to play for. They're playing for their Club, their Club's supporters, league position, prize money and the players are also playing for their contracts, livelihood, potential moves to bigger clubs and the possibility of national team call-ups.

There's always something to play for.

And is 42 SPFL teams not far too many for a country the size of Scotland?

Would it not be better to have about half that figure in two divisions?

And is 42 SPFL teams not far too many for a country the size of Scotland?

Would it not be better to have about half that figure in two divisions?

No definitely not. Who's going to make the decision and then tell 20 or 22 historic Scottish football clubs that they're no longer welcome in the Scottish Professional Football Leagues? That's just crazy. These historic wee clubs in the lower leagues need our help, not a kick in the bollocks and told to GTF because they're not wanted.