Latest Scottish football league reconstruction plan will be welcomed by all fans

"There would be hundreds of meaningless games." - gs

And there we have it. The attitude of journos and the modern fan. If your team is not going to win the competition it's not worth it. But every single match is a competition. Can your team beat that shower from Aberfermlinenock on a Saturday afternoon? Old fashioned and from journos' point of view boring outlook but why else watch WBA v Stoke for example.

There would be hundreds of meaningless games.

You know, that is quite embarrassing a view. We live in a different dimension, of course, but I have the greatest respect for those souls who follow their team through thick and thin despite knowing that their club's greatest ever achievements happened 120odd years in the past and that success these comes in avoiding the drop or happen to play almighty Dundee or Kilmarnock in one of the cups. Yet, they turn out in their small towns and villages, a couple or hundreds or more, week in and week out. That is the heart of football and it means a LOT for those people that they have a football club. And after 120odd years, some people happen by and tell them that their clubs play meaningless games and there needs to be reconstruction for "the sake of the game" (i.e. ways to make money of it, rather than for it)?

Honestly, this whole split stuff has been garbage from start to finish. No matter what happens or how the Scottish league will be structured ... and/or unless someone puts serious money into the "New Firm" or the like, Rangers and the Hooped Huns will dominate the game for decades to come. They did make it more interesting with the play-offs (even though the system between Championship and Premiership is rubbish too (even though it helps us this time around)). Yet, for the sake of the Scottish game and clubs right now, it would be more helpful if the Old Firm plays every team 4 times a season, as it puts more money into the coffers of the "lesser" sides. As it stands, the bigger clubs will benefit most, as they will play the OF more often after the split (a bit akin to the elitist SPL). Of course, the grandest failure ever was to vote Rangers out of the SPL, so competition went straight out of the window ... only that the bampots at Aberdeen, Dundee United and Co. did not see that with their ego being in orbit. It would thus be a certain satsifaction that - should we beat Motherwell and return - three of the voting, short-sighted SPL sides would be down a division. Dunno, whether Dunfermline was given a vote back then too, but we know where they ended up.

I would prefer a similar system as in Germany, with three bigger leagues and regional leagues below that. 3 leagues with 14 teams, two straight relegation/promotion places and a play-off spot. Is 28 games too few for a season? If so, make the league cup a meaningful affair again and introduce 2-legged matches. IIRC, we had that when I started following the Gers.

Edited by der Berliner

all that would be fine if the supporters of these clubs didn't desert in droves when the meaningless games come along.

the games are meaningless and the crowds reflect it. even at rangers.

And could clubs sell ST's not knowing who they'd be playing against in the second half of the season following the split?

all that would be fine if the supporters of these clubs didn't desert in droves when the meaningless games come along.

the games are meaningless and the crowds reflect it. even at rangers.

There are not droves down amongst the teams that I spoke of. I care little for the Premiershipp teams here, they dug their own graves. I speak about the League Two and One sides who hardly have had more than 500 to 2k crowds anyway. What do we know about their local derbies, arch-enemy games et al down there to decide what is "meaningless"?

Absolutely terrifying prospect, not the thought that one day being gay might be made compulsory. But the thought that we could become even half a Tim, stuff of nightmares.

It's not something I'm wishing for but if Rangers and Celtic play to poorer crowds, fail repeatedly in Europe as the Scottish League becomes like the one just over the Irish Sea, and if they struggle to compete with CL glamour, any commercial suggestion that a merger could have them playing as one in the EPL will be seriously looked at.

Did you ever imagine that the Irish Republic would one day vote for the legalisation of men marrying other men?

The future is a very strange place and it almost never turns out the way we expect it to.

So, gs, Motherwell v Partick Thistle and indeed Aberdeen v Dundee - no point in these fixtures is there?

The answer is simple. Rangers play celtic thirty one matches a season or better still until one team has sixteen wins and then we can all go to the pictures or the beach or wherever else we want to be bored.

Fifthly, here's one for the future. Rangers and Celtic to merge into a superclub which will be welcomed into the top league in England. Sleep on that.

I've slept on it and decided that you were either taking the mickey or are not a Rangers fan.