McCall accepts Well's plight

Rangers manager Stuart McCall admits he feels partly to blame for Motherwell's place in the Premiership play-off final against the Ibrox side.

McCall quit as Motherwell boss earlier this season following a poor run of results but says he must now focus on trying to relegate them.

"I've got to take a share of the blame for what has happened," he said ahead of Thursday's first leg at Ibrox.

"I never once envisioned Motherwell would be anywhere near the bottom."

McCall led the Steelmen to third place in his first year in charge at Fir Park followed by back-to-back runners-up slots, the latter two while Rangers were in Scottish football's bottom two tiers.

But he departed after registering only two wins from his side's first 12 games this term.

He said: "The reason I left was that, after finishing best of the rest three years running, we had a poor start after getting a lot of injuries and I could only see us fighting for that sixth spot.

"I felt that would be a challenge that I just didn't have in me any more. I didn't have the energy or drive any more.

"So I thought it would be better to let someone come in and refresh the place."

His position at Fir Park has been filled by Ian Baraclough, while at Ibrox, since joining Rangers in March, McCall has reinvigorated a squad that was struggling under Ally McCoist and Kenny McDowall earlier in the campaign.

McCall said in early April that it would be "a nightmare" if Rangers were to meet Motherwell in the play-offs.

However, now that has transpired, he is determined to lead Rangers to the top tier at Well's expense.

"Since I've had a pair of football boots at four years old, I've always wanted to win," the 50-year-old said.

"My kids will tell you that I've left them in tears at times after beating them at Monopoly.

"It's how I am. And just like Keith Lasley, Stevie Hammell and the rest will be wanting to win for Motherwell, it's in me to do the same.

"Football can be ruthless, but this is just the way it has turned out.

"I'm quite a loyal person and I had almost four brilliant years at Motherwell. But my thoughts on that and what comes next for them will only come after Sunday's match.

"I'm fully focused on doing the job I came here to do. Rangers are my club and we want to get promoted."

Bit of a self defeatist comment in bold. Not sure why he would need to come out with this prior to the game, admitting he his part responsible wont install much confidence in our club.

The above is really why we need to look for better in the summer.

Ally did the same and resigned when the going got tough and his team's prospects for the season looked bleak. Ally did have some very serious off-field issues to deal with including the redundancies of long serving members of Rangers staff, but I personally think he did almost exactly the same as McCall did at Motherwell and bailed because the tide was against him.

Ally did the same and resigned when the going got tough and his team's prospects for the season looked bleak. Ally did have some very serious off-field issues to deal with including the redundancies of long serving members of Rangers staff, but I personally think he did almost exactly the same as McCall did at Motherwell and bailed because the tide was against him.

Are you talking about Ally McCoist? He was put on Gardening leave surely and didn't resign. Well he resigned a year in the future, is that the same?

That's an outrageous statement to make. McCall recognised that he had run out of the energy required to manage that team properly and had the dignity and professionalism to resign his position to allow someone else to take over, for the good of the team and the club. The fact that the board screwed up an appointed Barraclough is a different matter.

Far from giving up "when the going got tough" or "the tide was against him", McCall had the honesty, humility and character to recognise that the job was one that he was no longer the best man for and he fell on his sword accordingly.

A man with those qualities will always do for me as manager of Rangers.

When the 10 clubs voted Rangers out the SPL in 2012 a direct consequence of that decision was that they all had to cut their budgets.

Now Motherwell could be about to pay the price for that. St Mirren & hibz already have

That's an outrageous statement to make. McCall recognised that he had run out of the energy required to manage that team properly and had the dignity and professionalism to resign his position to allow someone else to take over, for the good of the team and the club. The fact that the board screwed up an appointed Barraclough is a different matter.

Far from giving up "when the going got tough" or "the tide was against him", McCall had the honesty, humility and character to recognise that the job was one that he was no longer the best man for and he fell on his sword accordingly.

The only argument against that is would McCall have gave up that job had he been the highest paid manager in the country?

A failed Motherwell manager will never be fit to manage Rangers.

That's an outrageous statement to make.

I don't think what I wrote was outrageous at all and it wasn't intended to be a statement of fact either, merely an opinion.