Warburton off to under 21's Euro Championships

I would love to copy a Chilean approach, however unrealistic it may be: energetic, fast, technically proficient young players, but almost 'stock' players, no superstars; and combine that with the most progressive, high pressure, technical game you'll ever see in Bielsa's tactics (and his disciples) and it makes for a fascinating team/game (3-3-1-3 formation! Who doesn't want to see that!) I like the idea of no superstars, but working players, with good technical ability, that can play in a number of positions.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/former-brentford-manager-mark-warburton-to-travel-to-european-under21-championship-as-he-ponders-next-move-10297700.html

GIUSEPPE MURO

Published: 04 June 2015 Updated: 15:50, 04 June 2015

Mark Warburton will travel to the European Under-21 Championship later this month as he considers his next move in football.

Warburton is out of work after leaving Brentford and has held informal discussions with several clubs including Rangers about a job.

While he thinks about his future, the 52-year-old will spend nine days in the Czech Republic as part of the FA UEFA Pro Licence coaching course.

"It will be a good experience," he said. "I am looking forward to continuing my education, that is what the course is about. We will watch a number of games out there and there are a lot of people you can learn from and pick their brains.

"We get back from there on June 24, then if discussions go any further then very good. If they do not, then you have to put head down and hope opportunities come up."

I was looking at the squads of the U-21 European Championship teams (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_UEFA_European_Under-21_Championship_squads). We should be poaching the young talent from countries/leagues that are inferior/less wealthy than ours. The Scandinavian leagues are considered lesser than ours are they not? There are some decent names in their squads we should seriously consider. I always notice that they get picked up by Dutch sides if they show any promise -- we should get in there first!

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/9487-warburton-headed-to-euros

RANGERS manager Mark Warburton has travelled to Prague for the European under-21 finals after spending his first full day at Murray Park yesterday.

Englishman Warburton was unveiled as the new Gers boss on Monday at Ibrox Stadium, with Light Blues legend Davie Weir joining him as his assistant manager.

Both men signed a three year deal and their priorities shifted straight away towards planning for the new season with the fixtures set to be released tomorrow and the draw for the first round of the Petrofac Training Cup on the 29 June.

With eleven players leaving the Gers at the end of the season, the Light Blues, under the guidance of Warburton and Weir will need to rebuild the squad.

Plans for preseason matches are yet to be confirmed too, with the players due to return from their close season break at the end of this month.

Warburton tweeted: "Sincere thanks for the warm messages of welcome. Facilities are outstanding and I'm looking forward to meeting up with the staff and the players."

The Light Blues manager has travelled to the Czech Republic and will take in some of the latter stages of the tournament which started yesterday and will run until the Final in the Eden Stadium on the 30 June.

It is the first time the Czech Republic – championship winners in 2002 – will have staged the U21 finals, and the country's first national team event since the 2008 UEFA European U19 Championship.

I was looking at the squads of the U-21 European Championship teams (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_UEFA_European_Under-21_Championship_squads). We should be poaching the young talent from countries/leagues that are inferior/less wealthy than ours. The Scandinavian leagues are considered lesser than ours are they not? There are some decent names in their squads we should seriously consider. I always notice that they get picked up by Dutch sides if they show any promise -- we should get in there first!

I've said that for years although I would think it would be more difficult to do, the younger the players are. You can't expect an 18 year old to leave his home, family and friends and move to a completely different country and culture where they don't know anyone. To do so to play for the second tier would hardly be an incentive and even in the Premiership, it's not exactly football heaven.

As usual we'd have to pay a level of compensation in their wages to entice them resulting in our usual position of not getting good value for our money when it comes to wages, and also attracting those that are more interested in what they can earn rather than achieving excellence.