Jackson - Rangers Next Captain?

Yes i told it weeks ago as well but since then warburton has came in and said he has final say on all transfers. Taking it the manager will not be over ruled

His agent said the deal was all agreed he would be coming to rangers as long as hibs do not go up. He also said he would have signed before but mccoist screwed them over. Wouldn't elaborate.

:tu: Thanks.

JOHN EUSTACE will arrive in Glasgow tomorrow for face-to-face talks with Mark Warburton about becoming the cornerstone of his big Rangers rebuild.

Record Sport revealed on Saturday the 35-year-old veteran tops Warburton’s list of summer signing targets and the new Ibrox boss sees Eustace as the club’s next captain.

The pair were in talks over the weekend while Warburton was at the European Under-21 Championship in the Czech Republic.

Eustace has agreed to travel north to further the discussions and have a tour of the stadium and training facility.

He is available as a free agent after being released by Derby and is also being chased by Leeds and

Sheffield Wednesday.

Wigan defender Rob Kiernan, 24, is expected in Glasgow today for a medical and will become Warburton’s first signing.

Talks with ex-Hearts skipper Danny Wilson continue and a decision is expected this week.

But Warburton is not believed to be interested in Danish Under-21 Jens Jonsson after claims Rangers and Hearts were after the Aarhus defender.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-manager-mark-warburton-set-5926293?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Edited by chilledbear

Rangers new boss last night spoke for the first time about his shock move to bring in the freed Derby County John Eustace who, at 35, is also currently going through rehabilitation following knee surgery.

Warburton knows there’s growing scepticism over his enthusiasm to make the injured Eustace a part of his bold new era despite the fact he last kicked a ball in anger back on January 10 — and was sent off too.

But Warburton told SunSport: “John’s a player I know very well. I worked with him at Watford. He is an OUTSTANDING professional.

“I’ll have a chat with John and his representatives and we’ll see what happens.

“I know he’s 35. But do you remember when Davie Weir came to Rangers? What was he, 35, 36? And he didn’t too badly did he?

“Davie had a magnificent five years at Rangers, winning plenty of trophies, playing in the Champions League and being a fantastic influence on everyone.

“I love working with young players, but there’s a need for one or two older heads.

“Of course, you want young, hungry players in the team — however, they need guidance.”

Warburton rated talk that Eustace has already been earmarked as captain as ‘premature’.

And he admitted that even if a deal is quickly agreed then it’s unlikely he’ll be fit for the July 25 kick-off.

Warburton said: “John’s now in a good rehab programme and he’ll be four or five weeks away. But if he comes to the club then I’m sure he provide outstanding value.

“Any player we bring in has to be right for the team and Rangers. I want value from every signing.

“We’re not going to be paying over the odds for ANYONE. That just won’t happen.”

Rob Kiernan’s £220,000 move from Wigan is poised to be confirmed while Warburton’s also desperate to secure a second spell at Ibrox for Danny Wilson.

He said: “Rob’s a very good central defender and an outstanding passer. I’ve known him since he was 12.

“I know he’s very excited about the challenge at Rangers and hopefully we can push things through in the next couple of days.

“We’re in talks with other players — but I don’t want to discuss any more individuals.”

Warburton’s accepted there’s going to be far greater scrutiny on him as Rangers boss than being in charge at Brentford.

Family time will also be more severely affected — as he stays alone in Glasgow for the immediate future and returns to his permanent London home wherever possible.

As he waited for a plane to Glasgow last night, Warburton said: “I think I’ve seen my wife for about 35 MINUTES in the last week and a half! I’m joking a bit, but the time’s flown past and there’s so much to do.

“My family won’t be joining me for now. There’s a realisation of how much work I’ve got to do to settle in, prepare the team, bring in new players and get things moving forward.

“This is a huge challenge, there’s a lot to do — and I’m ready to give it everything I can.

“Thankfully, my wife is very understanding.”

A conversation with a member of the Murray Park staff just hours after he’d been unveiled as boss by directors Paul Murray and John Gilligan hit home to Warburton how much Rangers means to people.

He revealed: “I talked with someone — it wouldn’t be fair to name him — and he spoke about his pride in Rangers and his desire to see the club get back to where it belongs.

“I left that private conversation with a real appreciation of his feeling for Rangers. I found it a comfort.

“It’s a great club with great fans and great people working within it. I recognise the job I have and I want to play my part in making them even prouder of the club.

“Everyone here has to be professional, we have to do the right things on and off the field. We must have a pride in what we do and a real belief.”

http://www.cfclatest.com/2013/06/22/eustace-is-an-outstanding-pro-warburton/

I'm really quite content with us going for Eustace. Everything I hear is good. Warburton rates him. If he can play for another few years it'd be worth it. Like he said, "you want young, hungry players in the team — however, they need guidance."

Disappointing -- if true -- that we're not going after the young Dane; just the kind of signing I'd like to see.

I'm not sure what to make of Eustace and it's certainly not the most exciting signing but putting it in some perspective we have lacked leadership in the last few years as our record shows, Jig wasn't really up to that task.

By way of comparison, that Man U "kids" team everyone likes to use as an example of what clubs should do (even though it's never been repeated), their captain was Steve Bruce at 34-35 years old. Other slightly older "kids" in the team were Schmeichel 31, Palister 30, McClair 31, Hughes 31, and between all 5, they played an average of over 35 games each.

I don't remember the last time I met a guy in his twenties that I thought had top leadership skills - they seem to get more immature by the generation, or maybe I'm just getting to an age where they all seem like silly kids. People tend to mature a lot more by their 30's and I'd rather have my team's captain on the wrong side of that landmark birthday.

However, playing much beyond 35 is pretty exceptional even these days, so it does seem a short term proposition - yes he could go on like Weir but that's not guaranteed. On the other side, being in the second tier means we can't attract top candidates and so maybe a more temporary fix is necessary for now to get us to the top again, while developing our team and squad elsewhere, with a few older heads passing down their knowledge and experience to develop the youngsters.

You've got to hope that by being able to play and be highly rated in the English championship for the last couple of years should mean that he's got a couple more years to excel at the much lower level we're playing against.

I'm heartened by the good stuff I've heard about him today, but still a bit worried about his fitness for a whole season.

I'm really quite content with us going for Eustace. Everything I hear is good. Warburton rates him. If he can play for another few years it'd be worth it. Like he said, "you want young, hungry players in the team — however, they need guidance."

Disappointing -- if true -- that we're not going after the young Dane; just the kind of signing I'd like to see.

He's just had double knee surgery and hardly featured last season. At almost 36 I can't think of many recent midfielders who have played on until they are 40, at what to us is a level considered a decent standard (SPL).

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

He's just had double knee surgery and hardly featured last season. At almost 36 I can't think of many recent midfielders who have played on until they are 40, at what to level is considered a decent standard (SPL).

How about Ryan Giggs playing at a much higher level than the SPL? For Eustice, I think we're thinking more like 37 for his shelf life with one season in the Scottish second tier.

Just had a look at that one squad from Man U from 94-95 and found the following playing at a decent level till at least 37:

Bruce 38, Irwin 38, Schmeichel 39, Ince 38, Hughes 38, Giggs 40, Walsh 38, Kanchelskis 37, Cole 37, Scholes 38, Beckham 38. (Don't know exact dates so could be out by one year.)

That's a whole team...

Doesn't seem that unusual. Looks like we can reasonably hope for two years out of the guy.

He's just had double knee surgery and hardly featured last season. At almost 36 I can't think of many recent midfielders who have played on until they are 40, at what to us is a level considered a decent standard (SPL).

I understand your reservations. He hardly played last year because of the injury. I don't think Warburton (and Sheffield Wed and Leeds Utd for that matter) would even consider signing him if they thought the injury was going to inhibit his ability to play next year. He played 39 games last year at 34; I don't think another year is going to make a difference. It's undoubtedly a short-term acquisition. We have a lot of young players, and the new signings would appear to be young also, so I think we need that experience. I think he'd be useful next year and possibly the year after. It's a free transfer, so it's not as if we're taking a big gamble.

With the standard of player at the club being so low I really want to see each signing as being of a higher calibre than the player they are replacing.

Taking the will/won't he be fit enough to play out of it I would rate Eustace a better DM than black. So happy in that respect. Not sure if the gamble on fitness will workout but that's warburtons gamble to make.

Allan in my opinion is not a better right mid than vuckic. He passing reminds me of charlie Adams, can hit a 40 yarder one minute then the next 4 yard pass he gives away. He plays a better through ball then vuckic and crosses better but will score far less and can't beat a player as good as vuckic. All in don't think he's an improvement to the squad.. Was really hoping for a talent better than vuckic

Wilson if he can produce the form he had next to weir would be a great signing. Whether he can find that form that's been missing for years I am unsure if not downright sceptical. For free he's a decent signing that could produce a return in the future so can live with it. My main concern is he's a bit of a mercenary and only looking to up his wage by playing teams off each other.

Keirnan is more the type of signing I was looking forward to evaluating. Young relatively cheap but shows promise and is well known to the manager. Can't say I know anything about the guy so looking forward to seeing him play.

Would imagine we will sign 7 players. If the 4 mentioned are true I really hope the next 3 catch the imagination more. Otherwise it will be squeaky bum time again!