Official: Wes Foderingham Signs Three Year Deal

I must admit to being slightly underwhelmed at this signing. A keeper who has spent 4 years in the third tier of English football with nobody exactly burning down a path to his door despite being able to sign for anyone on a free from 1 Jan.

If MW thinks he can get by with players from this level to win the second tier here then he is probably right, but issuing 3/4 year contracts to a guy like this who has not shown enough to interest any of the clubs in the top two divisions in England over the last four years does not remind me of signing Chris Woods or Andy Goram.

While we absolutely must win the title this year, we also must be ready to meet our 16-17 challenge head on, and players from the third tier of English football are not going to be good enough to see us to the top of our game, and into Europe again. I would have no problem if we gave the guy a 1 or 2 year contract to see us through the top flight, and we can always issue a longer better contract if he turns out to be any good, but issuing 3 or 4 years deals to someone who has only ever played a million miles below where we want to play doesnt sound right to me.

Regular English Championship players are fair enough for where we are, League one is pushing it a bit too far for me. I wish the guy well and the manager gets a free pass to sign who he wants with the amount of positions needing filled, and it may be he likes Bell and wants a solid back-up, but I dont see a 24yo coming on a 3/4 year deal to be backup. He might not be making marquee signings given our financial position, but he better start signing some players that will excite a lot of Bears to buy ST's.

Championship teams were interested mate which is why he decided to leave (after January I believe). It wouldn't surprise me if Warburton spoke to him around March/April when (as some folk suggest) he was tipped off he'd get the RFC job.

I agree he may not have mass appeal on the face of it but he's a youngish lad who's proven reliable at a reasonable level of football for a few years now and clearly has the potential to do well. He certainly seems a step up from the Simonsens and Robinsons of this world and will certainly provide genuine competition for the unreliable Bell.

Edited by Frankie

I must admit to being slightly underwhelmed at this signing. A keeper who has spent 4 years in the third tier of English football with nobody exactly burning down a path to his door despite being able to sign for anyone on a free from 1 Jan.

If MW thinks he can get by with players from this level to win the second tier here then he is probably right, but issuing 3/4 year contracts to a guy like this who has not shown enough to interest any of the clubs in the top two divisions in England over the last four years does not remind me of signing Chris Woods or Andy Goram.

While we absolutely must win the title this year, we also must be ready to meet our 16-17 challenge head on, and players from the third tier of English football are not going to be good enough to see us to the top of our game, and into Europe again. I would have no problem if we gave the guy a 1 or 2 year contract to see us through the top flight, and we can always issue a longer better contract if he turns out to be any good, but issuing 3 or 4 years deals to someone who has only ever played a million miles below where we want to play doesnt sound right to me.

Regular English Championship players are fair enough for where we are, League one is pushing it a bit too far for me. I wish the guy well and the manager gets a free pass to sign who he wants with the amount of positions needing filled, and it may be he likes Bell and wants a solid back-up, but I dont see a 24yo coming on a 3/4 year deal to be backup. He might not be making marquee signings given our financial position, but he better start signing some players that will excite a lot of Bears to buy ST's.

I'm on the fence. We aren't going to be getting any 1st choice keeper from a higher division in England and that level is still miles better than the SPL. That said, focusing on lower division English players will see us dumped out of the Europa League very early and as for the CL, I'm not sure I can envisage us ever getting to the group stages again. Everything in moderation and that should include players who are ultimately second (or more to the point third) rate English league players. Hopefully our future sees us implementing a global scouting network and developing our own players as you get very little value for money in England, nor do any of their decent players want to play here.

A Woods or a Goran would cost in the region if 6-10 million in today's market. Please explain what relevance that reference counts for Rangers in 2015????