Stevie Smith - You are not going to hear me say a bad word about Rangers

Stevie Smith - You are not going to hear me say a bad word about Rangers

New Kilmarnock signing Stevie Smith insists he will not stick the boot into his former club Rangers.

The left-back was among 11 players whose Ibrox contracts were not renewed after the Light Blues blew their chance at winning promotion to the Ladbrokes

Premiership.

But the likes of Kris Boyd - who has joined Smith at Rugby Park - Richard Foster, Jon Daly and Ian Black have all hit out at the way their departures were handled.

Chairman Dave King claimed the axed players had "failed miserably'' whilst at the club, while Black claimed Gers had not even bothered to inform him his

services were no longer required after his deal expired.

But Smith admitted last season's Ibrox squad deserved the flak directed their way as he refused to criticise the club.

The 29-year-old said: "When you play at a club the size of Rangers you are going to come in for some criticism. But you've just got to go out and prove people wrong.

"There is no doubting we deserved that criticism but now it's about proving to myself that I can still play in the top division.

"Listen, I've been associated with Rangers since I was 10 years old. I was fortunate enough to play there twice.

"It's a great football club and I enjoyed every minute of being there.

"Last season was difficult, everybody knows that, but you are not going to hear me say a bad word about Rangers. I grew up at that club and It's still a great place to play. I wish them all the best for next season.

"I hope they are heading in the right direction now and I hope they come up next season. But I'm concentrating on Kilmarnock now and I'm looking forward to having a good season here.''

Smith is now settling into life at Killie after being handed a three-year deal by boss Gary Locke.

As well as his two spells at Rangers, the defender has also featured for Norwich, Aberdeen, Preston and MLS outfit Portland Timbers and that experience has made adjusting to life at Rugby Park easier.

"I think as you get older you get used to it a bit more,'' he explained.

"The first time I moved I was probably a bit more nervous than I was the first time.

"But I know a few of the boys here having played against them over the years and that always makes it a bit easier.

"Having Kris here also helps. He's still as annoying as he's ever been but it helps to have a friendly face with me.

"He's been here before and he told me about the club before I came. Having heard that, it was really a no-brainer for me to come here.

"I think we've got to aim for the top six. The last few seasons have obviously been disappointing but they managed to scrape through and stay in the division.

"Now we have signed five or six players who are looking to take the club back into the top half.''

http://www.brechinadvertiser.co.uk/sport/scottish-sport/no-bad-blood-for-killie-new-boy-1-3827569

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/stevie-smith-ibrox-exit-you-6043075

... full link to follow

Edited by Zappa

To be fair it shows a bit of respect and professionalism on his part I think his colleagues should have done the same , as for the wages if a club wants to triple your wages then it isn't really the players fault. At least the wee man was there to the end trying to get us promoted we had a manager jump ship and getting paid handsomely for SFA.

To be fair it shows a bit of respect and professionalism on his part I think his colleagues should have done the same

Spot on BB.

I also think it shows that Stevie Smith isn't daft when it comes to being questioned and prodded by trouble makers in the press & media. He makes some of the other players who left recently look a bit dim and naive by comparison.

I did have some sympathy for Smith as he is a LB and rarely got played there. He did his best at left MF but it's not really his position and you could certainly get players better than him for that role.

And why should he? He has been paid well beyond what his talents merit.

What he has earned is nothing to do with what he is saying though,not like you to try and put a negative spin on things!

Ian Black would do well to reflect that many fans would have 'handled' his exit in a stridently more hands-on manner than the club. The words arse, marble staircase, and booted spring to mind, and not metaphorically either.

What he has earned is nothing to do with what he is saying though,not like you to try and put a negative spin on things!

I just won't be falling over myself to congratulate someone for having the decency not to slag us off. He has no reason to slag us off. I also won't be applauding any of our failures from last season.