A disappointing defeat but is Warburton winning?

Why Frankie? Templeton and McKay have been first picks so far and look to be getting a chance under Warburton, whether they'll take it is another matter of course. If he didn't fancy McKay he could have sent him to NI with the under 20s like he's done with Crawford and Murdoch. I'm not sure about Shiels, I've always felt there was a player in there trying to get out, if he can stay fit I could see him getting a chance, he looked much better under McCall last season.

Here are the midfielders we currently have with Allan possibly arriving also:

Law

Halliday

Holt

Eustace

Templeton

Shiels

Walsh

Thompson

Murdoch

Aird

McKay

Crawford

That gives us at least 12 players for 5 positions and I'm not convinced the manager will want to keep them all. Personally, I think Temps and McKay will have been starting games to try to prove to the manager they deserve to stay at the club. Last night didn't convince me either were good enough with Walsh better than McKay and Miller equally as mediocre as Templeton. I also don't see yesterday's starting XI being the same at 12.30pm on Saturday so one of (or possibly both) of Temps and McKay will drop out.

Once we inevitably sign Eustace, I suspect Halliday will move to the left sided position while Law and Holt (with Allan eventually) will share the other two attacking midfield roles. That leaves Thompson and Murdoch to fight it out for the berth beside Eustace. Now, it may be the manager might want to keep the likes of Temps, Shiels and McKay as back-up but I'm not sure any of these players will fancy that if they can get a move elsewhere.

I could be completely wrong on this but I don't see long term futures for them. They're not good enough but I certainly hope they prove me wrong if they do feature.

First half Frankie. Whole section was talking about it. He literally jumped out the way. It's not his first game it's his first for us. He confirmed what I already thought. See if you say the same in a few weeks. As for distribution you must be having a laugh. How many times did he kick it straight out the park over temps and McKay heads?at least 5 times

He jumped out the way? He made an excellent save at the guy's feet... :D

I agree a few of his long balls were poor and I also made the point some were guilty of being over elaborate both around our box and up front. However, generally, his distribution was fine and I'm prepared to give him more than one or two pre-season friendlies before I label him anything else than an interesting signing with the potential to do well.

Checked transfermarkt for primary and secondary positions and that would yield ... in no particular order:

Law - central midfield plus left or right midfield

Holt - central midfield plus attacking midfield, right midfield

Eustace - defensive midfield plus central midfield

Thompson - (central midfield)

Murdoch - central midfield (attacking / defensive)

... wherein I see Thompson and Murdoch as the future (i.e. no immediate starting XI), Eustace to give us stability alongside Holt (who will be shifted further forward, perhaps); Law can hope to get a right sided berth, but nothing central.

Halliday - left midfield plus left back, attacking midfield

Templeton - left winger plus left midfield, right winger

Walsh - left midfield plus right midfield, left winger

... with Walsh probably an able sub for either wing, Halliday aside from left midfield as back-up for Wallace or more central; Templeton can be used all across the front line, best in a free role

Shiels - attacking midfield plus striker

Crawford - attacking midfield

... probably the most likely to let go, as either looks to be replacable now

Aird - right midfield plus left midfield, attacking midfielder

McKay - right winger plus left winger, attacking midfielder

... Aird might be back-up for Tavernier, Law did well on occasion in that right-midfield slot; McKay has some spark and we'll have to wait and see whether W&W can turn it into fire.

Edited by der Berliner

I've not been excited as a Gers fan since wee Dick came in. The more I hear from Warburton, the more I like him and think he could the best appointment we've made in donkeys. He's progressive, he's positive and speaks very clearly and concisely about the game of football.

For this fan, the manager is not only saying the right things but within one game we can see there a recognizable plan. Gone are the days of football by chance. Welcome to football by design and the 21st Century.

Post script. Is it just our new strip or did Waghorn and Tavernier look like a couple tanks? I wouldn't mess with them in a hurry

Edited by BlackSocksRedTops

I've not been excited as a Gers fan since wee Dick came in. The more I hear from Warburton, the more I like him and think he could the best appointment we've made in donkeys. He's progressive, he's positive and speaks very clearly and concisely about the game of football.

For this fan, the manager is not only saying the right things but within one game we can see there a recognizable plan. Gone are the days of football by chance. Welcome to football by design and the 21st Century.

Post script. Is it just our new strip or did Waghorn and Tavernier look like a couple tanks? I wouldn't mess with them in a hurry

No, they're well built lads. Waghorn actually looks like he's lost a few pounds as at Wigan/Leicester he was really stocky.

I agree a few of his long balls were poor and I also made the point some were guilty of being over elaborate both around our box and up front. However, generally, his distribution was fine and I'm prepared to give him more than one or two pre-season friendlies before I label him anything else than an interesting signing with the potential to do well.

especially since Arfield went in with his studs up.

I thought it was a good save.

if they do highlights watch it again and you will see him hesitate and try to get out the way. It was as clear as day and met with groans from more than a few fans! Not sure how you missed it.

Hope he proves you right but I wouldn't put much faith or money on it.

Baffled by your view here mate.

I thought we looked really strong playing from the back (that all changed when McGregor and Zaliukas came on though)

As for the keeper he was rarely tested.

Try looking at it from the standpoint of someone hoping we fail under king Co and you might understand

if they do highlights watch it again and you will see him hesitate and try to get out the way. It was as clear as day and met with groans from more than a few fans! Not sure how you missed it.

Hope he proves you right but I wouldn't put much faith or money on it.

I've just watched it again and while there is the very slightest of hesitations as the ball came through and the keeper made up his mind whether he could challenge, he dived straight at the Burnley player's feet to deliver an excellent and brave block.

Not sure how anyone can interpret this incident differently and if anyone does I suspect their judgement on Woderingham's overall contribution is also flawed.

http://rangersfc.org/index.php?dn=news&to=art&id=1611

5.43mins in for that incident...

Edited by Frankie

No, they're well built lads. Waghorn actually looks like he's lost a few pounds as at Wigan/Leicester he was really stocky.

The Burnley team were like a team of giants though , we were markedly smaller than them last night , physically