New Academy Appointments

Ajax thought they could go on very young players in the Dutch league last season and in the Champions league this season. They lost the league last season and are dumped out of the Champions league. You can only have a certain amount of youth in the team, you really also need experienced players.

The more action you see Warburton taking the more you realise what a piss poor manager McCoist was.

Not if you swallow the latest attempt by Walter today to excuse Ally and Kenny. It was horrific and old Wattie is in danger or ruining his reputation to defend the charlatan.

All very well but unless this academy(or whatever it's called) can produce players capable of getting into the first team on a regular basis then the whole thing just becomes a financial drain on the club.

I wouldn't get too hung up on youth football as it's often difficult to assess how good a youngster actually is until he moves out of his age group.

And also how do we ensure our greater-funded youth system is better than say the likes of hertz or dundee utd whose will probably have less funding than ours?

In October of last year I watched our 2003's, with a couple of 2004's absolutely wipe the floor with their Dundee Utd counterparts. Scores were 8-0 in one game and on the other pitch it was 11-0. How do we ensure we are more successful ? By not going for big, strong, physical types like Sinclair liked.... And going for a footballing philosophy throughout the club and having players based on technical, tactical ability..... Much like Mulholland and Warburton like.

Btw, our 2003 kids last year played Celtic 4 times in the one day and beat them all 4 times.... Apparently this resulted in "crisis meetings" at Celtic......

In October of last year I watched our 2003's, with a couple of 2004's absolutely wipe the floor with their Dundee Utd counterparts. Scores were 8-0 in one game and on the other pitch it was 11-0. How do we ensure we are more successful ? By not going for big, strong, physical types like Sinclair liked.... And going for a footballing philosophy throughout the club and having players based on technical, tactical ability..... Much like Mulholland and Warburton like.

Btw, our 2003 kids last year played Celtic 4 times in the one day and beat them all 4 times.... Apparently this resulted in "crisis meetings" at Celtic......

Complacency taking over when facing Rangers?

Edited by Bearman

W

They can win games in their own age group as often as they like.

It's whether they're capable of making it into the first team which is what matters.

Having youngsters on the books for seven or eight years then discovering they're not first team standard seems a waste to me

W

It's whether they're capable of making it into the first team which is what matters.

Having youngsters on the books for seven or eight years then discovering they're not first team standard seems a waste to me

We should only keep the 2 that are that good and have them play long shooty for 8 years until they are ready.

We should only keep the 2 that are that good and have them play long shooty for 8 years until they are ready.

That worked for Bobby Charlton. He spent his formative years constantly practicing keeping the ball low from distance and scored dozens of goals like that in his career.

10000 hours of practice to be world class and all that.

That worked for Bobby Charlton. He spent his formative years constantly practicing keeping the ball low from distance and scored dozens of goals like that in his career.

10000 hours of practice to be world class and all that.

At long shooty. Depends what you practice

W

Perhaps you should read the post I was replying to. At no point was I talking about players graduating into the 1st team. I was responding to a post about how to be more successful than the likes of the Dundee Utd or Hearts Academy...

I think we ALL agree that having kids progress to the 1st team should be the ONLY aim of the Youth Academy - it shouldn't be results driven.... yet funnily enough, you yourself lambasted the 20's for losing to Annan.

I met the Man City U13 Academy Director a couple of years ago when he was out in Bermuda - and he made a very insightful statement.... "I can go out and beat the Man Utd U13's tomorrow 5-0 and be out of a job the next day - why ? Because my job isn't to beat my counterparts across the City, it is to produce players who will eventually make the 1st team and save City millions in the process". Every club should have that mantra.