Is Our Defence Good Enough?

The full backs seem to spend most of their time up the pitch which leaves the centre backs exposed. Eustace is presumably supposed to address that but the strategy is, at the moment, to go for it. Halliday or one of the other midfielders could sit and screen the defence a bit but MW seems not to be too bothered at the moment.

Our attacking football it leaves the centre-backs exposed. Barcelona are exposed at the back, when someone can get the ball! At this level, as long as we score more goals than the opposition I'm content. It's about winning the league and getting promotion. That's all that matters.

For the bigger games, we'll need a defensive/holding midfielder; Warburton has already suggested as much with Eustace. We'll need a stabalising force, and an extra man in there to cover. Law, Holt and Halliday seem to interchange, but neither are defensive. We need a Busquets-type player: defensive, with the ability to keep the ball moving with short passing.

We must also remember that centre-back pairings take time to settle.

I think our new formation of 2 - 5 - 3 is inevitably going to leave the two centre backs exposed! At this level, I think that MW is quite content, knowing that we will almost inevitably score more goals than the opposition. Against better opposition, Andy Halliday will sit a bit deeper, or John Eustace will provide that role, (if he gets fit and is signed up.) Right now, Andy is the most defensive of the midfield trio and even he is bombing forward, which is probably in his nature in any event. He has done a really good job to date, but i just wonder if he will be a wee bit exposed if we draw better teams in the cup.

Kiernan and Wilson are both ball playing centre backs and my guess is that MW would accept the odd-mistake, provided they continue to play his style of football. I cannot see him bringing in a whole hearted give everything that you have CB like Darren McGregor, if he is unable to start attacks from the back playing the ball out of defence.

The full backs seem to spend most of their time up the pitch which leaves the centre backs exposed. Eustace is presumably supposed to address that but the strategy is, at the moment, to go for it. Halliday or one of the other midfielders could sit and screen the defence a bit but MW seems not to be too bothered at the moment.

Agree with that, having 2 natural bombing forward full backs is Rangers of old and I like it (Stevens / Robertson / Numan / Munro to name a few) and at this level I think we will get away with it no end.

Its also still early days for the unit to gel, and Weir will mould them in. Id give it 6 games before they get start to look like a unit. Its 3 players who had never played together.

Other point worth remembering is this is a brand new back 4 + goalie (in fact brand new team really). This will take a bit of time to gel.

From what i've seen so far we do look really susceptible to conceding cheap goals at the minute, the defending for the Alloa goal was awful but I suspect over the next few games a lot of these issues will be remedied. But overall I am still far more confident in this back four than I ever was the past few years.