Jason Cummings: Hibs can beat improved Rangers

DAVID HARDIE

07:30Monday 17 August 2015

JASON CUMMINGS has admitted Rangers are a better side than last season – but he is backing Hibs to go to Ibrox on Sunday and win.

The Easter Road outfit won twice in Govan and enjoyed a 4-0 hammering of the Glasgow outfit as they pipped them to second place in the Championship table, only to lose out in the play-offs.

Since then, Rangers have undergone a massive transformation under new boss Mark Warburton and crushed Hibs 6-2 as they met on the opening day of the season in the Petrofac Training Cup, a result which strengthened their claims to be title favourites.

Nevertheless, Cummings, who stepped off the bench on Saturday to score the only goal of the game against Morton just 20 seconds later to give Hibs their first points of the season, insisted he and his team-mates are more than capable of clocking up another victory at Ibrox.

The 20-year-old said: “It will be a good one. We know what Rangers are capable of, but we will go for the win. They are a good passing side, but I think we can get a result.

“They definitely look a different side from last year and that’s fair play to them. They have played better football, brought in better players and are doing very well – we saw that when we played them in the Petrofac Cup, but I think what we have is enough to go to Ibrox and get the result.

“It’s not about revenge, it’s about enjoying the game and getting the right result. I have scored a couple of goals at Ibrox. Most of the boys have good memories from our wins there last season and we are confident. We will go for the win.”

Cummings’ strike against Morton was his third 
already this season, putting him well on the way to emulating the 22 he scored last season to claim the mantle of the Championship’s top scorer, but, he revealed, he was simply fulfilling a promise he had made to his fellow 
substitutes.

He said: “I was sitting on the bench telling the other boys I’d score when I got on and I did it with my first touch after just 20 seconds.

“I think the other guys had just thought ‘that’s typical of him’ when I was saying that, but I went over and told them: “I told you so.”

Cummings found himself dropped to the bench after what he admitted was a disappointing performance as Hibs lost at Dumbarton on the opening day of the season, leaving him with no room for complaint.

He said: “We have a strong team. Last week was not my best performance and with the players we have you know you have to play well every week to keep yourself in the team.

“There is a lot of competition for places and I knew I wasn’t at my best against Dumbarton, I didn’t need anyone to tell me, but when I was sitting on the bench I was determined that if I got the chance I’d make an impact and show everyone why I should be starting.

“In a way it possibly helped me as I was able to have a look at their defenders, at our strikers and decide what I would do when I came on.”

And as for breaking last season’s goals tally? “I’m up and running,” he said, “I just want to score as many goals as I can, but the main target is to get promotion. I’d definitely take promotion before winning the golden boot.”

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/jason-cummings-hibs-can-beat-improved-rangers-1-3860171

Never mind this Scott Allan nonsense, Cummings is a player I rate highly and thought was always dangerous last season when we played Hibs. For my money he was by far Hibs best player, and in winning top league goalscorer he should have also won POTY for the division ahead of Allan. Never have rated these player voting awards so hay-ho.

Our defence will be tested, again, against Cummings on Sunday, and hopefully they show some improvements as the defence has looked shaky at best so far, given how little they actually have to do.

Cummings has to say these things and Hibs have to draw on their easy victories last season. If I were a Hibbee I would be really happy with how they played for 30 mins last month, when they should have been 3-0 up, and have hopes that if they can take their chances they will have a good chance. Obviously from our perspective we know we will be far too strong for them and another high-scoring victory is on the cards. My predictor will probably be something like 5-2 or 4-2. Both teams to score should be about 1/2 for this match.