Scots wha hae wi Wallace bled

Rangers captain Lee Wallace tipped for Scotland recall for Euro 2016 qualifiers

Wallace-600497.jpg

LEE WALLACE has been tipped to win a Scotland recall.

The Rangers captain, has been in outstanding form this season but was not selected by national manager Gordon Strachan for next month’s Euro 2016 qualification double-header against Georgia and Germany.

Wallace, 28, won the last of his eight Scotland caps against the USA in November 2013.

But Ibrox boss Mark Warburton, who yesterday released Darren McGregor by mutual consent, believes it’s only a matter of time before Wallace is called up by his country if he maintains his current form. Warburton said: “From the first minute of pre-season this year Lee has been first-class.

“He works hard and has been made captain for a reason.

“We thought long and hard about it and spoke to him about the responsibility of it and what was involved.

“If he has not been called up he can’t be far away, not that I would tell a national manager what to do.

“He’s got all the ability and he’s getting stronger by the day.

“Look at his level of performances. He’s getting forward and scoring goals, he’s very happy with the role and our formation. We’re enjoying working with him. He’s got the ear of the squad which a captain needs to have. We are lucky to have him.”

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/600497/Rangers-Lee-Wallace-Scotland-recall-Euro-2016-qualifiers

It would be a great boost to all Rangers fans to see one of their own represent their Country in a Major Finals as before. Lee Wallace is certainly worthy of a place at the top table.

Edited by Bearman

Wallace has looked better this season but I've been worried about his defensive contribution in the last two games - particularly in the last 15-20mins where the Ayr and Hibs wingers exploited space in behind him and also left him for dead more than once.

As much as Wallace is a useful attacking option (if we ignore his often appalling final ball) I'm still not convinced by his overall quality as a defender per se.

I'm looking for a lot more from him this year - especially as captain.

Wallace has looked better this season but I've been worried about his defensive contribution in the last two games - particularly in the last 15-20mins where the Ayr and Hibs wingers exploited space in behind him and also left him for dead more than once.

As much as Wallace is a useful attacking option (if we ignore his often appalling final ball) I'm still not convinced by his overall quality as a defender per se.

I'm looking for a lot more from him this year - especially as captain.

The full backs are spending an awful lot of time upfield and it is leaving us exposed at the back. Not sure Wallace is any more guilty of that than Tavernier. Robertson looks similar but better than Wallace but don't see why he can't make the squad in time. But he's got a lot to do after a poor 2014-15 season and it's going to be hard until we're promoted and maybe even until he gets a some Europe games under his belt.

The full backs are spending an awful lot of time upfield and it is leaving us exposed at the back. Not sure Wallace is any more guilty of that than Tavernier. Robertson looks similar but better than Wallace but don't see why he can't make the squad in time. But he's got a lot to do after a poor 2014-15 season and it's going to be hard until we're promoted and maybe even until he gets a some Europe games under his belt.

I actually thought Tavernier sat too deep at times on Sunday. In saying that I also felt he did quite well near the end of the game as Waghorn didn't provide any defensive cover at all on the right so Tavernier was often left 1 on 2.

As much as I'm enjoying the attacking football, there should be nothing wrong with ensuring we're defensively sound when required. I was quite amazed at how blasé we were in that sense with such a slim lead.

Edited by Frankie

Wallace has looked better this season but I've been worried about his defensive contribution in the last two games - particularly in the last 15-20mins where the Ayr and Hibs wingers exploited space in behind him .

He's just doing what he's told to do by the manager.

I actually thought Tavernier sat too deep at times on Sunday. In saying that I also felt he did quite well near the end of the game as Waghorn didn't provide any defensive cover at all on the right so Tavernier was often left 1 on 2.

As much as I'm enjoying the attacking football, there should be nothing wrong with ensuring we're defensively sound when required. I was quite amazed at how blasé we were in that sense with such a slim lead.

The were doubling up on Tavernier rather more effectively than on Wallace on Saturday but, over the season so far, he's been charging forward and leaving huge gaps for the centre backs to cover. I agree with you but it's clearly his strategy. You could see MW waving players forward late on in the game on Saturday.

The were doubling up on Tavernier rather more effectively than on Wallace on Saturday but, over the season so far, he's been charging forward and leaving huge gaps for the centre backs to cover. I agree with you but it's clearly his strategy. You could see MW waving players forward late on in the game on Saturday.

I think Tavernier actually covers across better than Wallace does as I've never been all that convinced by Wallace's defensive abilities.

Like you say, it's our strategy (and a welcome one) but it's very risky on occasion and we won't be as lucky as we were on Sunday. FWIW, I don't think Halliday played all that well either so the addition of someone like Eustace may protect the back four (or rather back two) more effectively.

I completely understand Mark Warburton wanting to praise his players to raise their confidence and moral levels, but I think Lee Wallace is getting over-hyped and over-praised. The Scottish press & media have purposely made a mountain out of a molehill over Lee Wallace and his call-ups (or lack of them). They are simply shit-stirring as they always do. If Wallace was good enough to be getting called up, he'd be getting called up.