Wallace, McKay and Oduwa

5 or 6 years ago the celtc u20 team was all over six foot farmers lads. Our was a great team with bags of skill.

I'm merely passing on what I was told from those directly involved in the Academy. Besides, 5 yrs is a LONG time in football.

never been a fan of McKay but he knows how to put a ball through for Wallace to run on to. We've had lots of joy down that wing with a rejuvenated Wallace.

Oduwa looks a player who can run through defences but he needs to see the pass inside the back when Wallace is bombing in from the wing.

He expended a lot of energy against Airdrie running up that wing.

Until we develop that side of the boys game it'll be McKay to start for me.

McKay should absolutely be the priority because in one year's time the effort and money spent on Oduwa won't be worth anything, it will on McKay. It still really frustrates me that McKay doesn't have three years of regular first team action under his belt now, who knows what level he would be at now? All this time we have been watching Smith, Aird etc playing on the flanks who are pretty much incapable of actually beating anyone and putting in decent crosses while McKay has just been wasted :hm:.

Much of this is because the Academies of both clubs have had a different perspective on development. Celtic have brought kids in and told them to "express themselves" and be selfish (to an extent) whilst we have had a philosophy of building and playing as a team.

Apart from PLG, I'm not sure if we have had anyone at the club interested in playing football since Advocaat left and Warburton joined. Perhaps Craig Mulholland is the exception, as he seems to have some pretty progressive, modern ideas from the limited knowledge I have of him.

Have to say, I've always been a fan of Mc'Kay.

He's the sort of player Celtic have been producing for years but we never have.....a guy that will just run at people with a fair bit of skill and cocky attitude.

Really? I can think of Aiden McGeady who broke through in 2004 and at a push Maloney who made his debut 14 years ago so it's not exactly a prolific production line of dribbling midgets they're running over there. Who am I missing?

McKay should absolutely be the priority because in one year's time the effort and money spent on Oduwa won't be worth anything, it will on McKay. It still really frustrates me that McKay doesn't have three years of regular first team action under his belt now, who knows what level he would be at now? All this time we have been watching Smith, Aird etc playing on the flanks who are pretty much incapable of actually beating anyone and putting in decent crosses while McKay has just been wasted :hm:.

Whilst I take your point McKay has been playing first team football for the last couple of years, just not for us. He was at Morton who were a division higher than us at the time and the Raith Rovers who were in the same league as us. Ironically being away on loan might have been the best thing for him although I doubt very much that was a deliberate strategy.

Really? I can think of Aiden McGeady who broke through in 2004 and at a push Maloney who made his debut 14 years ago so it's not exactly a prolific production line of dribbling midgets they're running over there. Who am I missing?

James Forrest, maybe?

Much of this is because the Academies of both clubs have had a different perspective on development. Celtic have brought kids in and told them to "express themselves" and be selfish (to an extent) whilst we have had a philosophy of building and playing as a team.

Interesting observation, Craig.

I recently attended a Coaching seminar for kids football where Celtic Academy Director, Willie McNab was there. During a Q&A session at the end, one of the attendees asked Mr McNab if as Coaches, we should be building teams or individuals and the answer was that we are to build the player. "No point in having a good team at development age" was the answer.

I think McKay is really relishing MW's style of play - he has looked a completely different player.

Oduwa, I like the look of as well....however, I think he needs to "calm down" a wee bit - he appears a bit too eager to be amazing/impressive every chance he gets. I do think the more game time he gets, he will be "calmer" & more comfortable as to when to turn on the style & when to keep it simple. The fact that he appears to have the ability to do both is a massive positive.

James Forrest, maybe?

Aye maybe, he's hardly a first pick though, is he? Can't say I watch many of their games (although I surprisingly found myself glued to the radio on Tuesday night...) but I get the impression Forrest's career has stalled and it would be no surprise if he's playing for Barnsely or Dundee Utd this time next year.

It might be I just simply struggle to give them credit for anything.

Interesting observation, Craig.

I recently attended a Coaching seminar for kids football where Celtic Academy Director, Willie McNab was there. During a Q&A session at the end, one of the attendees asked Mr McNab if as Coaches, we should be building teams or individuals and the answer was that we are to build the player. "No point in having a good team at development age" was the answer.

Spoke to four staff in the youth set up this week and they are absolutely bouncing off the walls with enthusiasm and excitement. The support from the top, the belief in the system and the desire to create not just good players but good people was inspiring. I think we're in great hands and the future looks - as much as you can ever say, anyway - bright.