Ronald de Boer: NO-ONE is interested in Celtic...

... without the Old Firm rivalry in Scotland's top flight.

FORMER Rangers midfielder tells how the Dutch have no interest in Scottish football anymore as they deem the Premiership a one-horse race.

RONALD DE BOER claims Dutch fans don’t care about Celtic any more because Scotland’s top flight is a one-horse race without Rangers.

The Ibrox legend lit the blue touch paper as Ronny Deila’s men prepare to fly out of Glasgow this morning to face Ajax, another of his old sides, in the Europa League tomorrow.

De Boer spent four years with Gers after joining them in a £4.5million move from Barcelona and helped them win the last of their seven domestic trebles in 2003.

He relished the Light Blues’ intense rivalry with their Parkhead opponents and people in his homeland lapped up Old Firm clashes as scores of Holland stars played in them.

But the 45-year-old, an ambassador for Ajax, insists they’ve lost interest and Celtic have become an irrelevance due to their lack of competition.

De Boer said: “In Holland, they don’t show highlights of the Celtic games any more and why? It’s because Rangers aren’t there.

“People here don’t only talk about Rangers coming back, they talk about the Old Firm. They talk about both teams together and that’s what they’re interested in.

“People here are not interested in Celtic because they already know the end result and that is not good for the Scottish league.”

De Boer also thinks Celtic have become weaker after selling star man Virgil van Dijk to Southampton – even though they’ve replaced him with £5.5m Jozo Simunovic.

He said: “Van Dijk was one of the first men down on the team sheet so losing him makes Celtic a bit weaker. But Virgil leaving presents the chance for somebody else to step up and show their skills. Sometimes when a guy gets the chance to play regularly he can take a big step forward.”

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ronald-de-boer-no-one-6450781

... without the Old Firm rivalry in Scotland's top flight.

FORMER Rangers midfielder tells how the Dutch have no interest in Scottish football anymore as they deem the Premiership a one-horse race.

RONALD DE BOER claims Dutch fans don’t care about Celtic any more because Scotland’s top flight is a one-horse race without Rangers.

The Ibrox legend lit the blue touch paper as Ronny Deila’s men prepare to fly out of Glasgow this morning to face Ajax, another of his old sides, in the Europa League tomorrow.

De Boer spent four years with Gers after joining them in a £4.5million move from Barcelona and helped them win the last of their seven domestic trebles in 2003.

He relished the Light Blues’ intense rivalry with their Parkhead opponents and people in his homeland lapped up Old Firm clashes as scores of Holland stars played in them.

But the 45-year-old, an ambassador for Ajax, insists they’ve lost interest and Celtic have become an irrelevance due to their lack of competition.

De Boer said: “In Holland, they don’t show highlights of the Celtic games any more and why? It’s because Rangers aren’t there.

“People here don’t only talk about Rangers coming back, they talk about the Old Firm. They talk about both teams together and that’s what they’re interested in.

“People here are not interested in Celtic because they already know the end result and that is not good for the Scottish league.”

De Boer also thinks Celtic have become weaker after selling star man Virgil van Dijk to Southampton – even though they’ve replaced him with £5.5m Jozo Simunovic.

He said: “Van Dijk was one of the first men down on the team sheet so losing him makes Celtic a bit weaker. But Virgil leaving presents the chance for somebody else to step up and show their skills. Sometimes when a guy gets the chance to play regularly he can take a big step forward.”

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ronald-de-boer-no-one-6450781

I would go even further than that. More people in Holland have followed Rangers journey than know the scores in the SPFL. I would imagine getting back into the SPFL will be a great chance to pull a fantastic massive publicity stunt. It will be world news so we really should be planning to milk it.

I would go even further than that. More people in Holland have followed Rangers journey than know the scores in the SPFL. I would imagine getting back into the SPFL will be a great chance to pull a fantastic massive publicity stunt. It will be world news so we really should be planning to milk it.

Absolutely pete, the greatest football story ever told is being written on our journey back. They tried kill us off, they tried to steal our titles, they said we cheated. They forensically investigated the club and it's accounts beyond appropriate, The crooks then tried to bleed us dry, any other football club in the world would have succumbed to the sling and arrows of outrageous fortune , but not the famous Glasgow Rangers. I want the world to know our story, hopefully someone is preparing the book, the documentary and the film.

I would imagine getting back into the SPFL

As an aside, with no disrespect to you and at the risk of seem pedantic (although that can sometimes be helpful with clarity), aren't we already in the SPFL? I realise they've buggered up what we call our league and made it pretty difficult with the similarity to the silly English terminology, but I think we might need a more consistent use of acronyms.

For me I believe it should be SP (Scottish Premiership), SC (Scottish Championship) SL1 (Scottish League One) and SL2 (Scottish League Two). It also gives you two less letters to type...

And for England (with the odd Welsh club - and we have an English club in ours), EP, EC, EL1 and EL2. Even though they don't like to call it English as they see themselves as the original.

Anyway, not really important, but possibly helpful. :)

I think an ex-ger coming out with this will really rile them up for their match. They'll already be gnashing about last night's result.

I am sitting on a wharf, waiting to board a ferry to Martha's Vineyard, and folks are casting glances as I continue to chuckle over today's Sellik news.

An official club communication to an entire section of the Main Stand at ra Stydome, reminding them of necessary ablutions. Apparently, body odour is impacting on the match day experience. It confirms what we all know, they are mhanky barstewards.

Then there's a twitter storm at Abergreen receiving another penalty last evening; apparently, the refs and the SFA are determined to stop five in a row!

Further, some are awakening to the possibility that Ronnie might be a dud.

I am sure my fellow Gersnetters share my concern for the safety and welfare of those "heavy handed Dutch police" tomorrow evening?

As an aside, with no disrespect to you and at the risk of seem pedantic (although that can sometimes be helpful with clarity), aren't we already in the SPFL? I realise they've buggered up what we call our league and made it pretty difficult with the similarity to the silly English terminology, but I think we might need a more consistent use of acronyms.

For me I believe it should be SP (Scottish Premiership), SC (Scottish Championship) SL1 (Scottish League One) and SL2 (Scottish League Two). It also gives you two less letters to type...

And for England (with the odd Welsh club - and we have an English club in ours), EP, EC, EL1 and EL2. Even though they don't like to call it English as they see themselves as the original.

Anyway, not really important, but possibly helpful. :)

That is for sure - I have no idea what to type these days when talking about Scottish leagues :D

Absolutely pete, the greatest football story ever told is being written on our journey back. They tried kill us off, they tried to steal our titles, they said we cheated. They forensically investigated the club and it's accounts beyond appropriate, The crooks then tried to bleed us dry, any other football club in the world would have succumbed to the sling and arrows of outrageous fortune , but not the famous Glasgow Rangers. I want the world to know our story, hopefully someone is preparing the book, the documentary and the film.

I am sure Mark Daly and Chris McLaughlin will be pulling each others hair out to make a BBC production of this positive Rangers event.