Split Centre-Backs And The Need For A Pivot

Dykes and Thompson could be good options long-term. I'd certainly like to see them get some game time. It would allow Halliday to play further forward also.

Indeed, but I would add Murdoch to that list. At the end of the day, Halliday is doing a fine job just now and probably grows in to the role with every game. Eustace would probably give us a a better defensive edge.

I'd assume that after Burnley, tonight will give us a better view about our defensive capabilities, as we will play against a team that will probably play more open football than most we faced up to this season.

Age and all-round ability is irrelevant IMO. A player doesn't have to be a well-rounded, complete player to do a job well. I think if someone has the ability to play a role well, without being a complete player, then they should get a shot. Take Aird: far, far from a well-rounded, complete player, but Warburton has identified skills in him that suits the full-back role.

But he has had about 15 minutes playing that position.....

Indeed, but I would add Murdoch to that list. At the end of the day, Halliday is doing a fine job just now and probably grows in to the role with every game. Eustace would probably give us a a better defensive edge.

I'd assume that after Burnley, tonight will give us a better view about our defensive capabilities, as we will play against a team that will probably play more open football than most we faced up to this season.

Murdoch doesn't impress me that much. Decent player but not that great. Needs to do more for me. Still a young lad and can grow and develop but the jury is out for me on Murdoch.

Murdoch doesn't impress me that much. Decent player but not that great. Needs to do more for me. Still a young lad and can grow and develop but the jury is out for me on Murdoch.

Agree on all accounts plus his pace really worries me. I thought he was very slow in the games that I watched. He looked like he was running backwards against some of the players he was playing against. If I am right then we should send him to a sprint trainer for some coaching. I know from experience that you can work on your sprint technique and it will make a massive difference in terms of speed.

I think Murdoch's biggest problem was his lack of pace so he struggled to do the kind of covering you need in such a role. I think he'd do all right in our current system but would perhaps be better further forward.

A season where he's expected to be a team's creative focal point isn't a bad thing IMO.

I think Murdoch's biggest problem was his lack of pace so he struggled to do the kind of covering you need in such a role. I think he'd do all right in our current system but would perhaps be better further forward.

A season where he's expected to be a team's creative focal point isn't a bad thing IMO.

If playing further forward then I would prefer Walsh to Murdoch - and that may end up being Murdoch's downfall - being 2nd best in any position.

If playing further forward then I would prefer Walsh to Murdoch - and that may end up being Murdoch's downfall - being 2nd best in any position.

Agreed. To be honest, I'm surprised Walsh hasn't played a bit more often this season but I guess the good form of others and his slight injury may have hampered his progress so far.

I think Walsh links quite well with Wallace so I wouldn't mind him featuring over the coming weeks.