Former Rangers player Stephen Hughes ploughed his van into pedestrian railing.

Former Rangers player Stephen Hughes ploughed his van into pedestrian railing while five times over the drink-drive limit

09:08, 4 Oct 2015

Updated 09:24, 4 Oct 2015

By Norman Silvester

SCOTLAND international Stephen Hughes, 32, admits drink driving after smashing his van into railings.

Ex-Rangers player Stephen Hughes

FORMER Rangers player Stephen Hughes ploughed his van into a pedestrian railing while five times over the

drink-drive limit.

The Scotland international, who played more than 60 times for the Ibrox side, appeared in Hamilton Sheriff Court to admit charges of drink driving and careless driving near his home.

Hughes, 32, who also played for English Premier League clubs Leicester City and Norwich City, gave his address as a tower block in Motherwell.

He was banned from driving for 15 months and told to pay a £700 fine.

The midfielder lost control of his van, which mounted the kerb and hit a metal railing.

He was found to have an alcohol reading of 121 microgrammes.

Hughes – despite his years of high earnings from football – was allowed to pay the fine at £10 a fortnight.

An allegation that he failed to co-operate with a breath test was dropped.

Hughes, who made more than 300 senior appearances in a successful football career, is without a club since a trial with Ladbrokes League 2 side Clyde ended without a permanent deal.

Hughes, right, with fellow Gers stars Claudio Caniggia and Fernando Ricksen, left, in 2001

A source said: “Stephen has disappeared from the scene and his football career seems to be over a bit early.

“It’s a shame. He was rated as one of the most promising footballers of his generation and at 32 he could easily still be playing football at a senior level.”

Hughes declined to comment when approached by the Sunday Mail.

His court appearance last month is the former star’s latest brush with the law involving drink-related offences.

Hughes was fined £250 in January last year at the same court after he admitted struggling with police

during a boozy night out.

He had been drinking with friends in Motherwell in March 2013 when trouble erupted and the police

were called. Hughes was arrested and charged with attacking PC Jordan Henderson in the town’s Muir Street.

At his court appearance 10 months later, he admitted repeatedly shouting, swearing, uttering threats and struggling with police.

But his not guilty plea to assaulting Constable Henderson was accepted.

Hughes was fined £200 in April 2005 at Hamilton Sheriff Court for swearing at cops and grappling with

them during a night out with pals.

The officers had spotted him urinating behind a pub in Motherwell in the early hours of the morning.

In November 2004, Hughes appeared at the same court and was fined £450 after admitting driving his mum’s car without insurance.

Five months earlier, six people were arrested after Hughes was allegedly beaten up in a street brawl outside a pub in Wishaw.

It is understood Hughes has not played first-team football since May 2014.

His career also took him to Motherwell, MK Dons, Aberdeen, St Johnstone, Dundee and East Fife.

He made his only appearance for Scotland against Japan in 2009.

I am putting this in here not because I think it deserves to be in the Rangers chat but because the Daily Rhecord have placed under the heading of Rangers FC. The fact he played more games for Motherwell and Leicester City does not seem to matter. Using the Rangers name makes it a bigger story. After all how many extra papers would they sell if rangers were not mentioned. May I say to the Daily record this is not Rangers FC news this is a story about an idiot that stepped behind the wheel of a car with a drink up. Please keep this shit away from Rangers FC news as the 2 are not connected.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/former-rangers-player-stephen-hughes-6569597

Edited by pete

And you decided to put in into Rangers Chat because the media in this country are against Rangers?

Your posts are getting weirder and weirder and I'm getting worried about you:touche:

Yes because it is on here Rangers Chat but in the Record it has totally nothing to do with Rangers FC. The Record have headings for Rangers FC and the other side. I just do not see why this should be under the heading of Rangers FC.

Why do people get their knickers in such a twist about where people post new threads? If it's in the wrong room then admin will move it. Hardly a big deal.

As for the topic, Hughes was never a professional footballer but it's sad to see someone ruin the career they had or waste the money they earned. He seems to have gone off the rails recently.

Yes because it is on here Rangers Chat but in the Record it has totally nothing to do with Rangers FC. The Record have headings for Rangers FC and the other side. I just do not see why this should be under the heading of Rangers FC.

I think Bearman has a point, Pete.

It does seem a tad illogical to put the thread in the area for "all things Rangers" if your argument is that "it has totally nothing to do with Rangers FC". Perhaps "Footie Chat" would be a better home for it?

As to the OP, sad to see yet another ruined career; he showed a lot of promise early on, despite being a bit of a lightweight, and I seem to recall him performing creditably well in some European games.

Edited by BrahimHemdani

Why do people get their knickers in such a twist about where people post new threads? If it's in the wrong room then admin will move it. Hardly a big deal.

As for the topic, Hughes was never a professional footballer but it's sad to see someone ruin the career they had or waste the money they earned. He seems to have gone off the rails recently.

There was a thread on here the other week about Hughes and I think I was the only one who said he was never good enough. glad someone else thought this also.

I think Bearman has a point, Pete.

It does seem a tad illogical to put the thread in the area for "all things Rangers" if your argument is that "it has totally nothing to do with Rangers FC". Perhaps "Footie Chat" would be a better home for it?

As to the OP, sad to see yet another ruined career; he showed a lot of promise early on, despite being a bit of a lightweight, and I seem to recall him performing creditably well in some European games.

You are missing my point I think. Either that or I am. I don't give a shit about Stephen Hughes. What I do care about is the Daily record using this article to blacken the name of our football club. why is the story not ex-Motherwell player? He played more games for Motherwell than he did for us. They have headed this article under the heading of Rangers FC. Why? This is not Rangers FC news so why are they heading it as such? I will tell you why. Putting it under a Motherwell FC heading will not sell 1 paper more but dragging Rangers FC's name through the mud, will probably. Personally I don't care what forum this is in but it is the name of Rangers they are trying to blacken so it is Rangers chat to me. I find the point more Important than what forum it is in to be honest and I am pretty surprised there has been a bigger uproar to what forum this should be in as to the point I am making. End of rant but I am pissed off with this.

A woman in her 40s who was a wife and mother was killed instantly by a drunk driver in a hit and run just last week here in the same area of Motherwell that Stephen Hughes stays, so I'd say he's pretty lucky to get off with a 15 month ban and £700 fine for drunk and reckless/dangerous driving.

I hope this was a wake-up call for him because he's a good guy.

30% of all accidents are caused by drunk drivers. That means 70% are caused by sober drivers. Everybody should just get drunk before getting behind the wheel.:D

That is statistics for you.:)