Rangers boss Mark Warburton tips Barrie McKay...

...to play 'at the highest level' after impressing at Ibrox.

MARK WARBURTON reckons Rangers winger Barrie McKay has the potential to play ‘at the highest level’ as he looks to continue his impressive start to the season.

The 20-year-old has made the most of the arrival of Warburton and David Weir in the summer and quickly become a key player for the Light Blues this term.

After bursting onto the scene in the Third Division, loan spells with Morton and Raith Rovers in recent seasons have given McKay the platform to make a bid for a first team berth at Ibrox.

And Warburton is confident there is plenty more to come from the wide man, who has scored three times in his 15 appearances for the Gers so far this season.

He said: “With younger players, the key is consistency. It’s easy when you’re young to have four or five games at a high level then have a drop off, and sometimes a big drop-off.

“Barrie’s started most games this season but he had one small drop-off and we had a chat to him and his reaction was great.

“So consistency is important and quality of end-product is the other one. He’s got the technique, he’s got the awareness, he sees a pass, but he got to the bye-line many times at the weekend and it’s just that quality of final cross, final pass, final shot.

“The better that is, the better we’re going to be as a team and the better he’ll be as an individual.

“He’s been out on loan, he’s done the hard bit, I’m sure he’s suffered in the media in terms of people saying he’s peaked too early, but he’s a real talent and I’ve no doubt he could go and play at the highest level.”

The resurgence of McKay has been one of the most positive aspects of the campaign for Warburton as his side have made a superb start to the season and put themselves in pole position for the Championship title.

The forward has thrived under the new managerial team at Ibrox and Warburton is delighted to see his young star fulfilling the promise he was confident he always had.

He said: “When you go to a new club it’s a blank canvas. You can’t have any pre-conceived ideas.

“Barrie McKay I didn’t know much about, but from the first day at training he caught the eye. Technically outstanding, the quickest thing at the club, he’s 20 years old, he can play left or right, in midfield he can play eight or ten. What’s not to like?

“At the weekend for the first 20 minutes he was excellent and they were doubling up on him.

“Barrie McKay has the potential to be a real talent at this football club. He’ll get better and better.”

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/13879799.Rangers_boss_Mark_Warburton_tips_Barrie_McKay_to_play__at_the_highest_level__after_impressing_at_Ibrox/

McKay starts a game brilliant linking well with Lee but in the latter part of the game he tires very easy and doesn't track back he needs to install that into his game only then can we talk about him playing at a higher level..only my opinion

McKay starts a game brilliant linking well with Lee but in the latter part of the game he tires very easy and doesn't track back he needs to install that into his game only then can we talk about him playing at a higher level..only my opinion

I saw him winning the ball back about 30 yards from our own goal in the final 15-20 minutes chasing the game on Saturday. It was also near the centre of the park I'm sure.

For me he's improving all the time but his overall consistency is of a high level for a creative player.

An absolute fantastic start to the season for Barrie.

And what pains me most, and there may have been issues with attitude or Ally didn't like him, I don't know. But what gets me is just how badly we lacked creativity last season and Barrie was at Raith/Morton wherever. Sad. Infact an error from our management team more like.

For me, he's been the most impressive player this season so far.

I love his style of play, I think his link up play with Wallace has been brilliant and as Warbs says, he's got a lot to offer as a winger or as an 8 or 10.

Usual groans on Saturday as he pulled out of a tackle with a RB who would've gladly crunched Barrie for a yellow but I'd rather see my ball players steering clear of injuries rather than crocking themselves to keep the less cultured supporters onside.

Well done, Barrie. Please keep it up!! :)

I saw him winning the ball back about 30 yards from our own goal in the final 15-20 minutes chasing the game on Saturday. It was also near the centre of the park I'm sure.

For me he's improving all the time but his overall consistency is of a high level for a creative player.

An absolute fantastic start to the season for Barrie.

And what pains me most, and there may have been issues with attitude or Ally didn't like him, I don't know. But what gets me is just how badly we lacked creativity last season and Barrie was at Raith/Morton wherever. Sad. Infact an error from our management team more like.

It was a bit of both - but I have it on good authority that much of the reason he is doing as well as he is this year is because his attitude has improved significantly.

He's done the business this season but I reckon he went out on loan because he just didn't cut the mustard before. Wasn't good enough...simple...don't blame McCoist at all for that

He's clearly always been good enough, does that not form 'part' of a manager's job though, extracting that talent from someone by any means necessary?

For me I'd blame both. All Barry could have been waiting on was a vote of confidence, it could have been something so simple. As I know they never fell out.

He's done the business this season but I reckon he went out on loan because he just didn't cut the mustard before. Wasn't good enough...simple...don't blame McCoist at all for that

Not sure about the mustard. In League Two, our first year post admin, he played in 31 games for us, scoring once and assisting 12 goals. At the age of 17/18. You actually have to wonder what sort of impact he might have had last season, given the dearth of quality play we endured with all the veterans.

At the end of the day, it probably needed coaches like Warburton and Weir to get him back on track, on and off the field. We really have a player here, and to think that he's just 20 tops it even more.

He's clearly always been good enough, does that not form 'part' of a manager's job though, extracting that talent from someone by any means necessary?

Unless you have a definitive answer then it's a bit of an open ended question. Could the right answer not be to to drop the player and then send them out on loan...? Seems to have worked.

For me I'd blame both.

Seems to me you'd have to blame every manager in history for any player that had a bad attitude or didn't play to potential.

All Barry could have been waiting on was a vote of confidence, it could have been something so simple. As I know they never fell out.

Giving him about 46 games at age 17/18 wasn't a vote of confidence? As I said without knowing the definitive answer, it could be something so simple as putting him out on loan. It seems as likely an answer as any, unless of course you want to play the "Blame Ally for anything and everything" game...

Edited by calscot