Dumbarton game cancelled

RANGERS Championship fixture with Dumbarton has been moved due to international call-ups.

The game will switch from Saturday 14 November to Tuesday 1 December to accommodate the international break.

It will mean the match is now sandwiched between the Petrofac Cup Semi-Final against St Mirren and the Saturday 5 December clash with Raith Rovers.

Ticketing information for the fixture will follow.

http://rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/dumbarton-game-moved/

Yay, another home game moved to midweek, another few thousand Bears not able to go and/or watch their heroes. Fully understandable, but still ...

The only "consoling" thing here is that I still remember the years when I wasn't able even to listen to the games, or even BBC 2/5 and their short snippets from Scotland.

BTW, I'll be working on Sunday too, so its doubly disappointing, as November 14th was one of the days next month where watching was a possibility.

Edited by der Berliner

Not just the moving the problem but playing midweek at this time of year in the" sandwiched game" does no good towards players recovery time.

As Warbs says winning a cup is a bonus fixture chaos may count against us as the Saints gave us a scare in the league.

That's a right pain in the arse.

And it's utter nonsense as well.

"As it stands the Gers have had Ryan Hardie, Fraser Aird, Nathan Oduwa and Jordan Thompson called up for duty that week." How many of them would be start v Dumbarton, answer one at most, quite probably none. A reason to postpone an under-20's game perhaps but a first team fixture, no way.

The last time we did it none of the players concerned started the next match v QoS and only Oduwa stared against Livingston.

No idea why we we want to do this other than giving the players a weekend off at the expense of the fans.

Poor show.

Edited by BrahimHemdani

The best (and only) excuse I can think of for calling this off is due to the style of play with a high energy, high tempo, high pressing game with a small squad, that to get a full two weeks between matches serves as a sort of mini-break for the players to recharge the batteries.

I must admit I didnt see much difference in the first game after the last break, and having to play a midweek game in between two weekend games gives you the exact opposite problem to deal with which can be detrimental.

I criticised the decisions Ally made over the last 3 years in similar situations, and I again criticise the management for taking the easy option of cancelling games. The supporters are not taken seriously into consideration when making these decisions, and we should be. Bigger attendances at a weekend game, better service for ST holders to play a game on a Saturday at 3pm, midweek winter matches are usually terrible affairs to watch. All of these situations should be given far greater weight than they currently do.

If Warburton believes that not having Hardie, Aird or Oduwa on his bench is going to make a potentially match-winning difference to his preparation then I really question his thinking.