Mike Ashley steps up battle with Rangers...

...by becoming a director of their retail division.

THE Sports Direct supremo now has a majority influence on the board of Rangers Retail Limited, who control the club’s crest and merchandising rights.

MIKE Ashley has stepped up his battle with Rangers by becoming a director of their retail division.

The Sports Direct supremo now has a majority influence on the board of Rangers Retail Limited, who control the club’s crest and merchandising rights.

Ashley’s move comes amid increasing tensions with club chief Dave King. Ashley wants King to be jailed over alleged breaches of a gagging order relating to

contracts with Sports Direct.

The pair could now do battle across the boardroom table as King is also a director of the retail arm.

Ashley’s appointment was confirmed in documents posted to Companies House yesterday. Records show the billionaire will have two allies on the board – fellow director David Forsey and secretary Cameron Olsen, who are both linked to his Sports Direct empire.

King only has one partner on the board – Rangers FC board member Paul Murray. That suggests boardroom decisions over the merchandising operation will go in favour of Ashley.

Last night, fans’ group Sons of Struth said they were concerned at the lack of power Rangers have over their merchandising wing.

Founder Craig Houston said: “Mike Ashley’s appointment to the board is an act of showmanship.”

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/mike-ashley-steps-up-battle-6779266

Sensibly being the operative word Frankie...

Absolutely. By and large all protests in recent years have been strong but well organised. The odd exception here and there but civil disobedience may been seen by some as acceptable I guess. As long as all those in the area are safe then it's all good...

I'm not up for the game this weekend, so unfortunately I'll miss the boycott protest. I hope the SOS from a human barrier by linking arms, round the entrance to the Megastore, fellow Bears will understand the need not to buy merchandise tomorrow and continuously till Ashley is gone.

I don't think barring people from entering is morally correct. I also don't think it should be necessary. Attempting to explain the situation to those who want to enter should be the course of action.

There's no point in falling out with other fans over it. Some people won't know the ins and outs and some folk, rightly or wrongly, won't care.

We just make our point - hopefully in decent numbers.

I don't think barring people from entering is morally correct. I also don't think it should be necessary. Attempting to explain the situation to those who want to enter should be the course of action.

It can be a passive barrier, explain why we're doing the protest, then allow anyone who wishes to then go in. to go in.