Gough: When will the Rangers witch hunt end?

CELTIC won the former Scottish Premier League in season 1997/98.

It was a historic triumph given that it stopped Rangers winning a record ten-in-a-row.

Looking back, it was one of my biggest career disappointments.

I’d love to have that tenth league medal in my possession, having made history as Rangers captain.

But here’s a scenario for you. Can you imagine if it emerged in later years that Henrik Larsson had an EBT during that season?

If it turned out the Swede — Celtic’s key player in that title triumph — was paid via a scheme that’s now infamous in Scottish football.

Following the logic of the real-life never-ending EBT row, I’d be due a league winner’s medal.

For me and all the rest of my Rangers team-mates, ten-in-a-row would suddenly be a reality.

You’d think I’d be delighted to see my name written into the history books, right?

Wrong. I would have no interest in that medal. I would have no interest in seeing Celtic stripped of that historic title.

That is the honest truth. It would mean nothing to me.

It wouldn’t matter if Wim Jansen’s entire Celtic squad had EBTs, they won it fair and square on the pitch.

And that’s the reason I can’t get my head around the continued clamour to rip titles away from Rangers.

I can’t speak for directors of Celtic and other SPL clubs between the years of 2001 and 2010.

I don’t know what is being said behind closed doors or what went on at the SPFL conference call after HMRC recently won their Big Tax Case appeal.

Celtic fans are up in arms but that’s Scotland for you. I’m sure if Larsson did have an EBT, a lot of Rangers supporters would have strong views.

But as a football man, I value and respect the opinion of my peers.

It’s been fascinating reading the comments of Celtic legends like Martin O’Neill, John Hartson, Chris Sutton and Paul Lambert this week.

To a man they have zero interest in the idea of Rangers being stripped of titles. They look back at 2003 and 2005 and believe they were beaten on he pitch — not in contract talks.

The fact Celtic couldn’t beat Motherwell at Fir Park in O’Neill’s last league game had nothing to do with Rangers players’ having EBTs.

In fact, barring Darren O’Dea, who played a handful of games for Celtic, no other ex-player has called for Gers to be stripped of titles.

Surely that speaks volumes. Are all the Celtic fans going to turn on them for holding that view?

Do they just ignore O’Neill — one of their greatest managers — and dismiss what he says?

What’s to be gained from dredging all this up again? Why are people so hell-bent on attacking Rangers?

I’ve been involved with Scottish football since the early 1980s and never seen hatred like this before.

Are supporters of other clubs not content with the punishment Rangers have already had?

Last time I looked, my old club had been out of the top flight for almost four years. They haven’t competed in Europe since 2012.

There has been an administration and liquidation of the oldco, with a squad full of international players walking away for nothing.

There have been fines, a transfer embargo and all manner of on-field humiliations.

Rangers are now on their fourth manager in that period and still have a long way to go before challenging Celtic again.

Off the field, the heart and soul has been ripped out of the club as ****s lined up to take advantage.

Oh, and an impending court case might end up proving that the club was the victim of a major fraud during a takeover.

That’s quite a list of punishments. The club has been dragged through the gutter over the last few years.

But still fans of other clubs aren’t happy. Still they want to point to a tax scheme that gave fortunes to the likes of Tero Penttila and demand titles are stripped.

Really? Do they hate Rangers that much? Will they ever tire of trying to harm the club?

I look at Hearts and sympathy that directed towards them after Vladimir Romanov disappeared and they went into administration.

Rangers’ treatment was the opposite. If anything, the abuse increased following the Craig Whyte and Charles Green years.

It’s no wonder some fans think Rangers would be better off packing up and going elsewhere.

I’m proud of the club’s Scottish roots and the day will come when they’re the best in the country again.

But when you see the hatred directed towards Rangers, right now the thought of a return to the top flight holds little appeal.

‘No one likes us’ the fans sing. That line has never been more apt.

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/6743621/Gough-When-will-the-Rangers-witch-hunt-end.html

I was actually watching the real shame game from 1999 when we beat them 0-3 at their own midden,again!,which ended the chances of ever having another title decider again because of their scummy fans that day,and they were all chanting cheat!cheat!cheat! towards Dallas,same old C****c always cheated never defeated.

The answer to your question Richard is never!

Edited by ian1964

I was actually watching the real shame game from 1999 when we beat them 0-3 at their own midden,again!,which ended the chances of ever having another title decider again because of their scummy fans that day,and they were all chanting cheat!cheat!cheat! towards Dallas,same old C****c always cheated never defeated.

The answer to your question Richard is never!

Just like, when will the jungles get a home game on remembrance weekend?....Never...