Kenny Miller signs a one year extension

The guy has the experience to be used to come on as a late sub and no more. If our manager thinks we have the money to pay him a wage for that rather than using the money to pay somebody with prospects then who am I to argue with him ? Whatever pot of money Warburton has to spend next season has just been reduced. I hope he's got it right with this one.

He was effective in that role in the first two games of the season and it's difficult if not impossible to understand why he received an upgrade. He scored 5 goals by 16 August and none in the last 3 months. He has 3 assists in 9 league games since early August, during which I make it that he has averaged 51 mins but commonly plays less than half an hour.

Nice work if you can get it as TB suggests.

We need a quality striker for next season, not one who with all due respect to his fine career, is well past his sell by.

Have you watched any Rangers matches, this season, that he has played in?

Have you watched any matches that he's played in? Don't insult me. If you read other threads on here you would have read what I said about Miller. Miller has played in six league games and has been on the winning side six times. It's obvious your doubting the magic hat for playing him and giving him a year extension. Miller has been injured and still gets slaughtered. Next time if you go to a game or watch it on the telly watch the work Miller does off the ball...

Have you watched any matches that he's played in? Don't insult me. If you read other threads on here you would have read what I said about Miller. Miller has played in six league games and has been on the winning side six times. It's obvious your doubting the magic hat for playing him and giving him a year extension. Miller has been injured and still gets slaughtered. Next time if you go to a game or watch it on the telly watch the work Miller does off the ball...

Miller does do a lot of work off the ball and also directs the traffic; I have often felt that he would do well as a deep lying centre forward. However, that is not his role in this team, where he is being played as one of a front three and we have others in CMF.

A striker needs three basic qualities IMO. Awareness/positional sense, tick that box. Speed X and sharpness X. Anyone can see that Miller has a football brain but sadly the speed and sharpness in front of goal are gone.

Can we really afford a wage for someone just to be a good influence in the dressing room, is that not Weir's job primarilly?

Edited by BrahimHemdani

Miller has been injured . . . the work Miller does off the ball...

Why are we resigning an old player who has been injured? His work off the ball?

I don't think that work off the ball is enough. We will need more than that next season.

Also . . .

I can't help it if you are feeling insulted. I did hope that you would offer something of substance and, to be fair, you have started to.

A striker needs three basic qualities IMO. Awareness/positional sense, tick that box. Speed X and sharpness X. Anyone can see that Miller has a football brain but sadly the speed and sharpness in front of goal are gone.

. . . and another question we should be asking is will his sharpness get better, or worse, as time passes.

Miller does do a lot of work off the ball and also directs the traffic; I have often felt that he would do well as a deep lying centre forward. However, that is not his role in this team, where he is being played as one of a front three and we have others in CMF.

Can we really afford a wage for someone just to be a good influence in the dressing room, is that not Weir's job primarilly?

I agree with most of that BH, apart from the bit where you believe Miller has positional sense. Laugh out loud moment for me there. Think back (or watch for yourself next time) to how many times he gets caught offside, or doesn't make a run into space when a ream-mate has the ball and is looking towards him. His positional sense is like the rest of his game, rubbish!

I agree that if the younger players cant get all they need from a gentleman and experienced pro like Davie Weir, then they are not asking the right questions. Miller's role, like McCulloch before him, is purely a waste of money and a shirt that could be used for developing a young prospect.