Happy Birthday Johnny Hubbard

Yes Happy Birthday JH.

Penalty Kick King 65 goals scored from 68, 22 consecutively.

It's amazing to think he managed to kick that big leather ba' so accurately so many times.

Wonder what he thinks today when he sees someone on hundreds of thousands of pounds per week miss one with these lightweight fancy boz.

As well as a penalty ace, he was a cracking winger - speed, trickery and a belter of a cross. Didn't head the ball much.

The photo must be from ten + years ago when he was in his seventies and he still looks as if he could dazzle down the touchline.

JH once told me that he signed for Rangers for £100, turning down £200 from Clyde who saw him star in a trial or friendly game after his arrival from South Africa; because he had given Rangers his word that he would sign if they wanted him.

A man of principle as well as great talent.

JH once told me that he signed for Rangers for £100, turning down £200 from Clyde who saw him star in a trial or friendly game after his arrival from South Africa; because he had given Rangers his word that he would sign if they wanted him.

A man of principle as well as great talent.

I was booked on a plane to leave Pretoria’s Jan Smutts Airport for London near midnight on 17 July 1949. Even as my suitcase sat in the hallway on the day of my departure with everything apparently cut and dried on my trial at Ibrox, there was another unexpected twist. Clyde’s representative, Roy Davies, came in very late and offered me £1,000 signing-on fee, a wage of £20 per week and a two-year contract. It was clearly a much better deal than the terms offered by Rangers, but I had given the club my word and accepted their offer so I could not possibly go back on that. I felt I had a duty to them since they had come along first and, as I said, none of this was really about the money for me. If I had been more money orientated, I would have taken the Clyde offer for sure. But, I was taken by all that I heard about Rangers and excited about the prospect of going there. My instincts were ultimately proven to be correct.

I was booked on a plane to leave Pretoria’s Jan Smutts Airport for London near midnight on 17 July 1949. Even as my suitcase sat in the hallway on the day of my departure with everything apparently cut and dried on my trial at Ibrox, there was another unexpected twist. Clyde’s representative, Roy Davies, came in very late and offered me £1,000 signing-on fee, a wage of £20 per week and a two-year contract. It was clearly a much better deal than the terms offered by Rangers, but I had given the club my word and accepted their offer so I could not possibly go back on that. I felt I had a duty to them since they had come along first and, as I said, none of this was really about the money for me. If I had been more money orientated, I would have taken the Clyde offer for sure. But, I was taken by all that I heard about Rangers and excited about the prospect of going there. My instincts were ultimately proven to be correct.

On the subject of 'money NOT talking' when it comes to playing for Rangers.

Back in 1936 a young lad was hustled out of his Lanark Grammar School classroom to be told by his father, who by the way was a fair left back with Forth Wanderers in his day, "Son, you are going to Glasgow to play for Rangers".

He had been invited to Ibrox by Manager Bill Struth who told him, "£2.00 per week my boy and I can promise you that if you accept and sign for Rangers you will never regret it. You will have the opportunity of a wonderful career. If you can get any more than that elsewhere you are welcome to take it".

Willie Waddell was the lad, he didn't bother to mention Portsmouth, a few days earlier, had offered him £6.00 a week!

Thanks for clarifying the details which I assume come from a Johny Hubbard book; although the £1,000 does sound a bit on the high side for those days (approx £32,000 in today's money, leaving aside Bosman type football inflation).

Thanks for clarifying the details which I assume come from a Johny Hubbard book; although the £1,000 does sound a bit on the high side for those days (approx £32,000 in today's money, leaving aside Bosman type football inflation).

It does sound a bit 'exaggerated' when you think about it, nothing wrong with the 'auldies' telling a tale or two. :)