Happy Birthday Johnny Hubbard

All the best to Mr.Hubbard.

ps. After seeing some photography, I was under the impression that BHemdani was Johnny Hubbard's Dad, perhaps not !

:whistle:

...:seal:

Vice versa would be a possible given I was born 9 months after his arrival here :whistle:

However if that had been true, I might have had some football genes and played for the Club rather than being a mere whistler. :D

On the subject of 'money NOT talking' when it comes to playing for Rangers.

Back in 1936 a young lad was hustled out of his Lanark Grammar School classroom to be told by his father, who by the way was a fair left back with Forth Wanderers in his day, "Son, you are going to Glasgow to play for Rangers".

He had been invited to Ibrox by Manager Bill Struth who told him, "£2.00 per week my boy and I can promise you that if you accept and sign for Rangers you will never regret it. You will have the opportunity of a wonderful career. If you can get any more than that elsewhere you are welcome to take it".

Willie Waddell was the lad, he didn't bother to mention Portsmouth, a few days earlier, had offered him £6.00 a week!

There is a similar story about Willie Thornton, who was as a reserve was on £1 a week and got a telegram instructing him to report to Ibrox for an evening first team match. His mother shined his boots and off he went. When Struth saw his shiny boots, he is reputed to have said, from now on you're on £2 a week, anyone who can shine his boots like that deserves a wage rise.

Vice versa would be a possible given I was born 9 months after his arrival here :whistle:

However if that had been true, I might have had some football genes and played for the Club rather than being a mere whistler. :D

Out of interest...who would you think who's place would have been in danger if you'd made the grade at Rangers back in the day BH? :)

Funny you look a lot older than him.:flipa::D

There is a similar story about Willie Thornton, who was as a reserve was on £1 a week and got a telegram instructing him to report to Ibrox for an evening first team match. His mother shined his boots and off he went. When Struth saw his shiny boots, he is reputed to have said, from now on you're on £2 a week, anyone who can shine his boots like that deserves a wage rise.

What ever happened to all these wonderful women who's jobs were looking after men footballers and taking care of menial jobs like cooking, scrubbing, looking after the kids and waiting on the 'weeks wages' being thrown on the bed?

What ever happened to all these wonderful women who's jobs were looking after men footballers and taking care of menial jobs like cooking, scrubbing, looking after the kids and waiting on the 'weeks wages' being thrown on the bed?

Now they just look for the wages getting thrown on the bed.:)

Out of interest...who would you think who's place would have been in danger if you'd made the grade at Rangers back in the day BH? :)

I never had any pretensions as a footballer Bearman and even in my wildest dreams I wouldn't have the temerity to instal myself in the successful teams of the Waddell/Wallace era or any other era for that matter. When we played football in the playground of my "rugby" school if there was an even number they put me in goals, if there was an odd number I got to be the ref.

Waddell recalled, " I was from a wee mining village and when you left there, it was like coming off a reservation. I saw something in Rangers, there was a pride, a tradition that I felt deep inside me.' It was the start of an extraordinary relationship between club and player which lasted until the day he died in 1992...