Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard

I think it's a lack of wingers in general. Outside McKay and Oduwa we're short -- until Templeton returns. I actually like the variety Miller brings and going with two strikers, but we certainly need more options on the flanks.

I think the issue when Miller plays is that he, Waghorn, Holt and Wallace are all often operating in the same space. Waghorn and Miller both like to come deep (either via a preference or lack of involvement) and that often reduces the threat of Holt more than creating the space for him that he can utilise. Agasinst Morton especially, Miller continually got in the way of midfielders trying ton get forward.

I'd actually like to see Aird come in. Yes he has his faults but he likes to play very wide and would help stretch the game.

Finally, one negative word from me: Oduwa isn't good enough or - at least - doesn't contribute enough. He was OK in the first half but generally he's a waste of a jersey.

That's true - however I think Tavernier is a useful player but just needs to understand better when to bomb forward and when to cover. He's also suffering from a lack of confidence at the moment - as well as constant changes in personnel in front of him.

I'd argue that the manager has to select a right sided forward and stick with them - be it Miller, Oduwa or Waghorn.

As I've said before Frankie, this defence is about ten goals better off than last year's defence at this stage. Taverniers form plummeted when he was talking about beating John Greig's record of goals from a full back. It became an obsession he would stay up for long periods leaving the defending to Kiernan and other teams have seen this and attacked us down our right hand side and very seldom our left....

IF ... is a nice word. IF it hadn't been for inept refereeing, THEY would not have had a penalty that never was (though Wilson MIGHT have been sent off). IF the ref had given the clear-cut foul on Oduwa seconds ahead of Baird tapping in the goal that never was, the situation WOULD never have occurred. IF Oduwa hadn't rolled the ball out for a corner, the latter would not have led to their second goal. IF the ref had given the free kick for the foul on Oduwa close to their area, all sorts of things MIGHT have occured.

That pendulum swings both ways and we can hardly say that certain things didn't went the Bairns' way.

And while we are at it with fortuitous decisions, how about that for the "team on the run" ...

... breaking up an attack of QotS because somewhere else on the field a player got a bloody nose. That's according to the rules. But to give the opposition player the ball straigt away to initiate an attack? That takes some beating, not least when you consider what sort of showmanship refs usually make of such decisions.

First time I've seen that.

Hutton was stupid but the refereeing is appalling.

As an aside, I'm always impressed by David Gray of Hibs. Always dangerous going forward but usually does a good job defensively as well.

As I've said before Frankie, this defence is about ten goals better off than last year's defence at this stage. Taverniers form plummeted when he was talking about beating John Greig's record of goals from a full back. It became an obsession he would stay up for long periods leaving the defending to Kiernan and other teams have seen this and attacked us down our right hand side and very seldom our left....

Fair points Bruno...

I think the issue when Miller plays is that he, Waghorn, Holt and Wallace are all often operating in the same space. Waghorn and Miller both like to come deep (either via a preference or lack of involvement) and that often reduces the threat of Holt more than creating the space for him that he can utilise. Agasinst Morton especially, Miller continually got in the way of midfielders trying ton get forward.

I'd actually like to see Aird come in. Yes he has his faults but he likes to play very wide and would help stretch the game.

Finally, one negative word from me: Oduwa isn't good enough or - at least - doesn't contribute enough. He was OK in the first half but generally he's a waste of a jersey.

Yes, our 'strikers' have to stretch the play rather than coming deep, which would create space for midfield runners. I seem to remember Waghorn doing that early on? It might return if the confidence returns, as I'm sure he's frustrated at the lack of goals and, as you suggest, feels the need to come deep to get involved. Miller comes deep because he doesn't have the legs. Hardie should get a game or two to show what he can do in that regard.

I thought Oduwa worked hard first-half, recalling a couple of times when he took on his defender successfully and tracking back to win the ball. However, the end product is lacking. I like the idea of using players for their strengths, and Aird -- despite having many faults! -- would provide width and an injection of pace.

On a sidenote, I don't think that our talent doesn't work hard. More like they are e.g. over-ambitious, hectic, too anxious and enthusiastic at times, so concentration much like passes goes astray. And then there are games where you can work your socks of for 90odd minutes and nothing will fall for you. All part of our current dilemma ... which wouldn't be an issue, if we'd score from a third of the chances we create per game again. And IF is the main word here, again.

Edited by der Berliner

On a sidenote, I don't think that our talent doesn't work hard. More like they are e.g. over-ambitious, hectic, too anxious and enthusiastic at times, so concentration much like passes goes astray. And then there are games where you can work your socks of for 90odd minutes and nothing will fall for you. All part of our current dilemma ... which wouldn't be an issue, if we'd score from a third of the chances we create per game again. And IF is the main word here, again.

Rather than not working hard, we're too passive at times. We need more urgency, more often and I think that's where our fans get frustrated.

The problem is the opposition tend to have more energy themselves early in games so we sometimes have to wait before our tactics really start to tell. Unfortunately, in recent games, not only have we had to wait for chances/goals, we've also conceded cheaply - exacerbating the problem and any frustration.

I personally don't believe that Aird is ever going to be good enough for this team. No question that he would provide width and pace, but for me, he does not possess the necessary composure and quality to get into this team. However, you are right, at the moment, Oduwa does not have the end product. No question about his skills, but I cannot recall too many chances that we have created from those skills. Probably means that Waghorn moves to the right and Miller plays down the middle. This would just highlight our overall deficiencies as a football team.

- We don't have a combative holding midfielder (I have enjoyed Halliday, but there is no question that he plays better when the team is attacking, and he doesn't really provide support for the centre backs when our attacks break down) so could see him moving to the left if we get someone in; MW does know this though (hence the long courtship with Eustace) and I think that this will be his first positional signing in the Jan transfer window.

- A quick right wing, (will be interested to see if the young boy from Wolves is given a contract) which then allows Waghorn to play down the middle.

The alternative would be to change the system from 4 3 3 to 4 4 2, which given our current player resources would probably be a better fit. However, this seems unlikely as MW seems married to Plan A.