Rangers open contract talks with Jason Holt, Andy Halliday and Barrie McKay

GERS were also given a boost after Gedion Zelalem signed an extension to his loan deal which will see the Arsenal kid stay in Ibrox until the end of the season.

RANGERS have opened talks with Jason Holt, Andy Halliday and Barrie McKay in a bid to tie the star trio down on improved Ibrox deals.

Light Blues boss Mark Warburton wants to reward the trio for their performances this season in helping the club to the top top of the Championship.

Gers were also given a boost after Gedion Zelalem signed an extension to his loan deal which will see the Arsenal kid stay in Glasgow until the end of the season.

And it came on the day Accrington Stanley duo Josh Windass and Matt Crooks travelled north for medicals at Murray Park ahead of a likely summer move.

But while Warburton is continuing his search for new faces in this month’s transfer window he wants to secure the futures of current key men.

And after playing vital roles this season Holt, Halliday and McKay have all been identified by Warburton as a trio he wants for life in the Scottish Premiership if they win promotion this season.

Former Hearts man Holt in particular has earned rave reviews for his displays with the free transfer bagging nine goals and his current contract runs until 2018.

Fellow midfielder Andy Halliday signed a two-year contract when he joined his boyhood heroes after moving on from English side Bradford City.

And McKay has flourished since the arrival of Warburton and assistant manager Davie Weir after it looked like his Gers career was faltering.

The 21-year-old signed a five-year deal in September 2012 but was loaned out out to Morton and Raith Rovers in successive seasons.

He didn’t feature in the play-offs under Stuart McCall when he returned from Stark’s Park but has been an integral part of Warburton’s side.

Meanwhile, USA youth international Zelalem will remain in Scotland for the second half of the season on loan from the Gunners.

The 18-year-old has featured 15 times for the Light Blues and returned as a substitute in last week’s 6-0 drubbing of Dumbarton after missing the previous two games with injury.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-open-contract-talks-jason-7129997

Holt & Mckay have improved big time in a short time under W&W,not sure if Halliday has improved that much but only because I knew little about him when he joined,however he has impressed me since he signed,well deserved for all 3 players I would say.

Holt & Mckay have improved big time in a short time under W&W,not sure if Halliday has improved that much but only because I knew little about him when he joined,however he has impressed me since he signed,well deserved for all 3 players I would say.

Agreed; but know one gives his all like Andy haliday in my eyes...

Agreed; but know one gives his all like Andy haliday in my eyes...

I am certainly not complaining mate,I have been very impressed with him,I had just never seen much of him before his arrival.

no quotes & story run in rhecord = bullshit.

When will we learn. Warburton does two or three pressers a week and has said nothing about this, so their is absolutely no evidence to give this story any credibility.

While I dont mind if this is true as all 3 have performed well this season, 2 of them are only 6 months into their deals so I dont see the rush to renew their deals. Dont know the situation with McKay. It is simply throwing away money (which clearly we dont have given the January additions to date) at this time to improve their deals unnecessarily. At least wait until the summer when all have played a full season and see how they are going to fit into the plans for the top tier before giving them a deal which may make it difficult to move them on if they fall out of favour.

Stinks of an agent trying to get their player a pay rise early (and therefore themselves another earner).

I am certainly not complaining mate,I have been very impressed with him,I had just never seen much of him before his arrival.

Correct ian, we let him go when he was younger so he knows what it takes to become a true blue...