Euro Success being taken for granted and a rant

Firstly, I'm defining success as being still in Europe after Christmas and I'm talking about the media and general public taking it for granted.

I'm fed up hearing about how poor Tel Aviv were from the media. Yes, they played poorly, but every time Scotland play or we come up against an unknown side in Europe, we hear that there's no such thing as an easy game in Europe. So after losing 2-1 in the first leg and destroying them at home in a superb display, I see lots of negative comments in the media and from people on forums, at work etc saying that we were playing a crappy team. Very little was said about just how well Rangers played.

Besides, if I remember rightly, it wasn't too long ago that pundits were moaning consistently about the OF in Europe. How we were a disgrace for signing lots of foreigners and never managing to make it past Christmas in Europe. Every season the whinging from the usual characters was the same. They even complained that it was our fault the national team was going downhill and because we were always winning the league, no-one else was getting a chance to experience European football.

And now? Suddenly they've forgotten all of the above. Rangers in Europe after Christmas? Nothing special apparently. 9 Scots starting? Hardly mentioned. A powerful victory to get through to the last 16? Weak opposition.

I don't think there's a particular agenda in the Scottish media against us as every club's fans think the press has it in for their own club, but I do believe the industry is full of lazy journalists, some of whom do have their own unique views about us. These guys will never give us due credit for results on the pitch and even any attempts to improve the issues we have off the pitch. The just seem intent on spewing forth any nonsense in the name of a headline. Has anyone seen McNee's comments about the bouncy, which he's chosen to print again today for example?

The Billy Boys is banned and after a few shaky matches, its gone. That should have been a monumental step forward for the club and been heralded from all corners of the press, public and even Holyrood. But there's been barely a murmur about it. Instead, we get even more negative stories about the remaining songs we're singing. The remaining songs, which don't contain even a trace of an *** and have been given the all-clear by UEFA. They're considered folk songs and shouldn't be offending anyone, so why are they constantly mentioned in newspaper reports and by other fans?

More to the point, why isn't the club doing more to promote to the press about the good things we've achieved? Bain finally said some positive things about the support this week, but that's well overdue. When the infamous red hand salute raised its head again, why didn't the club come out with a very strong line? Firstly, name & shame the guys in Israel and ban them. How about pointing out that in this case, it really is a minority of fans involved? How about saying that the club will take a zero tolerance approach to this and ensuring that anyone doing it from now on is ejected from the ground? (I understand that this would involve the polis and stewards actually growing a spine and doing their job for a change).

Bain could even have come out and quoted articles which we've all seen, which seem to prove that there is no such thing as a red hand salute. Lets educate the fans who still think they're just upholding the history and tradition of our club before taking the heavy handed approach outlined above.

Why don't the men at the top of our club stand up for us in the public eye? With the press. With parliament. With other clubs and their fans ffs. Its not difficult. Most fans of other clubs don't like us as a club or a support. So there's nothing to lose. Week in week out we take a slagging and no-one stands to fight our corner. Part of the problem is that we live in such a paranoid and parochial-minded country that success does breed a hell of a lot of jealousy.

The recent comments from Romanov about corruption within the game have shown exactly that. What should be dismissed as the mad ramblings of someone who is too used to getting their own way, are actually greeted by lots of fans as relief that someone is actually standing up to the OF and telling it as it is. What do we do in response? Not very much as it happens.

Given the down-sizing that's been happening at Ibrox over the past 5 years or so, I think the loyalty shown by the fans has been tremendous. I think its now time for the men at the top of the club to repay some of that loyalty, show they have a set of balls and start standing up for the club we all love.

Man, where did all that come from? Time for a lie down I think.

Some good points Mike. The agenda at Ibrox, PR wise, seems to be to keep a dignified silence unless pushed into a corner. A more proactive approach is needed. An approach which is similar to the one adopted by our East End rivals. It's one of a number of things that they are leading the way with...