Helen Martin: Who will tackle the hate-filled football thugs

3907657153.jpg

THE story of a Hibby reader who wrote to me offers a good insight into how authorities are actually supporting bad behaviour at football matches rather than clamping down on it.

At Ibrox at the end of last year, he was “disgustingly” verbally abused, tried to make a complaint to a police officer ... and was told to “move away”.

With the chant of “die you ****** b******s” ringing around them, he asked the officer why he wasn’t noting his complaint, whereupon he was threatened with arrest for “breach of the peace” if he didn’t return to his seat.

He did – and was pelted with coins, lighters, bottles and cans. Another officer witnessed this missile assault so naturally, my reader asked him what action he was going to take against the perpetrators.

None, was the response. Instead he was advised to write to his MP.

Individual police are probably scared to do their job lest they become the victim of a mob attack, but leaving real victims defenceless is not an option.

If the football industry (for that’s what it is) won’t spend its own gate and TV revenue on stopping vile behaviour, or suspend the teams who attract such criminal followers, we have a choice.

Send in the army – or at least be honest and put up signs around the grounds saying the law doesn’t apply within stadiums where such teams are playing, spectators enter at their own risk, the police will not help them and it’s every man for himself.

Read more: http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/opinion/helen-martin-who-will-tackle-the-hate-filled-football-thugs-1-4010703#ixzz3yGgQRTLg

I've been to Ibrox hundreds of times in the last 15-20 years and have never seen a bottle or can thrown.

It's about time Rangers FC dealt with these lies.

It really is time for the club to step up and deal with these lies,they have to respond to them,I know they can't/shouldn't respond to all articles but this is getting out of hand

3907657153.jpg

THE story of a Hibby reader who wrote to me offers a good insight into how authorities are actually supporting bad behaviour at football matches rather than clamping down on it.

At Ibrox at the end of last year, he was “disgustingly” verbally abused, tried to make a complaint to a police officer ... and was told to “move away”.

With the chant of “die you ****** b******s” ringing around them, he asked the officer why he wasn’t noting his complaint, whereupon he was threatened with arrest for “breach of the peace” if he didn’t return to his seat.

He did – and was pelted with coins, lighters, bottles and cans. Another officer witnessed this missile assault so naturally, my reader asked him what action he was going to take against the perpetrators.

None, was the response. Instead he was advised to write to his MP.

Individual police are probably scared to do their job lest they become the victim of a mob attack, but leaving real victims defenceless is not an option.

If the football industry (for that’s what it is) won’t spend its own gate and TV revenue on stopping vile behaviour, or suspend the teams who attract such criminal followers, we have a choice.

Send in the army – or at least be honest and put up signs around the grounds saying the law doesn’t apply within stadiums where such teams are playing, spectators enter at their own risk, the police will not help them and it’s every man for himself.

Read more: http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/opinion/helen-martin-who-will-tackle-the-hate-filled-football-thugs-1-4010703#ixzz3yGgQRTLg

Do Hibs not still have a casual element who go around looking for bother wherever they travel ?

Coins, lighters, bottles and cans ?? Seriously ? I doubt that !

No need for that though!,the club should take her to task,and also police Scotland for her attack on them!

"should" Ian, correct. But most likely won't.

These journo's won't be afraid of the club if we sit and do nothing, but if the fans start taking it upon themselves to fight back (the RFFF cash being an example) then I'm sure they would start thinking twice about writing such drivel.

I'm of the opinion the club WILL start acting on such scenarios however I also believe right now that we just have so much still to complete and this is nowhere near the top of our to do list. So I see it more as the fans helping the club out just now till we clear our plate so to speak.

This is what happens when the board adopt an old failed idea of dignified silence, lies like this are perpetuated and indulged.

The current Board have done a little more of correcting these things of late, although not perfect - hopefully this article is taken to task.

Looks like utter nonsense to me.

And coming from fans of a Club who have had their fair share of running battles down Leith Road on game days....