Warburton - Changes at Youth Development

Actually some of his ideas don't logically work when you apply it to the whole of Scotland. For example, how can everyone play 17 year olds against 20 year olds? All you get is a de facto under 18 league.

The man's class and intelligence to see where things are going wrong and rectify them

the changes he's made to us

the plastic pitch issue etc

value and the product on display.

A lot of people were unhappy at McKay's development and so can't be happy with this.

Not sure about this. McKay was thrown in at 4th tier level at 17 and did admriably. He was loaned out for quite some time after that and IMHO, did not lose his skills but toughened up quite a bit. IMHO, what MW is saying that young players need competition to develop and they are not exactly getting it in the u20s setup (which he will have watched for the last 8 months now). Perhaps more of a warning shot aimed at the authorities rather than a "thread". Far too long have we had a reserve side filled with 18 to 22-year olds who apparently never really reached their potential there, while other sides, mostly out of necessity, had to blood their talent in the league games and from which "stars" like Allan, Carmichael, Dorrans, McArthur and a whole host of other chaps from teams like Livingston or Falkirk, Dundee or St. Johnstone rose. No world beaters at 20 or 22, mind you, but solid and talented pros with potential to become even better. IMHO, right now it is like MW says: we have to loan our better youngsters so they get a chance to develop their talent up to first team standards.

NB: all that said, I would have expected that Jordan Thompson had a decent enough level, having played in a far more competitive EPL youth league. His problem is that Halliday and Ball take up his slot in the side.

Go the Spanish route and allow the "development" teams entry into the lower divisions - but disallow them from playing in the same league as their senior team.

It gives them competitive games and, if you want to improve the chances of developing better players, limit the number of non-Scots from that team too if you like.

I can clearly see a few lesser clans ... ahem clubs will whinge if a development league loses the "big teams" and start threatening with stuff like: "we won't be able to support our own u20s team and thus Scottish football as a whole will suffer and ... "

I'm not sure why this would be the case when they aren't making money from their development teams as it is. It isn't as if they are charging at the gates for many games and even if they were the revenue is likely to be a pittance.

For me it's a no brainer, have a Rangers and celtic "reserve" side in the third division who can't be promoted. The revenue it would generate for the third division sides would be life changing to them.

For me it's a no brainer, have a Rangers and celtic "reserve" side in the third division who can't be promoted. The revenue it would generate for the third division sides would be life changing to them.

I think that if you prevent them from being promoted then the motivation goes out of it for the OF players - they have nothing to play for other than pride.

The Spanish route is the way for me. They can still be promoted but cannot play in the same league as their senior team. Allowing promotion would give the OF players the chance to get promoted to within one league of their senior team, thus showing the management that they might be ready for that next step. All the while gaining competitive games.