[FT] Rangers 4 (Forrester 1; Holt 47; Halliday 54; Wallace 83) - 0 Dundee

Sunday Service.

Over forty years past, Sunday afternoon life could be excruciating. Sunday mornings were consumed with Kirk, Sunday School, and cub/scout parades. God was insistent, it was his/her day and entertainment opportunities were to be frowned upon. Afternoons were for focusing the mind, a choice of further bible study or doing your Latin homework? My Saviour was the Sunday papers, although they had to be purchased by one O'Clock. Once your newsagent closed, no further retail opportunities were available. Of course, Glasgow had the Barras market and the one bus per hour leaving deepest, darkest Lanarkshire might get you there; however, returning after five required a fifteen mile walk. Such perambulation builds a thirst, finding a hotel with the necessary licence to serve 'bona-fide travellers' was a quest worthy of Jason and his Argonauts. You would think the telly and radio would be hoaching with discussions on the ludicrous requirement to travel three miles and provide a guarantee of intent to travel another three, before an establishment would furnish you with a beverage? Nope, the broadcast waves were consumed by praising the God character.

Nineteen seventy-four was a God send, providence came in the form of two General Elections. Two three week political campaigns in both February and October relieved the boredom. You know the score? You wait several hours for a bus and two or three arrive simultaneously. Amid the February election build-up, it was announced Rangers were to dip their toe into the turbulent waters of Sunday football. We had drawn Dundee in the fourth round of the Scottish Cup and tens of thousands of Bears were more than aye ready to travel six miles. One hundred and two years had evolved, almost to the day of foundation and Rangers were hosting their first Sunday game at Ibrox. Further, the following week's home league fixture against Dundee United was also declared a Sunday game.

The seventeenth of February arrived, weak sunshine dappled the old Stadium and 65,000 souls crowded in to receive God's blessing. Dundee were more than a good side, they were marshaled by former Rangers boss, Davie White and skippered by Lisbon Lion, Tommy Gemmell. They were holders of the League Cup, defeating the hooped horrors one nil at Hampden a few months previously. Their biggest asset, they could play fitba'. We weren't bad ourselves, cup holders after Tam Forsyth's studded winner in a 3-2 victory over ra Sellik. The previous year had seen us compete with the then three times in a row European Cup winners, Ajax in the first ever Super Cup(two legged) final. We lost 6-3 on aggregate. Both teams were finely matched.

The game saw the following line ups; Rangers went with, McCloy, Jardine, Mathieson, Greig, Jackson, Johnstone, McLean, O'Hara, Parlane, Scott, Hamilton, and Cutty Young came on as a second half sub for Johnny Hamilton. Dundee were, Allan, Wilson, Gemmell, Ford, Stewart, Wilson, Philip, Robinson, Duncan, Scott, and Lambie. We started well, created and squandered a few chances, and reached midway at nil, nil. The second half was a lesson in short passing, culminating in the longer through ball to the runner. Jocky Scott notched just after the restart, and John Duncan, a truly wonderful forward, chipped in with a double in the last twenty minutes. Our first Sunday experience was a 0-3 gubbing at the hand of a grievous Lord. Our second Sunday saw the Arabs arrive minus their God fearing manager, Jim McLean, he would hold the Lord's day. Forty-five thousand Bears agreed, Rangers defeated Dundee United 3-1, Cutty Young scoring our first Sunday goal in front of 20,000.

Saturday's match appears similar. Hartley's team likes to play an expansive game, their full backs are pushed on, and the front three of Hemmings, Loy, and Stewart have movement and goals. It could be argued that they are our better plan A, in that the players are competing at a higher level. The two games against Killie saw an uneasy first twenty minutes as we strove to cope with greater physicality, pace, and mindset. I would go with a Rangers eleven of Foderingham, Tavenier, Wilson, Kiernan, Wallace, Halliday, Ball, Holt, McKay, Law, and Miller. Further, I would remind Paul Hartley that the last time he led a side to Ibrox on Scottish Cup duty, he was leading a club from the division above. Alloa Athletic lost seven zip that day.

I am not confident and would happily take a replay at Dens, I suspect it would suit us better. I would be a bona fide traveller.

Possible team:

formation_1000x500_new_dundee.jpg

Edited by Frankie

Thanks for that bud - now on the main site:

http://www.gersnet.co.uk/index.php/news-category/match-analysis/588-revisting-our-first-sunday-service-rangers-v-dundee

I suspect the manager will err on the side of caution and play Ball but I'd fancy the in-form Forrester will play on the right instead of Law. Interestingly, depending on the fitness of Zelelam, we may have three youth players on the bench (Liam Burt, Scott Roberts and Jack Thomson) so one or two of them may well get a chance to impress as well.

Just picked up my ticket , £19, and just over 29,000 sold so far , not too shabby co spidering it's live on tv with an early kick off , and well priced

Just picked up my ticket , £19, and just over 29,000 sold so far , not too shabby co spidering it's live on tv with an early kick off , and well priced

Can't argue with those numbers.

I'd expect somewhere closer to 35,000 tomorrow as hopefully plenty fans will look to pay on the day.

Was at the 0 - 3 match and remember the traffic being horrendous with the match already started by the time we managed to park.

My friends dad lost his wallet and as after the full time whistle we were allowed back in to the empty stadium to search, like we had any chance of finding it.

I recall Dundee played us off the park that day as the result reflected although i've every confidence that will not be repeated tomorrow. 2 - 1 Rangers.

Thanks for that bud - now on the main site:

http://www.gersnet.co.uk/index.php/news-category/match-analysis/588-revisting-our-first-sunday-service-rangers-v-dundee

I suspect the manager will err on the side of caution and play Ball but I'd fancy the in-form Forrester will play on the right instead of Law. Interestingly, depending on the fitness of Zelelam, we may have three youth players on the bench (Liam Burt, Scott Roberts and Jack Thomson) so one or two of them may well get a chance to impress as well.

Forrester was a revelation on Tuesday night, deep starting and allowed freedom to roam. He was far more involved and his splay footed, skipping running style reminded me of Gordon Smith. He was subbed correctly for cardio-vascular reasons, simply he was blowing out his arse. I suspect we will have to hold down both flanks and Tav' needs more help than most in this regard. Law has plenty of practice starting wide with Motherwell.

Ball's role will be to counter Gary Harkins at every turn, cannot allow him to get his head up, he can play a pass. A lump of a Bhoy too.

Forrester was a revelation on Tuesday night, deep starting and allowed freedom to roam. He was far more involved and his splay footed, skipping running style reminded me of Gordon Smith. He was subbed correctly for cardio-vascular reasons, simply he was blowing out his arse. I suspect we will have to hold down both flanks and Tav' needs more help than most in this regard. Law has plenty of practice starting wide with Motherwell.

Ball's role will be to counter Gary Harkins at every turn, cannot allow him to get his head up, he can play a pass. A lump of a Bhoy too.

Don't disagree with that analysis but when a player is on-form it makes more sense to play him than worrying about what the opposition have.

With that in mind it wouldn't be a huge surprise to me to see the only changes to Tuesday's team being McKay in for King and Law/Miller in for O'Halloran. That allows us the same central combination and balance as we seen the other night.

That would give Dundee food for thought.

There is a pay in gate tomorrow, so hopefully you are correct with your figure.

http://rangers.co.uk/news/tickets/pay-gate-saturday/

Tickets are still available in various sections of every stand as well, so it won't be limited to pay at the gate for the Copland Rear, folk will still be able to walk up and buy tickets for other sections.