Record Back Page

Something which hasn't been mentioned in all of this is one thing which Charles Green etc could have been doing well to listen to....

King is on record as saying "we built this squad to win the Championship, not the Premier League". An acknowledgement that Warburton put together a squad capable of winning the Championship as "Phase 1" with an expectation that further squad additions would be expected for an assault on the top flight.

Not only is this the way that Ally and Green should have created a squad (as it would have saved a ton of money) but it also shows that King has financial maturity, as does Warburton.

The more I bear witness to King the more I am impressed and ever more comfortable that he is the right person to be our Custodian (along with T3B, Murray, Gilligan and the full Board in fairness) at the right time. A desire to take us back to the top but a desire to do so within our means. And he got the single biggest decision correct when he appointed Warburton who also understands the need for fiscal prudence having worked in the City previously. I get the impression that Warburton is a younger version of Wenger - though hopefully we will see him win more silverware that Arsene :D

How much has been spent by all investors - I know it's quite a bit? There's the Ashley loan for starters and we've had losses to absorb as well as loans for cash flow. There's the stadium work and other expenses too. £10m? I haven't been keeping count.

Whatever he's spent so far, it seems like the perfect Goldylocks amount - not too much, not too little. Exactly what we need. We will need money each year for at least a few years and that's optimistic, so why would a sane person spend it all now?

I like the Goldilocks analogy. It is perfect.

We spunked a TON of money on wages in the lower leagues when we could have punted most the high earners, keeping just a spine, and still have climbed the leagues. You spend what is necessary and not much more. This season the Board and Warburton have done exactly that and it has paid off handsomely.

To spend all 30 million now would be absolutely pointless - UNLESS..... it was being spent on infrastructure - I have no issue spending the whole amount now if it was being used to future-proof the infrastructure of the Club and/or to generate revenue streams. But on player recruitment it makes little sense - some of these players you have for a couple of years and then lose - so spending all your money in one window makes little sense, to me at least.

Not sure that the one necesarily follows the other!

It doesn't have to, admittedly. But I don't get the impression that Warburton is about greed, and often greed is what drives a lack of fiscal prudence, regardless of the industry.