Lee Wallace and Barrie McKay named in Scotland squads

If pre-season starts on June 16, and this meaningless friendly is on June 4, what sort of rest or holiday does that give them?

If we give them an extra week or two to have a proper rest after these games, then they will be behind the rest of the squad going into very important Euro qualifiers (hopefully!)

Given they have both played almost every game this season, rest is more important than some training with the National side (they aint going to be playing lets face it apart from perhaps 20 minutes as a sub). Thanks but no thanks this time Strachan.

This actually poses the question.... Has Strachan done this as a favour to Celtic ? He knows we have a SC Final May 21st and, should we win, have Euro qualifiers just a couple of weeks after this.... these guys play and they will be burnt out before the season even properly starts.

On top of that, it could also be that he has selected them as he knows they would possibly withdraw due to the rigours of the season - and Strachan can use the "look, I selected them, but they just aren't dedicated to the cause" line.

Of course, the above would only be believed if you suffered from paranoia :D

Matthew Lindsay ‏@MattLindsayHT 4m4 minutes ago

The Celtic players - Charlie Mulgrew aside - have been left out to give them rest before the Champions League qualifiers.

If we win the Scottish cup and qualify for EL then they both should pull out for a rest as well

Matthew Lindsay ‏@MattLindsayHT 4m4 minutes ago

The Celtic players - Charlie Mulgrew aside - have been left out to give them rest before the Champions League qualifiers.

Rangers have less time between their last competitive game this season 21st of May and their first of next season (either 14th or 16th of July). If we qualify for Europe it is the 14th, if not it's the League Cup on the 16th.

Celtic have their last game this Sunday 15th of May and their first next season on the 12th or 13th of July.

ie. Strachan simply sees the Celtic cause as more important.

Rangers have less time between their last competitive game this season 21st of May and their first of next season (either 14th or 16th of July). If we qualify for Europe it is the 14th, if not it's the League Cup on the 16th.

Celtic have their last game this Sunday 15th of May and their first next season on the 12th or 13th of July.

ie. Strachan simply sees the Celtic cause as more important.

So!,the only reason they are included is because the C****c players are excluded?

If we win the Scottish cup and qualify for EL then they both should pull out for a rest as well

That sounds only reasonable given what GS has said today.

Aberdeen face a Europa League qualifier on 30 June, while Celtic start their Champions League qualifiers on 12/13 July, but McLean and Griffiths had both declared themselves keen to be involved.

"I'm the Scotland manager. My job is to get the best for Scottish football," Strachan added. "I'm trying to give them as much rest as I can so they can be ready for their European ties.

"It might be a bit of a gamble, I could have done with some of them."

Craig Gordon, Kieran Tierney, James Forrest, Griffiths and Scott Brown - who has been playing through the pain of inflamed hamstrings - are all rested.

But Celtic defender Charlie Mulgrew is in the squad, with Strachan pointing out he may not be at Parkhead beyond the end of the season.

"He will maybe not be a Celtic player when we play the second game. His contract is up. So that's the reason Charlie is there. But Charlie has had a stop-start season and I don't think he needs as much of a rest."

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36269191

Edited by buster.

That sounds only reasonable given what GS has said today.

I find it embarrassing when a national team manager makes comment about a player's contract situation with his club team.