Change of tactics?

I'd be disappointed if Halliday isn't getting a look in. I know that (goal apart) he had a poor cup final but generally he's been consistent for us. He should be free now to take up his natural attacking role.

I've never felt he had played that well for us as an attacking player. Looks far more comfortable as a defensive midfielder IMO.

I've never felt he had played that well for us as an attacking player. Looks far more comfortable as a defensive midfielder IMO.

Was about to say the same. Halliday is one for me that is not quite at the next level. He is not great as a holding midfielder as we were far too often exposed, and his few games further forward were pretty poor. If i'm honest I cant see him being a regular next season if we bring in the quality we need.

I cannot see Warburton change tactics for next season away from his beloved 4-3-3. He tried to change it for Easter Road and binned it after an hour, never to be seen again. He goes on about how plan B is to do plan A better, so I dont see a wholescale change of formation for next year if he can bring in the players to play plan A better than the season just ended.

As for our signings so far, only Barton looks like a starter to me. Rossiter will not walk into our team after 5 first team games for Liverpool in 2 years and numerous injuries - wouldnt be surprised if he is loaned out to see if he can play a few games without getting injured.

Agree with this too.

He may "prefer" to be an attacking mid but I don't think he is creative enough for that role. I actually see his primary position being the one he currently holds - or with Barton in the team playing slightly further advanced where Zelalem played when he got game time.

If we are to have a "10" then, IMHO, it needs to be someone more creative than Halliday.

I cannot see Warburton change tactics for next season away from his beloved 4-3-3. He tried to change it for Easter Road and binned it after an hour, never to be seen again. He goes on about how plan B is to do plan A better, so I dont see a wholescale change of formation for next year if he can bring in the players to play plan A better than the season just ended.

As for our signings so far, only Barton looks like a starter to me. Rossiter will not walk into our team after 5 first team games for Liverpool in 2 years and numerous injuries - wouldnt be surprised if he is loaned out to see if he can play a few games without getting injured.

I think Rossiter WILL be a starter. If you look at our midfield 2 this past season it was mostly Halliday, Holt and one from Ball, Zelalem, Law, Shiels and Forrester. Only Forrester of those latter players is creative IMHO. And from the 2 mainstays (Halliday and Holt) only Holt is creative.

So in a fair number of games we only really had one creative spark in the midfield 3 - which means you could start Barton and Rossiter together and not lose either the shape or the tactics.

I said in another thread the other day that I don't think you always need a Gazza type with flair in abundance - the reason we wouldn't necessarily need that is because what beats our opponents these days more often than an individual "skinning" an opponent is the movement and rotation of our "front 6".

The movement from the front 6 is so constant that opponents struggle to know whether to stay or go. This obviously doesn't work as well when up against a 10 man wall all watching the game in front of them and that is when the spark of genius would be nice - but for the most part our movement is our creativity.

Wouldn't refuse a creative player nonetheless - wonder if Messi sees the excitement in the final leg of the journey :D

Niko Kranjcar? :)

I would say yes. I think at our price point that Kranjcar would be an excellent signing. Despite his advancing years (31 isnt that old to be fair...) we would be getting a quality player that we simply couldn't afford otherwise.

Barton and also Kranjcar would represent some excellent business in my view.