John Hartson: It’ll take a lot more than Joey Barton to turn Rangers into champs

John Hartson: Rangers will be lucky to escape with 4-0 defeat to Celtic

CELTIC virtually just need to turn up to win.

All Ronny Deila has to do is make sure no one in his team poops their pants at Hampden tomorrow.

If he can manage that then it’s a no-brainer.

Mark Warburton’s Rangers will be lucky to get out of Hampden with a 4-0 defeat.

But this is the Old Firm and the one thing everyone who has ever been to this game will tell you is true.

Absolutely anything can happen.

So maybe I’ll be proved wrong and it’ll be the blue half of the city celebrating at the final whistle.

I just can’t see it.

And I’m not just saying this because I support Celtic now, as a proud former Parkhead player.

I just look at the level Rangers have been playing at this season and can’t see any way they can win this game, IF Celtic turn up and perform the way they should.

That’s the key, that’s the million-dollar question.

Do the current Celtic team have the cojones to stand up and be counted when they need to most?

Let’s face it, it’s not always happened during Deila’s watch.

I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve slated the Norwegian for being out of his depth.

But this game is all about the players — in terms of ability as well as which ones are able to control their emotions.

For me, Celtic come out on top in every department.

Look at Craig Gordon, Charlie Mulgrew, Scott Brown and Leigh Griffiths — that’s the spine of Gordon Strachan’s international team right there.

Throw in Kieran Tierney and you have another Scotland player.

But on top of that you’ve got Erik Sviatchenko of Denmark, Mikael Lustig of Swede, Nir Bitton of Israel, Stefan Johansen of Norway.

Who have Rangers got who plays at the highest level?

No one — that’s who.

It’s not like back in my day when we played against superstars in the Rangers side.

We lost some Old Firm derbies, sure we did, but there was no shame in that back then.

Celtic simply cannot dare lose this one because there is far too much at stake.

Everyone can see the gulf — even Rangers fans probably acknowledge it — so the idea that Celtic can lose heaps a lot of pressure on their shoulders.

But playing for a club of that size is all about being able to handle that.

I remember playing in my first Old Firm derby and the prospect terrified me, if truth be told.

It was November 2001 and the build-up seemed to last for weeks, each day closer to the game making me increasingly nervous.

But that was fine because by the time I ran out onto the park I was ready for it.

And there was no way I was going to let the game or anyone else intimidate me.

I’d played in North London derbies between Arsenal and Spurs, Wales against England and West Ham against Tottenham.

The Celtic versus Rangers game was a completely different ball game — but I didn’t shrink.

I was one of the bigger players in our team and I knew I had to stand up to be counted.

It’s a game where everyone searches for a hero and I wanted to be that man.

Thinking back, I’m very proud of my record against Rangers.

I scored the winning goal in four consecutive Old Firm games, which is something which may never happen again.

But if I was still playing now — getting ready for tomorrow — I’d be desperate to make a name for myself in this game again.

That’s what the Celtic lads need to do.

They need to run out with a determination to show they’re the best team — because there’s no doubt they are.

If they’re not ready for it, then Rangers could make them pay.

Personally, though, I’m thoroughly looking forward to seeing how the game pans out.

Whatever anyone thinks of Celtic or Rangers there’s absolutely no doubt that Scottish football has missed this fixture in the last four years.

There is often an unsavoury element to the game but it’s still a tremendous occasion and one millions and millions of people will be glued to tomorrow afternoon.

With that in mind I hope the day passes without any stupidity on or off the pitch.

The players need to keep their heads and be competitive without crossing the line.

Equally, the two sets of supporters need to remember that it’s only a game at the end of the day.

Go to Hampden and back your team but, c’mon, don’t do anything which brings shame on your club or your family.

The world is watching, remember.

Let’s hope that all everyone is talking about by Monday morning is how the game went and the final result.

2 days later

football-rangers-celtic_3450626.jpg?20160417145647

Firstly John you a very bitter person because the most successful club in the world refused to sign you.

Secondly Scott Brown not shaking in his boots? Brown couldn't get within 5 yards of a Rangers player at Hampden. Just one thing. I hope you and Rogers stay loyal to Brown as that will mean happy days for Rangers.

Maybe I missed something but can Hartson please provide evidence of Rangers "celebrating" the arrival of Barton? I think most people I've spoken to seem to be quite realistic and measured about the signing and have faith in our manager unlike 10,000 people turning up to see a new manager whose recent CV was far from glowing. Just ask Liverpool fans about Stoke's 6 goals. I also don't get the Barton is a massive Celtic fan guff. One or two tweets here and there and he is a massive fan. Stop mischief making Hartson.

he's wrong about everything

also in the week celtc appoint brogers he's talking about Rangers?

That sadly has become the default topic for a lot of Celtic fans. I actually have mates who are season ticket holders at Parkhead who have distanced themselves from several other Celtic fans based on the fact that they are so concerned, nay obsessed about Rangers and all they talk about is what is happening at Ibrox. Weird

was talking to a mate the other day who was going on about this. He took his son to a tour of the new walkway. The tour guide explained that the weird position and angle of the statue is on purpose so the European cup faces Ibrox. My mate said he was disgusted and lost for words . I'm always on at him saying its all about the Rangers so it hit a nerve!

''He’s slaughtered Rangers and everything they stand for and yet here he is signing at Ibrox like it’s a dream come true''.

I wonder what he means with that?

That would be the same Rangers he was ready to sign for.

was talking to a mate the other day who was going on about this. He took his son to a tour of the new walkway. The tour guide explained that the weird position and angle of the statue is on purpose so the European cup faces Ibrox. My mate said he was disgusted and lost for words . I'm always on at him saying its all about the Rangers so it hit a nerve!

Is that right? The clubs greatest achievement and they still have to somehow mention Rangers. Sad does not even cover it

That sadly has become the default topic for a lot of Celtic fans. I actually have mates who are season ticket holders at Parkhead who have distanced themselves from several other Celtic fans based on the fact that they are so concerned, nay obsessed about Rangers and all they talk about is what is happening at Ibrox. Weird

Hartson knows this which is why all he talks about is Rangers too.

I've always thought it's some sort of inferiority complex thing