Andy Little: Josh Windass is gonna be a big hit at Ibrox

ANDY LITTLE believes Josh Windass was born to grace the biggest stage.

The former Rangers man spent the last two months of the season on loan at Accrington Stanley alongside Windass and fellow Ibrox new boy Matt Crooks.

And he has no doubt that Windass will take the step up from England’s League Two to the Scottish Premiership in his stride.

Little struck up a firm friendship with Windass at the Wham Stadium and is convinced his pal has the talent and self-confidence to handle being a Rangers star.

He said: “Josh came back from the recent Old Firm game raving about it, saying it was the best atmosphere he’d ever experienced.

“A lot of players would have been taken aback and over-awed by it but he was just excited about the prospect of being a part of it.

“I could tell he was thinking ‘This is my stage’ and ‘Next season I’ll be doing what Barrie McKay did’. That is the kind of attitude he’s got — and what you need to make it at Rangers.

“He’s been playing in front of 2,500 supporters at Accrington but feels he should be playing in front of 50,000.

“The fact that he has so much self-belief will be his biggest strength at Rangers.”

Little knows Windass, son of former Aberdeen favourite Dean, can back that up with talent after the 22-year-old kept him out of the Accrington side.

He said: “Josh was the main reason why I couldn’t get in the team.

“He was amazing. He plays just behind the striker but the beauty of him is that he pops up everywhere.

“He is confident on the verge of cocky but a very nice lad at the same time.

“At Accrington he had a free licence and he was given the role of winning the game for the team. He really embraced and relished that despite being so young. Joining a very good footballing side with a manager who encourages the team to play will suit him down to the ground.

“Technically he is good, he is skilful and quick. He is very strong as well. He has got it all.”

It would also appear the young playmaker is determined to give himself the best possible chance of succeeding at Ibrox.

Little said: “I spoke to Josh an awful lot. The main thing we chatted about was where to live in Glasgow.

“He was always quizzing me about various places and I would give him some advice, where to consider, where not to go.

“He has his head screwed on and I think he realises just what he is about to join. For that reason he has deliberately chosen somewhere away from the city centre to live

“He just wants to get his head down and is determined to hit the ground running and stay away from living the life of a young single guy.”

Little didn’t get the chance to see first hand what Crooks has to offer due to an ankle injury.

But he heard plenty of good things about the midfield powerhouse.

He added: “It might have seemed strange to a lot of fans when it came out that Rangers had signed two Accrington Stanley players.

“I’m sure there were more than a few raised eyebrows but there is no doubt both have plenty to offer.

“Matt was injured most of the time I was there but every one of the players I spoke to about him said he had been brilliant this season.

“I did train with him for 20 minutes as he was desperate to try and play out the end of the season after picking up an ankle injury.

“He could have gone straight for an operation and then joined Rangers, but he was willing to give everything to try and play for Accrington in the closing weeks of the season.

“That says a lot about his character and suggests Rangers have signed a good one.”

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/rangers/7181516/Andy-Little-Josh-Windass-is-gonna-be-a-big-hit-at-Ibrox.html

Crooks is more highly rated by the Accrington fans. He's a 6 ft 4 in tank of a guy who may be the answer to the defensive midfielder role and can also nod them in up front. A verstaile player.

Playing position; Defender/Midfielder/Striker

I think Jamie Vardy has made an ass of that type of statement. Agree 100% I trust MW so that's good enough for me

I agree, Vardy didn't really score many more goals in a season with Halifax town as an example than he has in the EPL this season. During the 2010/2011 season with Halifax he netted 26 times which is probaly similar to his tally for this season with Leicester. It's difficult to judge how effective Crooks and Windass will be when surrounded by a better standard of team mates but as you say if Mr Warburton thinks they can do it I will trust his judgement.

I agree, Vardy didn't really score many more goals in a season with Halifax town as an example than he has in the EPL this season. During the 2010/2011 season with Halifax he netted 26 times which is probaly similar to his tally for this season with Leicester. It's difficult to judge how effective Crooks and Windass will be when surrounded by a better standard of team mates but as you say if Mr Warburton thinks they can do it I will trust his judgement.

Call me mental but I'm getting far more excited about the prospect of buying these guys from the lower leagues with potential than the dubious transfer policies we have used in the past. ie. Nearly 4million for Lafferty...I really like the idea of a manger that can spot a player and can build something

It might also be something to do with getting old and cranky but football has changed for me. For example, I no longer watch the Champions League as it leaves me cold and bored. Every year it's the same teams and the same games.

Call me mental but I'm getting far more excited about the prospect of buying these guys from the lower leagues with potential than the dubious transfer policies we have used in the past. ie. Nearly 4million for Lafferty...I really like the idea of a manger that can spot a player and can build something

It might also be something to do with getting old and cranky but football has changed for me. For example, I no longer watch the Champions League as it leaves me cold and bored. Every year it's the same teams and the same games.

Well in this instance at least if they didn't work out it's a nothing lost nothing gained scenario instead of millions lost. And you have to think that over the course of it a bunch of them will actually prove to be not just good players but worth millions after being acquired for a relative pittance. Jordan Rossiter in particular may prove to be in that category in 2 or 3 years time.

We appear to be crafting a formidable midfield and I have found myself wondering recently if the Manager thinks that solidifying the midfield will solve the defensive issues. Crooks in particular could act as a big central defender when required such as corners etc. then return to his midfield role when the danger is cleared.

Edited by JFK-1

I think based on MW's signings last season, it does increase the excitement somewhat.

A lot of fans were unsure/nervous about signing unknown players from the lower leagues, but ultimately those signings proved to be VERY successful. For the past few years, we have brought in mainly known names - folk had seen them play & were aware of their capabilities. It is refreshing that MW & McPartland are going out & identifying potential talents once again, and not relying on past reputations etc.