Arsenal bid for Vardy

Jamie Vardy: Arsenal bid for Leicester City striker meets release clause

Arsenal are in talks with Leicester City in an attempt to try to sign striker Jamie Vardy.

The Gunners' bid for the 29-year-old England international is reported to be in the region of £20m and has triggered the release clause in his contract.

Vardy scored 24 goals in the Premier League for Leicester as the Foxes won the 2015-16 title.

The forward, who is currently preparing for Euro 2016, joined City for £1m from Fleetwood in 2012.

Vardy rose through non-league football after being released by Sheffield Wednesday at 16 for being too small, and was named the Football Writers' Association Footballer of the Year for 2015-16.

Since making his England debut in 2015, he has scored three times in eight internationals.

Arsenal, who finished second in the league, 10 points behind Leicester, have already signed Switzerland midfielder Granit Xhaka from Borussia Monchengladbach.

Vardy to Arsenal: The case for and against

Former QPR winger Trevor Sinclair on BBC Radio 5 live: "I am a big believer in karma. He has won the Premier League, he is happy and has a great group of brothers around him. He is settled, so why move?

"When you are a striker you can be in top form but then go to a club, not hit the ground running and then it can gobble you up. I would stay where he is."

Ex-Everton winger Kevin Kilbane on BBC Radio 5 live: "When the big clubs come calling, they might not come again. I think you go.

"You want to test yourself against the best and with better players. Technically, Arsenal are a better side than Leicester."

I don't think he's suited to Arsenal's game: they have to break down 10-behind-the-ball with little space, whereas Vardy needs space to run into which is perfectly suited to Leicester's counter-attacking game. Silly move IMO.

One good goal return in the Premiership, hardly any experience at a high level, 30 in just over 6 months and cost £20 million. Absolutely mind boggling and a bizarre signing for them to make.

Almost as bad as Chelsea signing Torres.....

Arsenal need a goal scorer and Vardy has proven he can score in the Premiership, with an unfashionable team at that. The interesting thing will be whether the way Arsenal play suits him and I am with Rousseau, I'm not convinced it does.

20 million for a 20+ Premiership goalscorer is peanuts in the Premiership these days. Whether we like it or not it is irrelevant. At 29 he still has 4 or 5 good years in him.

Vardy's great assets apart from instinctive finishing are his anticipation of when a colleague is going to make pass/cross and electric movement to where the ball is going. Takes playing time to adjust that anticipation to new team mates who in turn have to learn what movement Vardy is most likely to make.

I don't think he's suited to Arsenal's game: they have to break down 10-behind-the-ball with little space, whereas Vardy needs space to run into which is perfectly suited to Leicester's counter-attacking game. Silly move IMO.

So we shouldn't sign him either :D

So we shouldn't sign him either :D

You jest, but how effective can he be against a team 'parking the bus'? His main strength is pace on the break: how often are we able to 'break' on a team?

You jest, but how effective can he be against a team 'parking the bus'? His main strength is pace on the break: how often are we able to 'break' on a team?

For me it is akin to Lovenkrands. He looked very average for us against Scottish opposition - but in Europe he looked like a world class player at times. The difference is as obvious now as it was then.... European teams looked to attack us and left space in behind where the pace of Lovenkrands could punish them (everyone remembers Inter....) whereas domestically teams played against us with a deep back line leaving no space in between which, effectively, nullified Lovenkrands most dangerous weapon, his pace.