Tav, Foderingham and Kiernan all set to sign new deals

Just as well we score a lot more goals than we concede then.

He's a great player to watch (defensive heart attacks notwithstanding) and I'd rather play with him than without as it stands.

Is his first touch always as bad as it was in the cup final? Nearly every one bounced up to head height

I do wonder how come our defence was so good with Weir in it but not so good with him coaching? I really thought he'd bring out the best from Wilson seeing as how well they played together when he was a teenager.

Thinking back, I do remember Whittaker improving a lot under Walter, and you could see he was doing a lot of stuff that was coached into him.

Aye, true.But,but even when he plays well he still cant defend.

If he was more of a complete player with better consistency he probably wouldn't be here. There's a reason he failed to make an impact in England at various teams. Last season he looked sensational initially then he drifted away and at times looked pretty poor.

He's probably one of our better players but our defence is a mess and this is something that needs to be addressed ASAP.

I do wonder how come our defence was so good with Weir in it but not so good with him coaching? I really thought he'd bring out the best from Wilson seeing as how well they played together when he was a teenager.

Thinking back, I do remember Whittaker improving a lot under Walter, and you could see he was doing a lot of stuff that was coached into him.

Because with the system we play we regularly have just 2 players covering defensively and our team is far, far more attacking in nature than it was previously.

I applaud our more attacking, entertaining style as it's something I've advocated for years but it can't be at the expense of a solid defence. One is just as important as the other. The Kevin Keegan approach of we'll just score one more than the other gets found out eventually.

To be fair the management team has recognised that which is why we've signed Barton, Rossiter and Hill.

I'd still hope for another centre-half as I fear for Wilson's long term improvement (his contribution on Saturday was very poor at times). I'd say Kiernan is the better of the two but he is prone to the odd brain fart as well.

IIRC GS Tav got a proper sore one early on in the CF and if we had cover he would have been off. He was on about 70% that game. His first touch can be suspect and that was the worst I've seen him play in the CF mate. Brilliant going forward taking years off us all at the back though!.

While conceding they exist I'm not concerned about the defensive issues right now or at least not as concerned as I would if I weren't aware things are going too look massively different in the next dew weeks and we don't know yet what effect that will have on the team overall.

We didn't play our first 11 and the manager has stated more than once that he is still looking for another defender. We have to wait till what is deemed to be the strongest first 11 is on the pitch to get a comprehensive idea of what the team will then look like.

Obviously the manager knows as well as we do what the deficiencies are and on the bright side if they can get that sorted out how awesome is this team going to be?

And don't you sometimes get the feeling that at least to some extent enemy raids into our territory might look a shade more impressive than they actually are because it tends to come out of the blue after long periods of total Rangers dominance?

We have Annan, East Stirlingshire and Stranraer to play next the first and last of those games at home which all things being equal should be a relatively easy workout and keep in mind even though it's a cup competition this is still in reality a pre-season build up.

The defensive frailties may look entirely different with Hill and the new midfield in place plus we still have Crooks to come in who aside from being a defensive midfielder is a 6ft 5in tank of a guy who can also play CB and who you would imagine would fall back and take up a suitable position when defending set pieces which have proven to be a problem.

I'm looking to the Burnley match to see how we stand. By that time most of the pieces aside from maybe Crooks who still has an injury issue may be in place. Burnley are probably at least as good and arguably even better quality opposition than anything we will face in the SPL and in the match the manager will have the opportunity to mix and match as much as he pleases.

Let's see how it looks at that time.