Times Talker: Who will be the winners and losers in Scottish football this season?

Last season I believed we were capable of beating anyone if we played to our best,and we did,this season I have the same belief,obviously it will be tougher,however we have strengthened the team/squad so I believe we can/could win the title but not expecting to win it!,challenge?, aye why not?

Last season I believed we were capable of beating anyone if we played to our best,and we did,this season I have the same belief,obviously it will be tougher,however we have strengthened the team/squad so I believe we can/could win the title but not expecting to win it!,challenge?, aye why not?

I agree, but I think the problem with last season that would affect this one, is that we didn't quite have the consistency we need throughout the season. We struggled at least once against almost every team in the league and didn't really come out on top against our two main rivals, head to head.

I think we are addressing that with our latest signings and increase in the size of the main squad, but our two main weaknesses, are still prominent. I think we easily have one of the top two teams, but our ability to win the league requires us to win most of the time even when we don't play well.

Lapses in defence combined with wasting chances is a big liability in a two horse race as it's all about not dropping silly points.

I wish these pundits who are so certain we will be nowhere near winning the title had their jobs on the line if we win it. Surely their bosses would be looking at them saying WTF do you really know about football that we are paying you to write about it when you got this so badly wrong?

I know if one of my employees told me that in their experience we could reasonably predict XYZ is going to happen, and it turns out to be ABC I would be asking huge questions of their suitability for the role.

Are they seriously wanting us to believe that our squad, which is clearly second best in terms of players and cost in this division, with resources to strengthen further, no Europe to take our eye off things, a manager many proper pundits are impressed with, will somehow be behind a two bob outfits like Aberdeen or Hearts, who were over 15 points back from the worst celtic team ever last season and have not strengthened at all?

It can only be bigotry that is making them think like this. They are lucky I am not their editor or boss.

I agree, but I think the problem with last season that would affect this one, is that we didn't quite have the consistency we need throughout the season. We struggled at least once against almost every team in the league and didn't really come out on top against our two main rivals, head to head.

I see where you're coming from but I just looked up some SPL data from last season. The runaway winners also struggled against the two main rivals.

First half of the season matches 1-22 there were two matches between the ultimate winners and Hearts both of which were drawn. A 0-0 in Glasgow and 2-2 in Edinburgh plus two games with Aberdeen where each won on their own patch.

Scarcely any better than our record against the main contenders plus hibs were overwhelmed by us in at least two matches in which we scored a total of 10 goals while that very same hibs ousted both Hearts and Aberdeen from cup competitions and I don't even need to mention what happened in the SC semi.

With that in mind we can't take last season as much of a yardstick and especially so since our team is now vastly different. One game wont be much of a yardstick either but i'm looking to the Hamilton game on Saturday for at least an idea of what's to come.

If last season were any yardstick at all then a convincing victory over Hamilton will be a good sign since Aberdeen scraped a 1-0 at home against them and drew 1-1 in Hamilton. There was little consistency among the main contenders last season and if Aberdeen in particular had managed some consistency they could have won it and will probably never get a better chance now that we're back.

As for anyone tipping anything outside the old firm as even a possibility then a pattern that has persisted for decades would have to be broken and for the life of me I can't see what anyone at all thinks makes this season any different from the past 30.

All a bit of fun, but how we can properly assess championship credentials, when the transfer window is still open and we've not seen how teams shape up in the opening fixtures, is beyond me.

The justifications for Celtic winning the league comfortably, as was given by the majority of pundits, is that they have the biggest squad/resources and that will therefore win through. That could well turn out to be the case. Bookies don't make a habit of getting these things wrong regularly, but I think it ignores a variety of intangible factors that point to things not being straight forward for our east-end chums.

The way that Warburton turned around our squad and style of play would seem to be an anomaly. Typically it takes managers at least a couple of transfer windows to put their stamp on a team and for their tactics and training to take full effect. Whether a manager as high profile as Rodgers will get that long, who knows? All depends on results. Which makes tonight's game all the more intriguing.

My guess is that any significant transfer spending will be contingent on Celtic qualifying for the group stages of the UCL. Europa League will be a poor second best and could well mean he needs to take more of a "sell first" approach to generating his own transfer kitty. If that transpires, will he attract the same quality? Will they make an impact? Can he get more out of the numerous fringe players under Deila? Will Warburton strengthen at the back?

So many questions that can't be answered yet...

Edited by stewarty

Whether a manager as high profile as Rodgers will get that long, who knows? All depends on results. Which makes tonight's game all the more intriguing.

The length of time Rodgers is there is probably more up to him that it is to the board. Rodgers is only there filling some time hoping to rebuild his reputation a little before a return to the EPL. If he did relatively well this season and an offer comes in from the EPL he will be off putting them in transition all over again.

In fact he would bail out mid season if the right offer came in.

And if he doesn't do well and no offers come in well great. Him not doing well probably largely means we are doing well. Either way he wasn't an ideal choice as manager.

The length of time Rodgers is there is probably more up to him that it is to the board. Rodgers is only there filling some time hoping to rebuild his reputation a little before a return to the EPL. If he did relatively well this season and an offer comes in from the EPL he will be off putting them in transition all over again.

In fact he would bail out mid season if the right offer came in.

And if he doesn't do well and no offers come in well great. Him not doing well probably largely means we are doing well. Either way he wasn't an ideal choice as manager.

Agreed. If he missed on CL qualification, bums out of the Europa League and is behind in the Premiership, it'll be interesting to see how long ra hoops faithful keep the faith.

it'll be interesting to see how long ra hoops faithful keep the faith.

If we outplayed them again and won the match in the first meeting which will be on their patch then already the faith will begin to crumble. Even if they beat us and still lost the league to us then again the crowd will turn on him. And as I said if he does do well chances are he will be back down South before next season starts.

Then they need to start all over again with someone else who will want his own team in place. As I said, he was a poor choice in respect of any long terms planning. Makes me think he was a desperation stop gap gamble after what happened to them in the SC semi and the knowledge that we would strengthen close season.

Though we all want it our manager wont be under pressure simply because he didn't win the league this year while theirs will be. Which can only work in our favour especially so if he loses that first meeting.

I wish these pundits who are so certain we will be nowhere near winning the title had their jobs on the line if we win it. Surely their bosses would be looking at them saying WTF do you really know about football that we are paying you to write about it when you got this so badly wrong?

I know if one of my employees told me that in their experience we could reasonably predict XYZ is going to happen, and it turns out to be ABC I would be asking huge questions of their suitability for the role.

Are they seriously wanting us to believe that our squad, which is clearly second best in terms of players and cost in this division, with resources to strengthen further, no Europe to take our eye off things, a manager many proper pundits are impressed with, will somehow be behind a two bob outfits like Aberdeen or Hearts, who were over 15 points back from the worst celtic team ever last season and have not strengthened at all?

It can only be bigotry that is making them think like this. They are lucky I am not their editor or boss.

I mostly agree with you - but for a pundit, I don't think you have to get your predictions absolutely correct - if you could do so, being a professional gambler would probably earn you more. However, I think the issue here is that they are not using football expertise and inside knowledge to make the predictions, the problem is that they are using wishful thinking and bias which is highly unprofessional - I think that IS sackable.

It's not even intelligent to say that they are choosing Celtic to win due to their bigger budget (which seems an excuse for their bias) but then ignore that Rangers have the second largest budget.

All in all, those that excluded Rangers from the top two did not once make a good or intelligent case for their choices. The anti-Rangers narrative from so many is so consistent that it's really hard to ignore, and once again, there is no reciprocation or equal bias by the Rangers related guys.

You really have to wonder why we are the unpopular ones with those from other teams, other than that we are the most successful club. There is a lack of fair mindedness and rationality across the majority of Scottish football which is frightening for the whole of Scottish culture.