Club Statement: Joey Barton suspended for three weeks

Oh, I don't think for a second, Halliday is suddenly a player that will play every game and skipper the side therein.

However, I think he has proven over the last game or two that he's just as good as any of our other options (for the moment at least) and the names you mention will have to prove their desire, fitness and quality before beating Halliday to a first XI position.

Halliday isn't top drawer and switches off too often for my liking but he's a decent defensive midfield option. I'm not so impressed when he plays further forward though and that just takes us back to the midfield balance and combination the manager needs to find going forward. I'm still not sure of our best three but, even if I was, there would still be games in which we needed to change it. In that respect, Halliday is as useful as everyone else.