Club Statement: Joey Barton suspended for three weeks

It is strange but even now I can't help but like the guy.

I genuinely think he gives everything he has to win. I also find it hard to persecute him without knowing what exactly happened.

Additionally Josh Windass' comments pre match showed that the players would welcome him back if he was to get a second chance.

I genuinely think he gives everything he has to win. I also find it hard to persecute him without knowing what exactly happened.

Additionally Josh Windass' comments pre match showed that the players would welcome him back if he was to get a second chance.

I think it's common for players not to hold grudges over such blow outs as this one may have been because it's something that probably happens to at least some degree almost every single day. When the team is largely picked from the training ground as most teams are you have to get right in there to prove yourself and that's going to result in squabbles.

Personally I feel though it looks grim right now it would still be best if he could just shut up, get his head down and get fit. He can't go from the best player in the English Championship to worthless in a matter of weeks. If he gets himself fit and playing like he did last season we will have an even more powerful bench rather than shelling out good money for nothing.

On the other hand if he has been ultra abusive to the manager that's something else again. They can discuss their thoughts with the manager but challenging his authority with abuse is beyond the pale. And again as you say we don't know what happened so maybe he didn't do that at all.

Edited by JFK-1

totally wrong

and the fact halliday was made captain the other night tells us all we need to know

totally wrong

and the fact halliday was made captain the other night tells us all we need to know

I doubt it tells us anything about the Barton situation as I don't think Warburton is childish enough to point score. I think it does tell us that Halliday is next in line to Wallace but I think that has always been the case as I cannot think of another player with the good credentials.

totally wrong

That is a very simplistic view.

As for Halliday - I am big fan but the reason he was captain is that he was the obvious choice with Wallace being out, Miller being on the bench and even Kiernan (who has captained the side before) being injured.

I think selecting Halliday says a lot about the manager's opinion on recent events.

Cant agree with that mate. I think selecting Halliday is far more to do with Barton, Rossiter & Crooks all being unavailable to start the game (assuming he wanted to bed Crooks in from the bench). The armband is a total irrelevance to someone like Warburton, as shown by giving it to Kiernan recently. He wants all players to stand up and be "captain", and I dont think he cares who plays toss-up at the start. He has never mentioned the captaincy as a big thing, its always about the team.

Although Halliday has been much better in the last two games (no coincidence the two games Holt has played alongside him) I still cant see him being a regular feature this season. There are simply better players for his position than him.