Return of the feel good factor

The QoS cup tie has calmed many nerves regarding our recent tendency to dominate games while displaying an inability to hit the back of the net, and in many ways it couldn't have come at a better time. While still reeling from the disappointment of the old firm loss, we then found ourselves embroiled in the Joey Barton drama which has already been so thoroughly deliberated over and still has much mileage to come that, aside from mentioning it we need not discuss it further now.

We then followed the let-down of the old firm encounter with arguably the best display the team has turned in this season yet still failed to take full points in a goalless draw with Ross County. That, aside from anything else, dropped us further down the league which in itself though having no great relevance at this early stage was again a source of concern for a Rangers support spoiled by unmatched success over many decades.

Ross County in particular was a massive blow to the confidence of many fans when it appeared that we could overwhelm a side and they were totally outplayed but still not score goals but I would argue that many failed to see the actual positives involved. We dominated the possession and had 16 shots at goal hitting woodwork in the process with 2 shots cleared off the line and struck every limb the human body has in the County defence resulting in the ball being deflected here there and everywhere but into the net. This massive number of deflections resulted in 14 corners for Rangers to just 1 for County.

That type of luck on the part of County or bad luck from a Rangers perspective is unnatural and chance alone dictates it just couldn't happen on a consistent basis. County may argue and I have seen their fans do so that they brought a top class save out of Wes Foderingham which is true and one other run of the mill save during the match but isn't that what he is there for? If we didn't expect the opposition to get a shot in on goal why bother playing a keeper at all and I doubt many sides out there would consider that they had been under any pressure in a match where the keeper made two saves.

The defence overall which has been an issue not just this season but last also turned in a more confident and assured performance with Clint Hill turning in the type of shift we would expect from a player of his vast experience and undoubted quality. Then to further brighten the state of the defensive worries Danny Wilson also turned in a competent display beside him perhaps coached through it by Hill and Wilson may prove to be a more consistent performer with the experience of a Hill or Senderos beside him.

And to top off the impressive overall performance the lack of goals aside due largely to uncanny bad luck a number of the players including the usually reliable Barrie McKay didn't even perform to the standards we know they are capable of and have come to expect from them. Which brings us back to QoS and the resounding 5-0 victory which I would argue wasn't any better a performance than that we saw against Ross County it was simply a game in which QoS didn't carry the same incredible luck County did. And in which all things being equal you would expect very few teams ever will.

Now it may be said that QoS are a Championship side which is obviously true but it must also be considered that last season proved that there is not a wide chasm between the top teams in the Championship and the average SPL side. I haven't researched it but I can recall off the top of my head at least 5 occasions last season in which a Championship side defeated an SPL side in cup matches. And in fact 3 of the 4 finalists in both national cup competitions were from the Championship.

Turning back again to focus on QoS they are no average Championship side either. They are sitting top of their league and undefeated in their league and further than that have defeated all the other 3 top 4 teams in the Championship. The have beaten 4th placed Falkirk and third placed Raith in league matches while also beating 2nd placed Hibs with a comfortable 3-1 victory away at Easter Road to set up this quarter final tie with Rangers.

Taking all of these factors into account and looking forward to the next game at Aberdeen against a side which finished second in the SPL last season and is expected to be a top 3 contender this season I feel we can truly travel up there with a renewed confidence that we can win this difficult away tie. On the evidence of the past two matches we are at long last beginning to look more like the formidable outfit we were last term and I think we can be confident another display like that will give Aberdeen a stern test they haven't yet experienced in a home match this season.

Barrie McKay looked more like his old self against QoS chipping in with an assist while Marytn Waghorn also received a huge confidence booster with a hat trick while we also had the sight of Michael O'Halloran doing what we brought him in to do by providing 2 assists on the night. Add to that the fact we are likely to have the hugely impressive Josh Windass in the side with the rejuvenated Jason Holt available we truly have nothing to fear going into this match providing the players continue their recent form.

It also comes at a time when we have 4 rest days to prepare while Aberdeen who will play their league cup tie on Thursday against difficult opposition in the shape of St Johnstone with only 2 rest days following it and at a key time everything appears to be running in our favour for once. I say bring it on.

Edited by JFK-1

All that has been missing from nigh any game this season was the conversion of good chances into goals. As much as has been made of our "defenisve weakness", the main problem was that we did not convert the many chances we have created. Had we done that, it would have eased the pressure off the defence too, taken them out of the headlights a wee bit.

Sunday is a good test of where we are right now (sic), at the start of the campaign. For all the bluster about the OF game (a defeat that was 2 goals too high, IMHO), it is Hearts and Aberdeen who are probably of the quality level we are at the moment.

We are still finding our feat and best position, with th restless legions watching on. Hence I would suggest the same line up like yesterday's against Aberdeen, with the exception of Gilks and Kranjcar, whom I would replace with Foderingham and Windass respectively. And no, I did not forget Wallace.

Edited by der Berliner

Just hope we can take this into sunday's game

we badly need a win against them.

I genuinely think the game will suit us on Sunday as Aberdeen will be more open than most teams we play against. I just wouldn't start with Krankjar. I would also keep the same back 4. I liked the energy of Hodson and some consistency at the back will be good for us. Wallace has been off the pace so maybe a rest and a rethink might be good for him.

My team would be:

-------------Foderingham------------

-----------Hill-------Wilson------------

Tav-----------------------------Hodson

-----------Holt------Halliday-----------

----------------Windass-----------------

O'Halloran----------------Waghorn

----------------Garner-------------------

We have goals in our team and if we stay on the front foot it takes pressure of our back 4.

Edited by BlackSocksRedTops