First 13 league games since 1986

LIFTED FROM FF:

For all the talk of slow starts and all that, I decided to compare this season's first 13 games to the rest of our season's in the top flight since the arrival of Souness in 1986. I've put them all as 3 points a game (it was 2 points a game up until 1993/94). Here's they are (out of a possible 39 points and slower starts in bold)

Graeme Souness

86/87 - 28

87/88 - 21

88/89 - 33

89/90 - 24

90/91 - 25

Walter Smith

91/92 - 31

92/93 - 32

93/94 - 19

94/95 - 26

95/96 - 32

96/97 - 32

97/98 - 28

Dick Advocaat

98/99 - 26

99/00 - 34

00/01 - 25

01/02 - 30

Alex McLeish

02/03 - 35

03/04 - 32

04/05 - 30

05/06 - 22

Paul Le Guen

06/07 - 19

Walter Smith

07/08 - 28

08/09 - 30

09/10 - 28

10/11 - 34

Ally McCoist

11/12 - 35

Mark Warburton

16/17 - 23

If we had beat Aberdeen then we would be equaling Advocaats first season...

Edited by Waltersgotstyle

So it is a slow start. Not sure I get this.

Well, clearly the circumstances are different in terms of budget, our starting position (just after promotion) and the overall quality at our disposal.

With that in mind, although our start isn't great and criticism valid, it's not as bad as some will suggest.

Well, clearly the circumstances are different in terms of budget, our starting position (just after promotion) and the overall quality at our disposal.

With that in mind, although our start isn't great and criticism valid, it's not as bad as some will suggest.

I think we can now laugh at all the sooth sayers who said we would not finish in the top six. 9 points and 14 goals adrift of No.7 . If everything stays on the same curve ending in the bottom six was a pipe dream of the disillusioned.

Edited by pete

I think we can now laugh at all the sooth sayers who said we would not finish in the top six. 9 points and 14 goals adrift of No.7 . If everything stays on the same curve ending in the bottom six was a pipe dream of the disillusioned.

Well, the league is quite close in a general sense with most teams taking points off each other so we shouldn't get complacent.

However, finishing in the top 4 was always going to be most likely and I'd hope the team will improve enough to secure 2nd place and better performances against Celtic in the months ahead. Add in a good Scottish Cup run then the season will be acceptable enough and hopefully allow us to build again next summer.

There's still a lot of work to do and it's important the fans continue to back the club as much as is possible.