Mark Warburton: Random nature of football has gone against Rangers

I agree with your main paragraph and have also said consistently that I do not agree with loan players keeping back our own youngsters with the objective of "sending (the loanees) back as better players"; but in the case of Hyndman, IMHO he's better than anything else currently available, so I'm not clear which of our "best players" he is keeping out of the team? Halliday?

With dB on this one. Problem is we have stalled and recruitment has been poor with limited sources due to MW inexperience. I know for a fact I he board is split on MW. But I like what he's trying to do. If we get into Europe and show signs of improvement then he deserves to see out his contract.

Anyone who thinks this is going to be less than a 5 year job is not thinking clearly about where we have been. But we need winners in the team and that has to be his focus. The only winner he recruited was unfortunately a psychopath lunatic. He also needs to build his contacts (most players have come from the same agent) and he needs to build his experience. He needs to be tactically more flexible.

We need to give our support for a while yet. There are no alternatives. We're skint and I for one think it's still a golden opportunity to develop a style of play which will do well in the future whilst there is less pressure right no to beat Celtic than normally.

Edited by Walterbear

With dB on this one. Problem is we have stalled and recruitment has been poor with limited sources due to MW inexperience. I know for a fact I he board is split on MW. But I like what he's trying to do. If we get into Europe and show signs of improvement then he deserves to see out his contract.

Anyone who thinks this is going to be less than a 5 year job is not thinking clearly about where we have been. But we need winners in the team and that has to be his focus. The only winner he recruited was unfortunately a psychopath lunatic. He also needs to build his contacts (most players have come from the same agent) and he needs to build his experience. He needs to be tactically more flexible.

We need to give our support for a while yet. There are no alternatives. We're skint and I for one think it's still a golden opportunity to develop a style of play which will do well in the future whilst there is less pressure right no to beat Celtic than normally.

I respectfully disagree with your opinion on the style of play. I get it, but don't agree. Having a philosophy is great, and I wouldn't want any old hoof it and head it tactic again, but I really doubt his philosophy is going to work. We need to have the ability to change tactics or risk being stifled time after time when teams park the bus and press us high. Relying on teams tiring is not a great plan.

Comparing his philosophy to Brenda, even Brenda changes his approach from time to time according to the circumstances. MW's reluctance to adapt is going to kill him.

Edited by Barebear

Sorry, by 'best players' I meant Hyndman, he's a good player. I'm not against the loan system, but when we need to sacrifice our aims in favour of other teams, I fail to see where the advantage is. If we can't use Hyndman to our benefit, what's the point?

IMHO the wrong type of angle. We do not solely do a favour to Bournemouth here, we take his kind of quality in the only way open to us at this moment in time.

I saw Rossiter last summer at the Youth World Cup (or whatever it was) and he looked quite good. He wasn't too bad when he started either, only that we played three of his type at the same time and it didn't work out (Barton, Rossiter and Halliday). We snatched him - and Dodoo - for peanuts, yet Hyndman ain't available. So while we sure help his development and do Bournemouth "a favour" in that respect, it us who profit from his quality right now.

Exactly. The reality is we need to source from different roots and getting a good reputation with EPL teams is important. It's a two way street and if there is a risk to a player he either doesn't play him or he hooks him. I don't think it is outrageous to protect other peoples assets. That unfortunately is the reality of where our club is and will be until off pitch issues are resolved and we can step up our investment appeal.

Agree totally that he needs to be more flexible and if he isn't that will kill him. He is running out of time to demonstrate he is learning. You simply have to win the battle first in Scotland to earn the right to play football and where playing conditions are variable to say the least and where our opponents want to kick us off the park. We are not Real Madrid and he needs to get that into his head or he will be finished sooner rather than later. I am not a fan of Tav as a defender but I think he could mix it up a bit in midfield and go to a back four for a while with hodson and Wallace sitting in a bit more. If we sit off teams a bit more and challenge them to break us down none of them (except the Tim) have what it takes. Right now a junior team would score against us.

Exactly. The reality is we need to source from different roots and getting a good reputation with EPL teams is important. It's a two way street and if there is a risk to a player he either doesn't play him or he hooks him. I don't think it is outrageous to protect other peoples assets. That unfortunately is the reality of where our club is and will be until off pitch issues are resolved and we can step up our investment appeal.

Whether it was outrageous is possibly open to discussion but it was stupid to state it in a post-match statement where you were played off the park and the player was the best player on the park.

This may be a little off track but it is to do with MW.My son has sent me a copy of a Rangers tweet about the manager having put the players through a 12K run to prove their commitment,weird or not?

References I see are @Rangers.FC and rng.rs/2kMozQR

Only just looked at official site miss-read the tweet it was the ground they covered during game in midfield.

I'm wondering how we actually know that accurately. In training they have some kind of gear on that measures the distance they cover but in a match situation do they have pedometers in their boots or their mobile phones in their pants measuring the number of steps they take? Perhaps they have microchips attached to some part of their anatomy :confused:

In any event surely the most important thing is how effective they are not how far they run?

Edited by BrahimHemdani