Raith Rovers left seething after being forced to play Ryan Stevenson in goal

Keeper KO rage Ayr United 1 Raith 0 – Rovers left seething after being forced to play Ryan Stevenson in goal

The striker borrowed*gloves from Dundee United's*Cammy Bell for the clash at Somerset Park

RAITH ROVERS were left seething after the SPFL refused to postpone their game with Ayr — forcing them to play striker Ryan Stevenson in goal.

Stevenson took his place between the sticks due to an injury crisis which left the Fifers without any of their three recognised keepers.

However, the 32-year-old, who borrowed gloves from Dundee United’s Cammy Bell, was unable to prevent Rovers slipping further into the relegation mire as Ayr edged the win.

Raith expected the basement battle to be re-arranged, given Hearts were allowed to reschedule a game with Inverness in similar circumstances last year.

But Hampden bosses ordered the match to go ahead.

Asked about the decision gaffer John Hughes said: “For the respect of Raith Rovers and me as manager you don’t want my answer.

“Trust me, you don’t want my answer on what I think.“We couldn’t bring in someone on loan as we already have four players on loan.“We were close so many times but couldn’t get it done.“I’d every confidence in him and he acquitted himself very well, but we have ended up losing a key game.”

Ayr took full advantage of Raith’s unfortunate predicament to claim a desperately needed win.

Farid El Alagui scored the only goal of the game, heading past Stevenson on the hour mark to earn Ian McCall’s men a first league win in 16 attempts.

Rovers, unable to bring in a player on an emergency loan having already used up their quota, spent the day searching in vain for a free agent. So Stevenson got the nod

Scottish SHun

Edited by ian1964

I think the point is that they couldn't get a 'keeper in, not because they were not allowed but because they couldn't get a deal done. However, if a team has no 'keeper, surely that game must be postponed? And if it happened for Hearts last year... stupidity from the SFA.

Raith Rovers had options to sign a keeper before fielding Ryan Stevenson, says SPFL

Raith Rovers had plenty of ways to sign a new goalkeeper rather than play midfielder Ryan Stevenson in their 1-0 loss to Ayr United, according to the Scottish Professional Football League.

Rovers manager John Hughes said the governing body should be "embarrassed" by its decision to reject his club's request for a postponement.

His club had no fit goalkeepers.

"Raith Rovers had a number of options open to them once their only fit goalkeeper was injured," said the SPFL.

"They could have brought in an under-21 goalkeeper, or an out-of-contract goalkeeper of any age, in each case without any permission from the SPFL board.

"They could also have sought permission from the SPFL board to bring in a goalkeeper of any age on an emergency basis.

"All of these options were explained to Raith Rovers, who chose to do none of these things and instead requested a postponement on the day of the match."

The Kirkcaldy club, who have Kevin Cuthbert and Aaron Lennox recovering from injuries sustained earlier this year, had gone without a goalkeeper on the bench for their previous three matches.

Then Conor Brennan injured a foot in Saturday's defeat by Queen of the South.

Hughes hit out at the SPFL after Farid el Alagui's header moved Ayr, who are second-bottom of the Championship, to within one point of his eighth-placed side.

"It's just making a mockery of it, isn't it?" he said. "They need to have a right good look at themselves. I hope they're embarrassed.

"The guys that sit and vote and put their hand up for it to go ahead, half of them couldn't kick the blankets off the bed, never played football. That's the problem - they don't know what it's all about.

"Maybe for the best of Scottish football, we'll take the hit, but this can't happen again in Scottish football.

"We've got four loans in, so we'd have to try to get someone to go back to their club before we could [sign a goalkeeper on loan].

"We'd be looking at someone who is under 21 for the loan and, if we'd brought in a young keeper, I don't think he'd have done any better than Ryan Stevenson.

"He had a great save in the first minute. He acquitted himself very, very well."

So the club says it couldn't get anyone in in time, their quota was used up anyway, but the SPFL says these options were there. Hm.

Raith expected the basement battle to be re-arranged, given Hearts were allowed to reschedule a game with Inverness in similar circumstances last year.

“Trust me, you don’t want my answer on what I think.“We couldn’t bring in someone on loan as we already have four players on loan.“We were close so many times but couldn’t get it done.

Rovers, unable to bring in a player on an emergency loan having already used up their quota, spent the day searching in vain for a free agent.

Raith Rovers had a number of options open to them once their only fit goalkeeper was injured," said the SPFL.

"They could have brought in an under-21 goalkeeper, or an out-of-contract goalkeeper of any age, in each case without any permission from the SPFL board.

"They could also have sought permission from the SPFL board to bring in a goalkeeper of any age on an emergency basis.

"All of these options were explained to Raith Rovers, who chose to do none of these things and instead requested a postponement on the day of the match."

... then there was this u21 stuff. Hey, does Hibs not have a u21-side to get their defenders from?

Well, if put under the microscope and view it very strict, one may not lay any fault at the doorsteps of the SPFL. Yet, "common sense" and "sporting integrity" sure apply to all and some leeway should be given.

Edited by der Berliner