RangersFC has today confirmed Pedro

RANGERS Football Club has today confirmed Pedro Caixinha as Manager.

The 46-year-old Portuguese was the number one target for the Ibrox Board and the Club are delighted to announce he has joined on a three-year deal.

Pedro, who recently coached*Qatar Stars League*side*Al-Gharafa, becomes*just*the sixteenth*manager to take charge of*Rangers and he arrives with a wealth of experience.

A former assistant manager at Sporting Lisbon, Panathinaikos, Rapid Bucharest and the*Saudi*Arabian national side, he progressed to manager of Uniao Leiria in 2010 before spells at Nacional then Mexican club Santos Laguna – where he won three major honours – before joining Al-Gharafa in 2015.

Graeme Murty will remain in the dugout for Sunday’s derby game against Celtic but Pedro will attend and begin working at the training ground on Monday.

Rangers Managing Director Stewart Robertson commented: “We are delighted to welcome Pedro to Rangers.*We*compiled*a shortlist of high-quality candidates*for the position*but we knew after our initial meeting with Pedro that he was the right man to*take this*club forward.

“He is a man of great experience and authority and the Board has no doubt he will help us achieve our long-term goals. I would like to thank the Rangers supporters for their patience*throughout the process*but we were determined*to appoint the best candidate*possible.

“I would also like to thank Graeme Murty for taking control of the*first team.*He will complete his duties at Celtic Park on Sunday*before returning to his role with the under-20s*and Pedro will begin his work*on Monday morning.”

Pedro Caixinha commented: “It is a great honour to join Rangers Football Club. This*Club has a great*history and tradition and I am proud to follow*in the footsteps of legendary*Rangers managers like Walter Smith, Graeme Souness and Jock Wallace.

“Rangers is*a name that is*known worldwide and I am looking forward to forging a positive relationship with supporters and meeting the playing squad*and staff at the*Club. I know there is a lot of hard work ahead and*I assure all our fans that I will do all I can to provide a winning and entertaining Rangers team.”

Details of Pedro’s backroom team will be confirmed in due course.

https://rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/caixinha-confirmed-manager/

Will Murty resume his previous position ?

Yes, it says after Sunday's game he'll return to his role as U20's Coach.

I'd like to see him stick around, and eventually get a role with the first-team. He's done well with what was left of him.

Edited by Rousseau

This appointment really baffles me.

If we got 60 applicants, in what universe does a CV like Pedro's get past the first round of selections onto even our longest of long lists? Show me the list of the 60 CV's we got in for the job and I will pick 30 better candidates than what we have ended up with. All very suspicious.

It is one thing to say he interviewed well, what I want to know is how on earth he got an interview with his dismal track record of nothingness in the footballing wilderness?

I will of course give him every chance and support at the games, but I fully expect this to be our Dr Jo, and my crystal ball predicts this guy to be gone before the start of the 18-19 season. At that point whoever was on the selection panel should be sacked as well.

His back room appointments will be very interesting. If he brings in a assistant who knows us and the game here, he will have a better chance. If he brings in all his own men his demise will be all the quicker.

I'm completely uninspired.

Sometimes things just don't smell right from the outset, and this is such an event.

This appointment really baffles me.

If we got 60 applicants, in what universe does a CV like Pedro's get past the first round of selections onto even our longest of long lists? Show me the list of the 60 CV's we got in for the job and I will pick 30 better candidates than what we have ended up with. All very suspicious.

It is one thing to say he interviewed well, what I want to know is how on earth he got an interview with his dismal track record of nothingness in the footballing wilderness?

I will of course give him every chance and support at the games, but I fully expect this to be our Dr Jo, and my crystal ball predicts this guy to be gone before the start of the 18-19 season. At that point whoever was on the selection panel should be sacked as well.

His back room appointments will be very interesting. If he brings in a assistant who knows us and the game here, he will have a better chance. If he brings in all his own men his demise will be all the quicker.

I'm completely uninspired.

Sometimes things just don't smell right from the outset, and this is such an event.

if i was him i'd appoint Pedro mendes to his coaching staff to bridge the gap immediately