During the period of exile, when the waters and backwaters of Scottish fitba' played host to Rangers, a large travelling support followed, and followed on.

Ibrox, itself, was often filled, and over the piece, crowds held up to an extraordinary degree, particularly when the quality of entertainment is considered.

Our friends in the media, never ones to avoid a lazy, and ill considered explanation, declared this to be a show of "defiance" by the support, and this quickly became their default position, to the point of cliche. Of course there was, always, a pejorative component to their use of the word, with

elements of insubordination, of recalcitrance, of disobedience, implied, if not always explicitly stated

I have noticed, as must have the media, that Ibrox, now, following the Club's return to the top division, is enjoying more or less capacity crowds, regularly, and certainly as far as home support for League business is concerned.

I have not noticed any explanation for this. No new reason, or elucidation, or interpretation has come my way.

Is the era of defiance over? Are the media afraid to utter such words as loyal, staunch, or even the less charged devoted, steadfast, or dedicated?

I think we should be told.

Edited by Uilleam

Now that celtic are under the microscope re historic abuse and the subsequent cover-up, the mhedia will come up with some sound bite to distract attention away from them.

I've not noticed that. Well I've not read any news today yet so perhaps they are this morning but they certainly haven't been up until now. A part of a TV programme shared with other clubs followed by the biggest selling paper devoting its front page to Nicky Clark is all I have noticed. Huge threads on Rangers forums preaching to the converted aside, it's been as though nothing happened.

Edited by SteveC

I've not noticed that. Well I've not read any news today yet so perhaps they are this morning but they certainly haven't been up until now. A part of a TV programme shared with other clubs followed by a the biggest selling paper devoting its front page to Nicky Clark is all I have noticed. Huge threads on Rangers forums preaching to the converted aside, it's been as though nothing happened.

Saw the front page of the Rhebel in the shop: main story teacher and ex-sellik boys' club coach suspended.

I am unconvinced that this will go away, or be swept under the carpet. Too many victims to hide, I think.

I am almost convinced that Daly's documentary was an attempt to deflect, and divert the focus from his beloved hoops: yes, things were bad, but look at these other Clubs, too. It's not a defence, but may work in the PR stakes, particularly when a large element of rasellik minded lack intellectual stature.

Saw the front page of the Rhebel in the shop: main story teacher and ex-sellik boys' club coach suspended.

I am unconvinced that this will go away, or be swept under the carpet. Too many victims to hide, I think.

I am almost convinced that Daly's documentary was an attempt to deflect, and divert the focus from his beloved hoops: yes, things were bad, but look at these other Clubs, too. It's not a defence, but may work in the PR stakes, particularly when a large element of rasellik minded lack intellectual stature.

The Celtic friendly mhedia will be whipping themselves ( an accepted religious ritual ? ) into a frenzy of deny and deflect articles over the coming days, weeks, perhaps even months as potentially more victims come forward. Having only watched a run through of Dalys documentary it certainly reeked of "what aboutery" an argument generally derided and dismissed, particularly by his paymasters at BBC Pacific Quay on their Sportsound offering!

[/b]

The Celtic friendly mhedia will be whipping themselves ( an accepted religious ritual ? ) into a frenzy of deny and deflect articles over the coming days, weeks, perhaps even months as potentially more victims come forward. Having only watched a run through of Dalys documentary it certainly reeked of "what aboutery" an argument generally derided and dismissed, particularly by his paymasters at BBC Pacific Quay on their Sportsound offering!

We will see what emerges from the media's wiping and washing. I do think, however, that there are too many victims for a cover up to succeed. Anticipate a deluge.

Covering up will, surely, make people accessories, which may be causing concern among the unwashed hierarchy, and former hierarchies.

To date, there has been very little of actual substance about our own illustrious Club. Long may that continue.

Reference attendances : I remember a discussion between BBC Scotland's Jum Spence and Stuart Cosgrove at the arse end of McCoist's first season. Both Spence and Cosgrove were active participants on the Rangers Tax Case Blog and the language and acceptances of that site became broadcast common currency. We were being cast down and the glee being anticipated by the Tayside duo was palpable. Spence wondered aloud as to what type of crowds could be expected at Ibrox the next season? Cosgrove rattled on about Rangers supporters being addicted to success and would soon disappear to seek glory elsewhere. He concluded, "oh, they'll be back playing in front of seven, eight thousand".

Talking of PQ subservience to ra Sellik, I note this morning's BBC Scotland headline on Ceefax and website reference Gerry King being charged, 'Football figure charged over sex abuse'.

Regards the Nicky Clark headline it was not current Dumfermline or ex Q.o>S. player with strips but EX RANGERS PLAYER shown in Gers strip.

Was he not still at Rangers when this incident occurred?