Neil Lennon: signing Danny Swanson can turn the Hibees into Scotland’s SECOND force

NEIL LENNON believes signing Danny Swanson is the first step towards establishing Hibs as Scotland’s second force.

The Easter Road boss claimed that his side were inferior to only champions Celtic after Saturday’s Cup loss to Aberdeen.

Now he’s out to back up his bold statement by assembling a squad capable of finishing above the Dons, Rangers and Hearts next season.

Lenny is convinced many of the pieces he needs are already in place — provided they agree new deals to stay on.

And if he can get the players he wants during the summer he sees no reason why his side can’t be the one that takes the fight to Brendan Rodgers’ Hoops next time around.

He said: “I did say after the game I think we’re the second-best team in the country.“That’s my opinion — you don’t have to agree with it.“The fact is that Aberdeen are right now.

“But from what I see, and what I saw on Saturday, if we had been in the Premiership this year, we would have been challenging for second place.

“We get the crowds, we have a good infrastructure.

“Rangers will be stronger next season. Whether they’ve got the resources to get Pedro Caixinha what he wants for next season or not, you’d like to think that year on year they’ll get stronger.

“To be fair to Derek McInnes, he has done a fantastic job, probably everything that they could have asked of him.“But I look at the game in isolation, and it doesn’t faze me at all. We played better football.

“I need to add some quality to the squad and I like Danny. He has had a great season with St Johnstone. Whenever I have watched him, for me he has been St Johnstone’s best player.

“He has creativity, he has goals in him. He is a Hibs boy, which is not important but it does help.“And don’t forget I’ve got assets in the team as well that not many teams in Scotland have. We had a bid of around £2million for Jason Cummings last summer.

“Not many other clubs outwith Celtic and Rangers can attract that kind of money for players.“There will be suitors out there for John McGinn as well.

“Again we would be looking for serious money if that was the case — but I’m not saying we want to sell him.“I’m saying this is what I have that makes me confident we can make a good fist of things.”

Lennon, though, admits getting his key men signed up is just as important as bringing others in.

A whopping SEVENTEEN players at the Easter Road club will be out of contract in weeks.

Darren McGregor, Lewis Stevenson, David Gray, Fraser Fyvie, Martin Boyle, Marvin Bartley and Grant Holt are all among them.In addition the loan deals of Efe Ambrose, keeper Ofir Marciano and Andrew Shinnie are all due to expire.

And Lennon expects plenty of talking to take place now their Cup defence is over and promotion has been secured.

He said: “The majority of them are on decent money as it is. Some offers have been improved.“I’m not losing any sleep over it. I think the majority of them will sign on. I’d be surprised if they do go. I don’t think there’s many clubs out there who can offer them what we can.

“There’s a familiarity. They’ve had a couple of great seasons and we can get better.“It’s up to the players. I’ve pitched my case across to them.“They’ll have their personal issues, and maybe footballing reasons, but they would have to be really good footballing reasons to leave here now.”

Meanwhile, Lenny plans to rest several of his title winning stars against Raith Rovers.

And that will give winger Chris Humphrey the chance to persuade the Hibs boss that he too is worthy of a new deal.

The 29-year-old joined on loan from Preston in January but hasn’t played since coming off against Hearts the following month.

A family matter down south hindered the player’s recovery process, with manager Lennon giving the player time off to address the situation.

But having now put his injury and personal woes behind him he is determined to show what he can do against the Fifers.

He said: “It’s been a frustrating time but hopefully I can play a part in the last three games and see where that takes me.“I had a bit of time off with family problems as well and I missed a lot of rehab because of that, so that made thing take longer as well.

“But the gaffer was brilliant with me and I’d just like to thank him for that.“He’ll do anything for his players. I found that out when I went through off-field problems.

“He was there every step of the way for me and showed another side of him that people might not see when he is out there on the touchline.

“I’ll try to play these last three games and all I can do is take it from there and see what happens at the end of the season.”

That's hilarious!!!! (and I'm no meaning the Chewin the fat sketch)

if we had been in the Premiership this year, we would have been challenging for second place.

Priceless....if ma Auntie had baws, she'd be ma uncle...but that's not the case!!!

They have just won the Championship & have 17 players with their deals ending in a few weeks. If they are soooooo great, why weren't these players tied up long ago.

Is that the Danny Swanson who had two seasons at Bayern before Saints outbid PSG for him and how much more did the grubbees pay to snatch him from under the noses of Real?

Or am I imagining that?

Laughable. When have they EVER been any second force in Scotland? Not in my lifetime yet they think a return to the SPL after three years in the championship is a game changer? I'm looking forward to seeing it blow up in their faces and the screams of anguish as they find their real place in the scheme of things which will be scrapping to be top 5 at best and being sporadically relegated which has always happened to them.

Spending 3 years in the championship hasn't changed that and I hope Lennon is the focus of their screams when reality bites.