The Club1872 Crossroads

Appreciate the sentiment but it was AM89 and @TheBigBlueBear6 that put the (excellent) piece together.

You can take some of the credit for making me read it Frankie ;-)

Well done AM89 and @TheBigBlueBear6 ..... I can confirm that my first contribution was made 2 minutes ago and my monthly contributions will continue via direct debit.

I've tried to post this as a comment on the blog, but I'm having some trouble with that. Thanks to Frankie for reactivating my account so that I can post my response to the authors here.

I'm one of the three resigning directors, and I'm delighted to read such a positive take on how Club 1872 can move forward. Indeed, this is the kind of thing I think Club 1872 should be encouraging. I'd like to see articles like this in the blog section of the Club 1872 website. At the March board meeting, this was discussed - "Laura suggested that the blog section of the website be re-energised by making contact with people who’ve previously written blogs for Club 1872. This was agreed. Laura will contact these people, and email the wider membership to invite others to submit blog ideas." (from the board meeting summary). This would encourage wider discussions of members' ideas, thoughts, opinions, concerns, etc. and improve dialogue between the board and members.

I'm not sure why this wasn't taken forward by the remaining directors, but as you rightly point out, the focus now should be on rebuilding and not going over old ground. Joanne and I have offered to return and see out the remainder of the term. If members agree to this, we will pick up the blog task along with other plans that are very much in line with your thoughts on improving communication. The following ideas were already put forward and agreed prior to the resignations

* Monthly activity report (inc. details of board meeting summaries)

* Opportunities for members to meet and/or put questions to Stewart

* Formal structures laid out and implemented for the creation and management of working groups

A format for the monthly report was submitted by a member, and looked at by the board. All were in agreement that we should take that idea forward. In addition, Joanne had proposed to write a monthly summary of what each board member had been working on. Joanne and I have maintained communication with the member who wrote the monthly report format, and we are hoping for further engagement and support from him should we be re-elected.

Stewart Robertson was in agreement that he should have more contact with Club 1872 members. He's already committed to meeting with members, and to weekly meetings with the Club 1872 board. I like the idea that members could submit questions for him, but this would definitely require support in the form of sub-groups. Previously, managing correspondence from members submitting questions required several hours' (sometimes days') work. As you rightly point out, the workload is huge.

I believe that sub-groups will be the key to Club 1872's success. Again, this was discussed at the March board meeting. I agreed to work on a formal structure for sub-groups, with assistance from another director. I hope that some progress has been made on this front, but it's definitely something that will be a priority for Joanne and I should we be allowed to serve out our term. In February, Joanne and I started a skills audit, inviting members to contact us with details of how they could help the organisation. This got a great response, and Joanne and I were in the process of organising the responses to form functioning sub-groups. Again, this will immediately be picked up if we can re-engage.

I'd love to chat more with you about the ideas we share, and about some of your other ideas that I think require more thought. Joanne and I have been overwhelmed by the number of members who've contacted us and offered to provide practical support if we get back involved. This support, along with the plans outlined above, would allow many of our ideas, which you share, to be implemented.

We look forward to a response from the board on our offer to re-engage.

Board Director's Resignation

Club 1872 announces the resignation of Craig Houston from the Board with immediate effect.

The resignation is for personal reasons. We would like to thank Craig for his efforts whilst on the Board and thank him for his offer to continue and support Club 1872.

On behalf of Club 1872 we wish him well for the future.

I posted this in the CH thread but then thought it should be in here also!

Laura Fawkes and Joanne Percival re-engagement

Dear member

We are pleased to advise that Laura Fawkes and Joanne Percival will be re-joining the Club 1872 team with immediate effect.

Their specific focus going forward will be on social media, communication/engagement with members, and the creation and management of sub-groups.

We shall be polling members later this week on Laura and Joanne’s proposed re-appointment to the Club 1872 Boards.

Laura and Joanne are completely committed to Club 1872 and to its one member, one vote ethos and would wish the members to be given the opportunity to decide on their return as Board members. It is a key decision for Club 1872 and one to be taken by its members.

Club 1872

Well written and considered article Frankie and looking at C1872 as an outsider a lot of what you say makes sense and makes one wonder how many of the points you highlight were not addressed as default at conception.

As I said, I am an outsider (not a member of C1872) and will therefor not delve into the current or past dispute's around the formation and governance of the collective and neither will I become embroiled in the personal attributes of C1872 board members (past or present) I do not know them and have had no personal exposure to them so I'm unqualified to comment and not entitled to do so.

I will add to the debate though and address my own situation as a non member.

On the face of things I would be an ideal membership target for the organisation, ST holder, Interested in the Club and its affairs both on and off the park and most importantly I am fortunately in a financial position to contribute.

But I have never considered becoming a member, not for a second - I remember getting one of the first leaflets promoting the venture, It was at NARSA last year and was passed to me by a long term member of this forum, I dismissed it instantly.

Did I think it was doomed to fail? well I certainly had doubts on any long term viability.

Did I mistrust some of the characters involved in the formation? perhaps, but I also thought they would be found out and eventually side lined.

Did I find the way 1 group managed to effectively undermine another in the jostle for position pre C1872 somewhat unethical? Yup.

Did I doubt the collectives claim of independence? only a fool would not.

I could go on, but in fact none of the above are the reason I have declined joining,

for me I simply do not agree that fan ownership would be of material benefit to either the club or the members, as you alluded to when we were at our lowest ebb the RST and RF were attractive concepts, fans were desperate to help and wanted to ensure the club was in safe hands for future generations, the 2 collectives were conduits for fan frustration and uptake was brisk.

It was always inevitable that stability would bring security and that fans collective uptake would wane.

Rangers fans are notoriously fickle, we passionately love our club and perhaps this is why we hardly ever seem to agree on anything, each and every one of us have opinions how Rangers should be governed and I could never envisage a harmonious fan base, best answer wins with us, but alas there always seems to be a thousand best answers.

Additionally, and perhaps its just because I'm an old fashioned capitalist, I cannot reconcile myself with the concept of buying shares and not owning them (at least RSC share could be personally redeemed)

Nevertheless I fully agree with the sentiment that anyone willing to give up there own time and volunteer (without ulterior motive) for roles within C1872 deserve our respect and the support of the membership, sticking ones head above the parapet and becoming a board member of the club was always going to come with significant risk and I wish the genuine folks involved in the club all the very best and hope they can go forward prove folk like me wrong.

Great post gaspard, and one that I can relate to, on so many of your points. The problem is that if all fans had this attitude, we would have no club. The only reason DK put his money in was to save his club. There is no investment in a club in Scotland so any money has to come from the fans. We can't even rely on any material sponsorship money.

With that said, I think the one key point where I strongly agree with you is on the issue of representation of the fans by Club 1872. I agree that trying to harmonise the fan base, with its multiplicity of opinions, is a real challenge. Perhaps the Club 1872 requires more of a presidential figure and election. It's just an idea, but then we would have something similar to Real Madrid and Barcelona where one single person creates his manifesto and all others around him/her supports in that if elected.

What appears to be the case is our inability the function as a team or committee. Under those circumstances a president or dictator is the way to go. That's capitalism at its finest. ;-)

Damn phone. I keep deleting my own message.

Two new resignations now, due to, they claim, James Blair taking all control unto himself, including the accounts. Blairites blasting back with counterclaims.

Another day, another clusterf...

I can't link to the joint statement but here's a follow up: